    Do the CD's need to be formatted?
    Thanks
    ron

    Ronald Murray, Oct 27, 2006

  2. "Ronald Murray" <> wrote in message
    news:T6b0h.37378$P7.16355@edtnps89...
    > Hello
    > I copied some pictures onto a CD. It will work on my computer but nobody
    > else's computer. So I went to My Computer and formatted the CD.
    > It shows as being empty but I can not write anything to it.
    > Are the CD's reusable or just throw away?
    > When I copied the pictures , I got this prompt " Your CD is not formatted
    > , would you like to format it now" I clicked yes & it copied the images
    > onto the CD. But like I said it will only work on my computer.
    > Do the CD's need to be formatted?
    > Thanks
    > ron

    A growing number of DVD models made in the past year have a JPEG playback
    feature specifically designed to display digital still images stored on a CD
    in the standard picture file format.

    If you haven't got a recent DVD and you want to play them on a DVD or your
    host's computer you use Video CDs or VCDs. In which case you need software
    to convert JPEGs into 'still' MPEG 1 files.

    Boscoe Pertwee, Oct 27, 2006

  3. Ronald Murray

    Neil Green Guest

    "Ronald Murray" <> wrote in
    message news:T6b0h.37378$P7.16355@edtnps89...
    > Hello
    > I copied some pictures onto a CD. It will work on my
    > computer but nobody else's computer. So I went to My
    > Computer and formatted the CD.
    > It shows as being empty but I can not write anything
    > to it.
    > Are the CD's reusable or just throw away?
    > When I copied the pictures , I got this prompt "
    > Your CD is not formatted , would you like to format
    > it now" I clicked yes & it copied the images onto
    > the CD. But like I said it will only work on my
    > computer.
    > Do the CD's need to be formatted?
    > Thanks
    > ron

    What software do you have installed?
    If you have Nero InCD or similar then the CDRW has
    been formatted to UDF, which means another computer
    must have compatible software to read it.
    If you want the CD to be more or less universal then
    erase the CDRW rather than formatting it, and burn the
    ..jpg files to it as a data CD using Nero or the
    burning engine in Windows if you have XP.

    Neil Green, Oct 27, 2006