Blazing Saddles

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Robbo, Apr 4, 2004.

  1. Robbo

    Robbo Guest

    On June 29, Warner Home Video (WHV) will commemorate the
    three-decade birthday of the great comedy classic "Blazing Saddles" by
    releasing a new 30th Anniversary Special Edition DVD featuring
    additional scenes and 5.1 audio. The unforgettable Mel Brooks comedy,
    Warner Bros.' most successful ever, is listed as #6 on American Film
    Institute's (AFI) list of the best comedies of all time -- "AFI's 100
    Years...100 Laughs." Also on June 29, WHV will debut a second Mel
    Brooks film on DVD, "Dracula: Dead and Loving It."
    The new "Blazing Saddles" DVD will also include Brooks'
    commentary, a Madeline Kahn featurette, a cast reunion documentary,
    and will feature "Black Bart," the 1975 television pilot inspired by
    the movie. Both titles will be available for $19.97 SRP.
    "Blazing Saddles," first released in 1974, grossed nearly $120
    million at the domestic box office and has gone on to sell more than 3
    million videos and DVDs. The Western film genre spoof is one of
    Brooks' top commercially successful films, along with "Young
    Frankenstein," also released that same year.
    "Blazing Saddles" stars Cleavon Little as an unlikely sheriff in
    the town of Rock Ridge, Harvey Korman as the villain, Madeline Kahn as
    a Marlene Dietrich-style chanteuse, Gene Wilder as the wacko Waco Kid,
    and Brooks himself as a dimwitted politico. The film was nominated for
    three Academy Awards(R) -- Supporting Actress for Kahn, Best Editing,
    and Best Song.
    Also on June 29, WHV will debut Mel Brooks' "Dracula: Dead and
    Loving It" -- a comic reinvention of the Bela Lugosi classic about a
    Transylvanian vampire who works his evil spell on a perplexed group of
    Londoners. Directed and co-written by Brooks, who has a starring role
    as well, the film also features Harvey Korman, Leslie Nielsen, Peter
    MacNicol, Steven Weber, and Amy Yasbeck. There is also a cameo
    appearance by Brooks' wife, Anne Bancroft. The DVD extra content
    includes the theatrical trailer and commentary with Mel Brooks,
    writers Rudy DeLuca and Steve Haberman, and actors Steven Weber and
    Amy Yasbeck.
    Photos available at www.whvdirect.com.

    Robbo, Apr 4, 2004

  2. Robbo wrote:

    > On June 29, Warner Home Video (WHV) will commemorate the
    > three-decade birthday of the great comedy classic "Blazing Saddles" by
    > releasing a new 30th Anniversary Special Edition DVD featuring
    > additional scenes and 5.1 audio. The unforgettable Mel Brooks comedy,
    > Warner Bros.' most successful ever, is listed as #6 on American Film
    > Institute's (AFI) list of the best comedies of all time -- "AFI's 100
    > Years...100 Laughs."
    > Also on June 29, WHV will debut a second Mel
    > Brooks film on DVD, "Dracula: Dead and Loving It."

    Rent them both for a "In the name of humanity, Mel, what HAPPENED to you
    after you moved to LA?" double feature...

    Derek Janssen (Seriously: The "Dracula" bits *without* Leslie Nielsen
    are sadder than the ones with)

    Derek Janssen, Apr 4, 2004

  3. Robbo <> wrote:

    : On June 29, Warner Home Video (WHV) will commemorate the
    : three-decade birthday of the great comedy classic "Blazing Saddles" by
    : releasing a new 30th Anniversary Special Edition DVD featuring
    : additional scenes and 5.1 audio.
    (snip)

    Hmmmm.. it was originally released in glorious MONO sound. How do they
    make 5.1 out of that?? Is it anyway like they make 3D Viewmasters out of
    "flat" 2D pics?

    Richard in Boston, MA, USA

    Richard G Amirault, Apr 4, 2004
  4. Robbo

    Bill Guest

    Hmmmm.. it was originally released in glorious MONO sound. How do they
    > make 5.1 out of that?? Is it anyway like they make 3D Viewmasters out of
    > "flat" 2D pics?
    >
    > Richard in Boston, MA, USA

    I don't fully understand the procedure, but mono films such as "The Wizard
    of Oz," "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs," "Monty Python and the Holy
    Grail," and "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" have all been released onto DVD
    in recent years with 5.1 Dolby Digital audio tracks. Of the above mentioned
    titles, all but "The Wizard of Oz" included the original mono track as an
    option.

    Bill, Apr 4, 2004
  5. What I want to know is, when is somebody finally going to release Silent Movie
    and High Anxiety on DVD?

    "It makes me proud. So proud of you. I see innocence shining through."

