    wait the normal screen will reappear.

    It's almost as if I'm running out of memory.

    How can I troubleshoot this?

    Not Bill Gates, Apr 24, 2004

  2. Not Bill Gates

    slumpy Guest

    ....and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel Not Bill Gates
    decided it was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:

    > AMD K-6
    > 450 MHZ
    > 320 MB RAM
    > Windows XP
    > Office XP
    > 12 GB hard drive, 6.7 GB free
    >

    > On occasion while running simultaneous programs on my PC, when doing
    > an alt + tab to switch screens/programs, I will get a blank white
    > screen, and if I wait the normal screen will reappear.
    >
    > It's almost as if I'm running out of memory.
    >
    > How can I troubleshoot this?

    You could probably try doing one thing at a time.

    You obviously have some kind of problem with your machine and fixing one
    thing may resolve other problems you have.
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, Apr 24, 2004

  3. Not Bill Gates

    NN Guest

    Not Bill Gates wrote:
    > AMD K-6
    > 450 MHZ
    > 320 MB RAM
    > Windows XP
    > Office XP
    > 12 GB hard drive, 6.7 GB free
    >

    > On occasion while running simultaneous programs on my PC, when doing
    > an alt + tab to switch screens/programs, I will get a blank white
    > screen, and if I wait the normal screen will reappear.
    >
    > It's almost as if I'm running out of memory.
    >
    > How can I troubleshoot this?

    Right click on My Computer, select Properties, then look at the
    "Performance" tab. If the system resources are below 50%, then something is
    eating up your resources. (That is, if XP has the same way to go about
    looking at the amount of system resources you have. If I'm not correct,
    please someone give the proper instructions). You'll want to try and exit a
    few programs (mainly, those in your system tray that you know you absolutely
    don't NEED) and try again.

    Also maybe check your screen saver and choose 'blank screen' or 'none'.

    Another thing might be that you might need to update your video drivers. Go
    to the manufacturer's site and see if newer drivers are available.

    That's about all I can think of offhand.

    NN

    NN, Apr 24, 2004
  4. Not Bill Gates

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Not Bill Gates" <> wrote in message
    > AMD K-6
    > 450 MHZ
    > 320 MB RAM
    > Windows XP
    > Office XP
    > 12 GB hard drive, 6.7 GB free
    >

    > On occasion while running simultaneous programs on my PC, when doing an

    alt
    > + tab to switch screens/programs, I will get a blank white screen, and if

    > wait the normal screen will reappear.
    >
    > It's almost as if I'm running out of memory.
    >
    > How can I troubleshoot this?

    XP on that speed of computer? Expect a delay. Not being facetious...just
    real. It is slow enough to be a dog with Windows XP. (Your AMD K6 processor
    is not one of my favorites.) The other consideration would be your video
    card - which you didn't tell us about. Also, the size of applications
    currently running is an issue. You might consider looking at your swap file
    settings, defragging the hard drive, etc.

    °Mike° has an excellent page with tips on keeping your system running at
    best performance: http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html

    Toolman Tim, Apr 24, 2004
  5. Not Bill Gates

    ICee Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > "Not Bill Gates" <> wrote in message
    >> AMD K-6
    >> 450 MHZ
    >> 320 MB RAM
    >> Windows XP
    >> Office XP
    >> 12 GB hard drive, 6.7 GB free
    >>

    >> On occasion while running simultaneous programs on my PC, when doing
    >> an alt + tab to switch screens/programs, I will get a blank white
    >> screen, and if I wait the normal screen will reappear.
    >>
    >> It's almost as if I'm running out of memory.
    >>
    >> How can I troubleshoot this?
    >>

    > XP on that speed of computer? Expect a delay.

    It's not so much the speed of the CPU, as it is the paltry 32 MB of
    memory. Isn't the minimum 64 MB?

    ICee, Apr 24, 2004
  6. Not Bill Gates

    trout Guest

    ICee wrote:

    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >> "Not Bill Gates" <> wrote in message
    >>> AMD K-6
    >>> 450 MHZ
    >>> 320 MB RAM
    >>> Windows XP
    >>> Office XP
    >>> 12 GB hard drive, 6.7 GB free
    >>>

    >>> On occasion while running simultaneous programs on my PC, when doing
    >>> an alt + tab to switch screens/programs, I will get a blank white
    >>> screen, and if I wait the normal screen will reappear.
    >>>
    >>> It's almost as if I'm running out of memory.
    >>>
    >>> How can I troubleshoot this?
    >>>

    >> XP on that speed of computer? Expect a delay.

    > It's not so much the speed of the CPU, as it is the paltry 32 MB of
    > memory. Isn't the minimum 64 MB?

    You figure he's fibbing when he says "320 MB"?
    --
    "He is not Bill Gates, after all."

    trout, Apr 24, 2004
  7. Not Bill Gates

    ICee Guest

    trout wrote:
    > ICee wrote:
    >
    >> Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>> "Not Bill Gates" <> wrote in message

    >>> XP on that speed of computer? Expect a delay.

    >> It's not so much the speed of the CPU, as it is the paltry 32 MB of
    >> memory. Isn't the minimum 64 MB?

    > You figure he's fibbing when he says "320 MB"?

    Ok; who hid the "0" till now? :)
    My eyesight must be worse than I thought. Thanks for "clearing that
    up", trout.

    ICee, Apr 24, 2004