    would see how Google handled it. The URL above is the result, or one of
    them.

    Like my earlier cars it brought me to many places.

    Gordon, Apr 25, 2004

  2. On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 18:52:50 +1200, Gordon <> wrote:

    >http://www.telix.com/delta/products/index.html

    Telix for DOS is an awesome program, and to this day it is still used
    occasionally in the business I work for to data download/upload to the
    phone system.

    --
    Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    Gisborne, New Zealand

    Kristofer Clayton, Apr 25, 2004

  3. Gordon

    Alan Howard Guest

    Have to love that footer:

    "This page is Netscape 2.0/MSIE 2.0 enhanced, and may not appear correctly
    in other browsers."

    Some things never change :)

    Alan Howard, Apr 25, 2004
  4. Gordon

    Rob Guest

    Gordon <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > http://www.telix.com/delta/products/index.html
    >
    > For those of you who were here before the media used the word Internet.
    >
    > I was doing a dung out and came across Telix as a printed word. Thought I
    > would see how Google handled it. The URL above is the result, or one of
    > them.
    >
    > Like my earlier cars it brought me to many places.

    And let's not forget Telemate - the archrival comms program to
    Telix...... well it was when I was at Polytech.

    When I went to Windows I bought ZOC (Zap-O-Comm). Still going strong
    today and is a very powerful terminal programme. Used it a while back
    to SSH into a FreeBSD box.

    Rob, Apr 26, 2004
  5. Gordon

    steve Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > http://www.telix.com/delta/products/index.html
    >
    > For those of you who were here before the media used the word Internet.
    >
    > I was doing a dung out and came across Telix as a printed word. Thought I
    > would see how Google handled it. The URL above is the result, or one of
    > them.
    >
    > Like my earlier cars it brought me to many places.

    Me, too.

    I used Telix until I converted to TE/2 on OS/2.

    Then, I went to minicom on Linux....at which point the web was born.

    steve, Apr 26, 2004
  6. In article <>,
    Gordon <> wrote:

    >For those of you who were here before the media used the word Internet.

    We used Kermit a lot in those days, because it was free and available
    for just about every conceivable plaform. I made sure the hardware
    technicians kept a good collection of RS-232C cables on hand, I can tell
    you. And the breakout box got a frequent workout.

    I remember a lecturer had a file on his Commodore 64 that had some
    control characters in it that needed changing. The only editor I knew of
    that was capable of making such changes without completely munging the
    file was TECO on the VAX. With Kermit available on both platforms, I
    could transfer the file, make the edit, and transfer it back.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Apr 28, 2004
  7. Gordon

    Keith Guest

    In article <>, ldo@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand says...
    > In article <>,
    > Gordon <> wrote:
    >
    > >For those of you who were here before the media used the word Internet.

    > We used Kermit a lot in those days, because it was free and available
    > for just about every conceivable plaform. I made sure the hardware
    > technicians kept a good collection of RS-232C cables on hand, I can tell
    > you. And the breakout box got a frequent workout.

    I thought Kermit was a protocol rather than a programme? Stretching back
    in the dull recesses of my DOS days I think we used to use Procomm+ as
    out comms utility.

    (I only biffed my old home-made breakout box last year we we did an
    office shift).

    Keith, Apr 28, 2004
  8. Gordon

    pbs Guest

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Gordon <> wrote:
    >

    >>For those of you who were here before the media used the word Internet.

    > We used Kermit a lot in those days, because it was free and available
    > for just about every conceivable plaform. I made sure the hardware
    > technicians kept a good collection of RS-232C cables on hand, I can tell
    > you. And the breakout box got a frequent workout.
    >
    > I remember a lecturer had a file on his Commodore 64 that had some
    > control characters in it that needed changing. The only editor I knew of
    > that was capable of making such changes without completely munging the
    > file was TECO on the VAX. With Kermit available on both platforms, I
    > could transfer the file, make the edit, and transfer it back.

    Putting on a Yorkshire accent: Child's Play. A sysadmin at the London
    School of Economics wrote an comms assembler program which assembled to
    about 640 bytes of machine code. It would send data across the serial
    ports of 2 machines. It did speed setting and handshaking which PIP.COM
    did not do. Once on a new CPM machine, this program could be used port a
    binary Kermit which could be used to communicate with the VAXs and other
    CPM machines. BUT getting it onto the new machine was not easy, as not
    all CPM machines came with assemblers and the floppy disk formats were
    usually incompatible between machines. The easiest method was to key in
    the 640 bytes!

    AL Downloading Ltd http://www.aldownloading.co.uk/ was founded by a
    couple of young teenagers (The Laurie lads) to meet the demands of
    companies to move data from CPM (and other computer media) to another
    formats and it is still in business doing data conversions.

    pbs, Apr 28, 2004
  9. Gordon

    pbs Guest

    pbs, Apr 28, 2004