blank emails

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Larry Smith, Sep 7, 2004.

  1. Larry Smith

    Larry Smith Guest

    I know we all get our share of spam and I'm actually lucky to get some
    but not a deluge.
    Lately I've gotten one or two per day of messages from people/groups
    that I've never heard of. The subject is varied, there are no
    attachments, and the message body is totally blank.

    I don't understand why anyone would bother sending this crap. At
    least we know that spammers want to sell you some garbage 99.9% of us
    don't want.
    People who write virusses are psychopaths just intent on doing damage.

    But why would anyone want to be involved with this nonsense?

    Can anyone enlighten me?

    TIA

    --

    Larry Smith
    --------------------

    Larry Smith, Sep 7, 2004

  2. Larry Smith

    John Holmes Guest

    Larry Smith came up with this:

    > I know we all get our share of spam and I'm actually lucky to get some
    > but not a deluge.
    > Lately I've gotten one or two per day of messages from people/groups
    > that I've never heard of. The subject is varied, there are no
    > attachments, and the message body is totally blank.
    >
    > I don't understand why anyone would bother sending this crap.

    Their intention is to send as many messages as possible to generate
    internet traffic, slowing it down.

    > At least we know that spammers want to sell you some garbage 99.9% of >
    > us don't want.
    > People who write virusses are psychopaths just intent on doing damage.
    >
    > But why would anyone want to be involved with this nonsense?
    >
    > Can anyone enlighten me?
    >
    > TIA

    Some other thing: is that a valid email address you used in your usenet
    post? Be prepared for even more spam in the future, then.

    --
    -John Holmes-

    "It ain't much, if it ain't Dutch..."

    John Holmes, Sep 7, 2004

  3. I imagine spammers send out garbage emails, to check if the email is
    legimate. If you click the "....don't send this to me link" sometimes
    inbedded in the body or if said spammer doesn't get an immediate bounce,
    then they have varified your email is legit and there will be much more
    to come.

    You really should "munge" your email address when posting to usenet, as
    I have done below. For more about spam and munging, see here:

    Korean Spam Filters
    http://www.siue.edu/~jpogats/korea.html

    How to Use filters and rules:
    http://admin2.soe.purdue.edu/support/emailstuff/messenger/filters/
    http://www.hawaii.edu/help/support/spam.html
    http://www.seanet.com/help/email/filters/
    http://www.mailwasher.net/

    Here are a few general references on spam.

    Most users need to munge (spam proof) their email address:
    http://webreference.com/outlook/column30/page2.html
    http://www.forumscentral.com/email/spam.htm
    "Why Am I Getting All This Spam? Unsolicited Commercial E-mail Research
    Six Month Report"
    http://www.cdt.org/speech/spam/030319spamreport.shtml

    Email Utilities:
    http://www.mailwasher.net
    http://www.twinlobber.org.uk/spampal/
    http://www.mailgate.com/products/spamweas/sw_feat.asp
    http://quantum_nz.tripod.com/antispam.htm

    (Larry Smith) chiseled in stone, the
    following words news::

    @}-}-------Rosee, Sep 7, 2004
  4. Larry Smith

    Joel Rubin Guest

    On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 16:41:13 GMT, (Larry Smith)
    wrote:

    >I know we all get our share of spam and I'm actually lucky to get some
    >but not a deluge.
    >Lately I've gotten one or two per day of messages from people/groups
    >that I've never heard of. The subject is varied, there are no
    >attachments, and the message body is totally blank.
    >
    >I don't understand why anyone would bother sending this crap. At
    >least we know that spammers want to sell you some garbage 99.9% of us
    >don't want.
    >People who write virusses are psychopaths just intent on doing damage.
    >
    >But why would anyone want to be involved with this nonsense?
    >
    >Can anyone enlighten me?

    Maybe they're trying to clean a list of potential spammee addresses by
    taking out the addresses that yield an error? They might even have
    generated the list and not know if any of the addresses are valid.

    That is called a "dictionary attack".

    Actually, for most ISP's, you don't have to actually send mail to
    check if an address is valid.

    There's an SMTP command "vrfy" but it NO LONGER WORKS on most incoming
    (MX) mail servers.

    However, you can BEGIN to send mail on an MX server with the SMTP
    "rcpt to:" command and most MX servers will give you an error if the
    address doesn't exist.

    There are some which don't. Yahoo, for example, will let you send mail
    to a non-existent address and then send you a bounce if you gave a
    valid sender address.

    Here's an example of getting an error message for an address which
    doesn't exist. Does the address "<>" actually
    exist?

    Well, the MX servers for ix.netcom.com are mx00.earthlink.net,
    mx01.earthlink.net et alia.

    telnet mx00.earthlink.net 25
    220 mx-a065a10.pas.sa.earthlink.net EL_3_9_13_20 /EL_3_9_13_20 ESMTP
    EarthLink
    SMTP Server Tue, 7 Sep 2004 10:06:04 -0700 (PDT)
    helo test
    250 mx-a065a10.pas.sa.earthlink.net Hello test [65.176.41.144], please
    to meet you
    mail from: <>
    250 <>... Sender ok
    rcpt to: <>
    550 ...User unknown
    quit
    221 mx-a065a10.pas.sa.earthlink.net closing connection

    If I hadn't gotten an error message, then I would know that the
    address DOES exist.

    Note that you haven't actually sent the mail until you send the body
    of the message with the SMTP "data" command, ending the body with a
    dot on a line by itself.

    Hmm - Earthlink used "please to meet you" instead of "pleased to meet
    you". My ISP is spelling or usage disabled.

    Joel Rubin, Sep 7, 2004
  5. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Tue,
    07 Sep 2004 16:41:13 GMT, (Larry Smith) screamed from
    behind the mulberry bush:

    >I know we all get our share of spam and I'm actually lucky to get some
    >but not a deluge.
    >Lately I've gotten one or two per day of messages from people/groups
    >that I've never heard of. The subject is varied, there are no
    >attachments, and the message body is totally blank.
    >
    >I don't understand why anyone would bother sending this crap. At
    >least we know that spammers want to sell you some garbage 99.9% of us
    >don't want.
    >People who write virusses are psychopaths just intent on doing damage.
    >
    >But why would anyone want to be involved with this nonsense?
    >
    >Can anyone enlighten me?
    >
    >TIA

    I've gotten them, too. Some have date stamps of 1969, even! I looked
    at the headers of them and they come from all over the world. I'm of
    the opinion that they are **** ups by some spammer.

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Sep 7, 2004