    Adam and the Ants - Dog Eat Dog

    Electro Robo Boogie Bot, Apr 4, 2004
  6. Robbo

    HungInSI Guest

    One way and the best results come if you have the original sound stems, music
    and dialogue, a true stereo with separation can be done, otherwise Chase Sound
    can better expalin how that do it if they only have one mono track

    HungInSI, Apr 4, 2004
  7. Robbo

    Jay G Guest

    Richard G Amirault <> wrote:
    > Robbo <> wrote:
    >

    >> On June 29, Warner Home Video (WHV) will commemorate the
    >> three-decade birthday of the great comedy classic "Blazing
    >> Saddles" by releasing a new 30th Anniversary Special Edition DVD
    >> featuring additional scenes and 5.1 audio.

    > (snip)
    >
    > Hmmmm.. it was originally released in glorious MONO sound. How do
    > they make 5.1 out of that??

    Same way they remaster old albums into stereo. The audio track for
    a film isn't recorded all at once. All the seperate parts: dialogue, music,
    sond effects, etc. are recorded seperately on different tracks. For the
    original mono soundtrack, they went and mixed all of these elements
    onto one track. For a stereo or surround remix, they take all the original
    elements and mix them into mulitple tracks.

    -Jay

    Jay G, Apr 5, 2004
  8. Robbo

    el stinky Guest

    Jay G wrote:

    > Same way they remaster old albums into stereo. The audio track for
    > a film isn't recorded all at once. All the seperate parts: dialogue,
    > music, sond effects, etc. are recorded seperately on different
    > tracks. For the original mono soundtrack, they went and mixed all of
    > these elements
    > onto one track. For a stereo or surround remix, they take all the
    > original elements and mix them into mulitple tracks.
    >
    > -Jay

    you're right, but what you are describing is REMIXING. now for films where
    the original soundtrack elements may be missing, a process that applies to
    MASTERING is used.

    every sound you hear sits somewhere on the audio frequency scale. with a
    parametric EQ you can do a pretty good job of isolating something like a car
    horn, a doorbell ring, a plate breaking or an explosion and send it to its
    own track for mixdown later. these sounds are fairly common and more often
    than not are sitting in a library somewhere or the foley calvary can be
    called in. the musical score for a film usually still exists so whats left
    for the most part is dialogue. this can be isolated and sent to its own
    track. actors rarely speak at the same time so each actor can be sent to
    their own track. now we have all the elements to make a new soundtrack, the
    musical score, the dialogue and the sound effects.

    its simple enough that you could do this on your own with fairly cheap
    multitrack software, a sound effects cd, the soundtrack recordings, a
    parametric EQ plugin and a bit of patience.

    you know those really goofy novelty songs where someone does a "duet" with a
    long dead star or family member? listen closely next time, maybe with
    headphones. you can hear when the original elements are used or picked right
    off a mono master and placed in the new recording.

    el stinky, Apr 5, 2004
  9. Robbo

    Metlhd3138 Guest

    I thought Mel didnt like commentary. It was his justification for no commentary
    on "the producers" (though "spaceballs" did have commentary).

    Metlhd3138, Apr 6, 2004
  10. Robbo

    Dan_Musicant Guest

    On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 14:54:29 GMT, "Bill" <> wrote:

    :
    :>
    :Hmmmm.. it was originally released in glorious MONO sound. How do they
    :> make 5.1 out of that?? Is it anyway like they make 3D Viewmasters out of
    :> "flat" 2D pics?
    :>
    :> Richard in Boston, MA, USA
    :>
    :
    :I don't fully understand the procedure, but mono films such as "The Wizard
    :eek:f Oz," "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs," "Monty Python and the Holy
    :Grail," and "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" have all been released onto DVD
    :in recent years with 5.1 Dolby Digital audio tracks. Of the above mentioned
    :titles, all but "The Wizard of Oz" included the original mono track as an
    :eek:ption.
    :
    But how good do they sound? Do they manage to get good separation and
    sound?

    Dan_Musicant, Apr 6, 2004
  11. Robbo

    Dan_Musicant Guest

    On 06 Apr 2004 15:32:51 GMT, (Metlhd3138) wrote:

    :I thought Mel didnt like commentary. It was his justification for no commentary
    :eek:n "the producers" (though "spaceballs" did have commentary).

    I think The Producers was at least semi-autobiographical. He probably
    deferred because it would have been embarrasing. My guess.

    Dan_Musicant, Apr 6, 2004
  12. Dan_Musicant () writes:
    > On 06 Apr 2004 15:32:51 GMT, (Metlhd3138) wrote:
    >
    > :I thought Mel didnt like commentary. It was his justification for no commentary
    > :eek:n "the producers" (though "spaceballs" did have commentary).
    >
    > I think The Producers was at least semi-autobiographical. He probably
    > deferred because it would have been embarrasing. My guess.

    I can remember when it was difficult to have a chance at viewing it.
    It sure didn't play much here at the rep houses. But more important,
    I'm sure I read something years ago that explained why The Producers
    didn't see much circulation. Sadly, I can't remember what it was
    about.

    But if I'm remembering properly, then that might be a reason why
    there's no commentary.

    Michael

    Michael Black, Apr 6, 2004
  13. Robbo

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Michael Black" <> wrote in message
    > I can remember when it was difficult to have a chance at viewing it.
    > It sure didn't play much here at the rep houses. But more important,
    > I'm sure I read something years ago that explained why The Producers
    > didn't see much circulation. Sadly, I can't remember what it was
    > about.
    >
    > But if I'm remembering properly, then that might be a reason why
    > there's no commentary.

