Blank Screensaver vs Monitor Off?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by joe, Aug 26, 2005.

  1. joe

    joe Guest

    I have a rather technical question about using the _blank_ screensaver (fyi:
    that's the ss which does no graphics) vs. turning the monitor off. Which
    combination (ON/OFF) of these two saves more electricity? (I am trying to
    keep my electric bill to a minimum without shutting down my pc.) My monitor
    is a ViewSonic Pro Series P95f+.

    The following are my guesses for how much energy is used in each of the four
    possible combinations.

    Monitor ON / Screensaver ON = middle energy usage
    Monitor ON / Screensaver OFF = maximum energy usage
    Monitor OFF / Screensaver ON = minimum energy usage
    Monitor OFF / Screensaver OFF = middle energy usage

    Is the combination, OFF/ON, the minimum?

    PS: flamers need not reply.

    tia,
    --
    joe
    http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/jbc33/

    joe, Aug 26, 2005

  2. joe

    joe Guest

    Re: Blank Screensaver vs Monitor Off? SOLUTION

    I just realized that the electricity drives the monitor first. So with the
    monitor OFF it doesn't matter what the screensaver is doing since the
    monitor _can't_ respond.

    This is pretty straight forward so I apologize for asking such a
    basic/obvious question.

    joe, Aug 26, 2005

  3. joe

    JANA Guest

    Your best power savings is to physically shut the monitor off. Using a blank
    screen saver only puts black on the monitor. Its high voltage and scans are
    still working. The reason why it would be black, is because the tube is
    biased down. The lower beam current difference is very small in comparison
    to having the rest of the monitor in operation.

    The typical computer monitor like the one you have should pull about 0.15
    kW/hr.

    Going from what we pay for power over here, from this you can calculate how
    much power it is consuming. If you were paying out $0.08 cents per kW/hr,
    then the cost would be $0.012 per hour, or $0.29 per 24 hour period. I don't
    consider this a whole lot of money, in relation to our cost of living.

    If you really want to save a lot of cost with a monitor, you should consider
    a TFT, or LCD screen. These typically will consume about 0.045 kW/hr. The
    effective power cost for this should be about 1/3 average of that of a CRT
    monitor.

    As for your PC, the power consumption is very high in relation to a descent
    laptop. A typical desktop PC can easily consume more than 0.25 kW/hr.

    If you want to have a computer that will consumer very little power, you
    should consider a Centrino type laptop computer. This would cost next to
    nothing to run, and give a very good performance.

    The best way to save power with any device is to use the power switch.
    Remember that turning the power on and off of electronic devices over short
    periods of time, will reduce their expected life span. Most of the stress on
    these devices occurs when the power is coming on.

    If you are frequently shutting and restarting your electronic devices, you
    may find that you will have a greater maintenance, and replacement cost,
    than the electricity to run them.

    --

    JANA
    _____