    else?

    TIA

    -H
    Howard, Dec 18, 2003

  2. Howard

    harry Guest

    Howard wrote:
    > One thing that I have never got my head around is the difference
    > between a blade server v a 1U server.
    >
    > Is a blade just a nude 1u server, ie without the exterior case? If
    > not,what else?
    >

    > TIA
    >
    > -H

    They are hot pluggable motherboards in a card frame like this

    http://www.intel.com/design/servers/blades/SBCE/
    harry, Dec 18, 2003

  3. On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 15:28:02 +1300, harry wrote:

    >> Is a blade just a nude 1u server, ie without the exterior case? If
    >> not,what else?

    > They are hot pluggable motherboards in a card frame like this

    And they usually achieve higher densities than 1U servers - the IBM blades
    we're looking at for compute nodes run at 14 per 6U high...
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Dec 19, 2003
  4. Howard

    Robert Guest

    The Dell PE1655MC is up to 6 blades in a 3U high chassis. Each blade can be
    dual CPU and can have 2 hdd's on the raid controller.
    Each blade is a single board (plus Hdd's) that plugs into the chassis for
    power, network, VKM etc.
    The Blade chassis has inbuilt VKM, switch & PSU's.
    http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/systems/pe1655mc/en/index.htm

    Robert, Dec 19, 2003