    Are these speed ratings just a way to charge more for some media than
    others, or is there a genuine limitation?

    ---Atreju---

    Atreju, Oct 22, 2004

  2. Atreju

    Oldguy Guest

    Atreju wrote:
    > I posted this a while ago but got no response.
    > I am wondering what exactly is the true implication of the "speed"
    > that a given DVD media (or CD, for that matter) is.
    >
    > For example, I have DVD blanks that are "4X" but I have successfully
    > recorded on many of them with no problem at all at faster speeds (8x,
    > 12x).
    >
    > Are these speed ratings just a way to charge more for some media than
    > others, or is there a genuine limitation?
    >

    > ---Atreju---

    The rated speed is the maximum that the manufacturer will gurantee they
    can be written error free. That has been the "norm" for years in the
    computer world for certifying magnetic media, such as magnetic tapes.

    Oldguy, Oct 22, 2004

  3. Atreju

    Atreju Guest

    On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 16:30:43 -0400, Oldguy <>
    wrote:

    >Atreju wrote:
    >> I posted this a while ago but got no response.
    >> I am wondering what exactly is the true implication of the "speed"
    >> that a given DVD media (or CD, for that matter) is.
    >>
    >> For example, I have DVD blanks that are "4X" but I have successfully
    >> recorded on many of them with no problem at all at faster speeds (8x,
    >> 12x).
    >>
    >> Are these speed ratings just a way to charge more for some media than
    >> others, or is there a genuine limitation?
    >>

    >> ---Atreju---

    >The rated speed is the maximum that the manufacturer will gurantee they
    >can be written error free. That has been the "norm" for years in the
    >computer world for certifying magnetic media, such as magnetic tapes.

    Ok but in all practical terms... given that any manufacturer might
    produce several different speed media:
    1. Do they really go to the trouble of producing different quality
    media, or are they, as I indicated earlier, simply trying to make more
    money on some than others.
    2. Given ideal system configuration (ie: fast CPU, plenty of RAM, fast
    hard drive access, no other programs hogging CPU cycles,
    top-of-the-line burner, etc.) I suppose that regardless of their
    "guarantee" the media will burn well at any reasonable speed.

    ---Atreju---

    Atreju, Oct 24, 2004
  4. Atreju

    Oldguy Guest

    Atreju wrote:
    > On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 16:30:43 -0400, Oldguy <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Atreju wrote:
    >>
    >>>I posted this a while ago but got no response.
    >>>I am wondering what exactly is the true implication of the "speed"
    >>>that a given DVD media (or CD, for that matter) is.
    >>>
    >>>For example, I have DVD blanks that are "4X" but I have successfully
    >>>recorded on many of them with no problem at all at faster speeds (8x,
    >>>12x).
    >>>
    >>>Are these speed ratings just a way to charge more for some media than
    >>>others, or is there a genuine limitation?
    >>>

    >>>---Atreju---

    >>The rated speed is the maximum that the manufacturer will gurantee they
    >>can be written error free. That has been the "norm" for years in the
    >>computer world for certifying magnetic media, such as magnetic tapes.

    > Ok but in all practical terms... given that any manufacturer might
    > produce several different speed media:
    > 1. Do they really go to the trouble of producing different quality
    > media, or are they, as I indicated earlier, simply trying to make more
    > money on some than others.
    > 2. Given ideal system configuration (ie: fast CPU, plenty of RAM, fast
    > hard drive access, no other programs hogging CPU cycles,
    > top-of-the-line burner, etc.) I suppose that regardless of their
    > "guarantee" the media will burn well at any reasonable speed.
    >

    > ---Atreju---

    I can't say about 1), but as for 2) I regularly burn 4x media at 6 or
    8x. ^x works every time. 8x works most of the time (but considering it
    is cheap media what the heck).

    Oldguy, Oct 24, 2004
  5. Atreju

    Papageno Guest

    "Atreju" <> wrote in message
    > 1. Do they really go to the trouble of producing different quality
    > media, or are they, as I indicated earlier, simply trying to make
    > more money on some than others.
    > 2. Given ideal system configuration (ie: fast CPU, plenty of RAM,
    > fast hard drive access, no other programs hogging CPU cycles,
    > top-of-the-line burner, etc.) I suppose that regardless of their
    > "guarantee" the media will burn well at any reasonable speed.