    The fact that Brooks is preparing a new movie adaptation of the stage
    musical may have something to do with his reluctance to promote the old
    movie.

    Joshua Zyber, Apr 7, 2004
  14. "Joshua Zyber" () writes:
    > "Michael Black" <> wrote in message
    >> I can remember when it was difficult to have a chance at viewing it.
    >> It sure didn't play much here at the rep houses. But more important,
    >> I'm sure I read something years ago that explained why The Producers
    >> didn't see much circulation. Sadly, I can't remember what it was
    >> about.
    >>
    >> But if I'm remembering properly, then that might be a reason why
    >> there's no commentary.

    > The fact that Brooks is preparing a new movie adaptation of the stage
    > musical may have something to do with his reluctance to promote the old
    > movie.

    Well this was like thirty years ago.

    Now, maybe his intent was to make a play out of it, and thus was somehow
    able to limit distribution in the old days, but if so, then it sure took
    a long time to turn it into a play.

    Michael

    Michael Black, Apr 7, 2004
  15. Robbo

    Wade365 Guest

    << Now, maybe his intent was to make a play out of it, and thus was somehow
    able to limit distribution in the old days, but if so, then it sure took
    a long time to turn it into a play. >><BR><BR>

    Broadway is now the whoring of our youth... it's like the re-make strip mining
    going on in Hollywood - Broadway has run out of talent and ideas and now
    they're recycling... or regurgitating, more like it.

    "Tommy"... Townshend needs to be shot for that one.

    Mel Brooks is no different, trying to fill the coffers one last time on the
    nostalgia held for things he did when he was actually still vital as a creator.

    I still remember "Men In Tights", Mel. It's the sort of thing you can never
    ever get out of your mind or off your shoe, no matter how hard you scrape.

    Humbug.

    Wade365, Apr 7, 2004
  16. Robbo

    Metlhd3138 Guest

    >I still remember "Men In Tights", Mel. It's the sort of thing you can
    >neverever get out of your mind or off your shoe, no matter how hard you
    >scrape.Humbug.

    Hey, i actually LIKED men in tights (though i will contend that spaceballs was
    mel's last CONSISTENTLY good film).

    Metlhd3138, Apr 7, 2004
  17. Metlhd3138 () writes:
    >>I still remember "Men In Tights", Mel. It's the sort of thing you can
    >>neverever get out of your mind or off your shoe, no matter how hard you
    >>scrape.Humbug.
    >>

    > Hey, i actually LIKED men in tights (though i will contend that spaceballs was
    > mel's last CONSISTENTLY good film).

    I just watched Spaceballs having bought it on the weekend for six dollars
    Canadian.

    I saw it when it came out, and it's funnier than I remember. Not as good
    as his earlier films, but funny, plust he references those earlier films.

    One thing I was pleased by was the menu. It seemed like they'd put some
    effort into it, making it like the movie and you were actually seeing
    something. (Press an option, and it scans over to a section for it,
    and you see little memos etc as it scans.)

    This isn't a big thing, but in my very limited acquaintance with
    DVDs (only since September, and only a handful of DVDs viewed),
    I only see fairly generic menu material, and they have the same
    look and sound to them. They don't look line any movie, and aren't
    particularly appealing.

    Michael

    Michael Black, Apr 8, 2004
  18. On 7 Apr 2004, Metlhd3138 wrote:

    > >I still remember "Men In Tights", Mel. It's the sort of thing you can
    > >neverever get out of your mind or off your shoe, no matter how hard you
    > >scrape.Humbug.

    > Hey, i actually LIKED men in tights (though i will contend that spaceballs was
    > mel's last CONSISTENTLY good film).

    Still, I'd rather have a DVD of the complete WHEN THINGS WERE ROTTEN.

    swac

    Stephen Cooke, Apr 14, 2004
  19. Robbo

    Mark W Guest

    "Stephen Cooke" <> wrote in message

    > On 7 Apr 2004, Metlhd3138 wrote:
    >
    > > >I still remember "Men In Tights", Mel. It's the sort of thing you can
    > > >neverever get out of your mind or off your shoe, no matter how hard you
    > > >scrape.Humbug.

    > > Hey, i actually LIKED men in tights (though i will contend that

    spaceballs was
    > > mel's last CONSISTENTLY good film).

    > Still, I'd rather have a DVD of the complete WHEN THINGS WERE ROTTEN.
    >
    > swac

    IMHO none of Mel Brooks' films are *consistently* funny, not all the way
    through. His films tend to have one joke stretched beyond breaking point.

    Mark W, Apr 15, 2004
  20. Robbo

    Bill Guest

    > IMHO none of Mel Brooks' films are *consistently* funny, not all the way
    > through. His films tend to have one joke stretched beyond breaking point.

    Did you every see his first film, "The Producers?" It's wonderfully funny,
    from start to finish.

    Bill, Apr 15, 2004