    Only an insider would know. But from experience in general manufacturing, I
    would conjecture that there are really very few different kinds of media
    coming from any one manufacturer. It costs more money to make two kinds of
    things than to make just one. Meanwhile, it costs no more to make an 8x disk
    than to make a 4x, right? Initially there's a higher cost. But manufacturing
    efficiencies kick in as volume rises. And this market has been moving FAST.

    Now, 4x disks sell for less than 8x disks. But people with older burners
    can't burn at 8x, so they don't want to pay more for 8x media. So the
    manufacturers could simply take their 8x media and slap a 4x label on the
    box. It sells for less, but it's better than letting that sale go to a
    competitor. And they're still making money on the 4x disks, right?

    As I said, this is conjecture. But this scenario presents itself so often in
    manufacturing of all types of goods.

    Any disk manufacturer employees out there willing to comment???

    Papageno, Oct 24, 2004
  6. Atreju

    Biz Guest

    "Atreju" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 16:30:43 -0400, Oldguy <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Atreju wrote:
    > >> I posted this a while ago but got no response.
    > >> I am wondering what exactly is the true implication of the "speed"
    > >> that a given DVD media (or CD, for that matter) is.
    > >>
    > >> For example, I have DVD blanks that are "4X" but I have successfully
    > >> recorded on many of them with no problem at all at faster speeds (8x,
    > >> 12x).
    > >>
    > >> Are these speed ratings just a way to charge more for some media than
    > >> others, or is there a genuine limitation?
    > >>

    > >> ---Atreju---

    > >The rated speed is the maximum that the manufacturer will gurantee they
    > >can be written error free. That has been the "norm" for years in the
    > >computer world for certifying magnetic media, such as magnetic tapes.

    > Ok but in all practical terms... given that any manufacturer might
    > produce several different speed media:
    > 1. Do they really go to the trouble of producing different quality
    > media, or are they, as I indicated earlier, simply trying to make more
    > money on some than others.
    > 2. Given ideal system configuration (ie: fast CPU, plenty of RAM, fast
    > hard drive access, no other programs hogging CPU cycles,
    > top-of-the-line burner, etc.) I suppose that regardless of their
    > "guarantee" the media will burn well at any reasonable speed.

    Media works similarly to cpu chips or video card gpus. WHereas they test
    teh chips to decide whther it will be an AMD 2700+, or a 3100+, depending on
    how the chip tests out, same with video gpus within the same chip series.

    Do a google search and read about cd media/dvd media write strategies. If
    you want to continue to burn the media at higher than rated speeds, good
    luck, and expect to start seeing your media unreadable over time.

    Biz, Oct 24, 2004
  7. "Papageno" <> wrote in message

    > "Atreju" <> wrote in message
    > > 1. Do they really go to the trouble of producing different quality
    > > media, or are they, as I indicated earlier, simply trying to make
    > > more money on some than others.
    > > 2. Given ideal system configuration (ie: fast CPU, plenty of RAM,
    > > fast hard drive access, no other programs hogging CPU cycles,
    > > top-of-the-line burner, etc.) I suppose that regardless of their
    > > "guarantee" the media will burn well at any reasonable speed.

    > Only an insider would know. But from experience in general manufacturing,

    > would conjecture that there are really very few different kinds of media
    > coming from any one manufacturer. It costs more money to make two kinds of
    > things than to make just one. Meanwhile, it costs no more to make an 8x

    disk
    > than to make a 4x, right? Initially there's a higher cost. But

    manufacturing
    > efficiencies kick in as volume rises. And this market has been moving

    FAST.

    > Now, 4x disks sell for less than 8x disks. But people with older burners
    > can't burn at 8x, so they don't want to pay more for 8x media. So the
    > manufacturers could simply take their 8x media and slap a 4x label on the
    > box. It sells for less, but it's better than letting that sale go to a
    > competitor. And they're still making money on the 4x disks, right?
    >
    > As I said, this is conjecture. But this scenario presents itself so often

    in
    > manufacturing of all types of goods.
    >
    > Any disk manufacturer employees out there willing to comment???

    The only problem with this arguement is that the media is encoded with its
    rated maximum burn speed. Much burning software will read this and not
    allow you to burn faster - at least not easily.

    Ian.

    Electric Fan Club, Oct 25, 2004