    The guy I spoke to at Black's said they use a Fuji Frontier system,
    and print the photos on 75-year archival stock...

    Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

    Paul Fedorenko, Dec 3, 2003

  2. Paul Fedorenko

    Steinberger Guest

    Well, I would avoid Wal-mart. It took them three weeks to process 12 prints
    of mine.

    Steinberger, Dec 3, 2003

  3. Paul Fedorenko

    rat Guest

    >This question'll probably be limitted mostly to Canadian readers, I
    >guess. I'm looking for opinions from people who've had experience
    >with prints from both these chains. You know, which one does a better
    >job over-all, that sort of thing... The reason I picked these two is
    >they both have a location close to where I live.

    Blacks wins for customer service. FS just cares about getting you
    in/out as fast as possible, and they know hardly anything about
    photography - never mind printing pictures. I'm sure Blacks has
    better printing equipment too. But if you're curious, why don't you
    get the same set of prints done at both places and see how they come
    out?

    rat, Dec 3, 2003
  4. On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 23:24:00 GMT, rat <> wrote:

    >Blacks wins for customer service. FS just cares about getting you
    >in/out as fast as possible, and they know hardly anything about
    >photography - never mind printing pictures. I'm sure Blacks has
    >better printing equipment too. But if you're curious, why don't you
    >get the same set of prints done at both places and see how they come
    >out?

    I'm probably going to end up doing that anyway, but there's something
    to be said about talking to other customers of the shop or chain that
    you're interested in to get an impression first. I've had film
    processed at Black's for years, but never digital. They do a good
    job, despite being a little expensive for my tastes. I've never tried
    Future shop before, so I figured getting peoples' thoughts on their
    work wouldn't be a bad idea.

    Paul Fedorenko, Dec 3, 2003
  5. On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 18:04:46 -0500, "Steinberger"
    <> wrote:

    >Well, I would avoid Wal-mart. It took them three weeks to process 12 prints
    >of mine.

    Three weeks is just sad. I'm sure it was an anomaly, though.

    Paul Fedorenko, Dec 3, 2003
  6. Paul Fedorenko

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Paul Fedorenko wrote:

    > This question'll probably be limitted mostly to Canadian readers, I
    > guess. I'm looking for opinions from people who've had experience
    > with prints from both these chains. You know, which one does a better
    > job over-all, that sort of thing... The reason I picked these two is
    > they both have a location close to where I live.
    >
    > I guess Japan Camera and Wal-Mart would be viable alternatives, too,
    > but less convenient.
    >
    > The guy I spoke to at Black's said they use a Fuji Frontier system,
    > and print the photos on 75-year archival stock...
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

    I've never tried Blacks.. But FS has *always* provided me with excellent
    prints. I just got a batch done today. They print on Kodak Gold paper.

    Some one else said avoid Walmart.. That was good advice.

    Jim Townsend, Dec 3, 2003
  7. Paul Fedorenko

    Ronald Hands Guest

    Paul Fedorenko wrote:
    > This question'll probably be limitted mostly to Canadian readers, I
    > guess. I'm looking for opinions from people who've had experience
    > with prints from both these chains.

    I've only used Future Shop, but I've been delighted with the service
    and the product. As someone else remarked, they use highest-quality
    Kodak Royal paper. I do all the adjustments, cropping and sharpening in
    Photoshop Elements 2.0 and then upload the pictures using the wizard FS
    provides. Couldn't be easier and the prints are a perfect replica of
    the colors I see on my screen, only better.
    All of my orders have been sent to their 2400 Yonge St., location in
    Toronto, and I have them returned to my nearest FS store. They send an
    e-mail when prints are ready for pickup. Or you can pay extra and have
    them returned by priority mail.
    Incidentally, I couldn't believe a 2 mp camera could produce good
    8x10 prints, but FS has made me a believer.

    -- Ron
    Hamilton, ON

    Ronald Hands, Dec 4, 2003
  8. Paul Fedorenko

    Kin Lau Guest

    Paul Fedorenko wrote:
    > On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 23:24:00 GMT, rat <> wrote:
    >>Blacks wins for customer service. FS just cares about getting you
    >>in/out as fast as possible, and they know hardly anything about
    >>photography - never mind printing pictures. I'm sure Blacks has
    >>better printing equipment too. But if you're curious, why don't you
    >>get the same set of prints done at both places and see how they come
    >>out?

    > I'm probably going to end up doing that anyway, but there's something
    > to be said about talking to other customers of the shop or chain that
    > you're interested in to get an impression first. I've had film
    > processed at Black's for years, but never digital. They do a good
    > job, despite being a little expensive for my tastes. I've never tried
    > Future shop before, so I figured getting peoples' thoughts on their
    > work wouldn't be a bad idea.

    I used to go to Walmart, and it was actually pretty good, but if you hit
    the wrong time of day (busy), then it's a lost cause. Walmart uses a
    Noritsu.

    Black's is my fav for now, no/short/quick lineup's, and the 100 print
    card gets the price down to $.45/print. Black's uses Fuji Frontier's.

    FS is also okay, my sister used them, and I believe they used a Fuji
    Frontier also.

    Photolab.ca (Loblaw's) is probably the cheapest outside of Costco. I've
    had some done, and they were okay.

    Japan Camera was very expensive, and everything was too red.

    Kin Lau, Dec 4, 2003
  9. Paul Fedorenko

    zbzbzb Guest

    >I used to go to Walmart, and it was actually pretty good, but if you hit
    >the wrong time of day (busy), then it's a lost cause. Walmart uses a
    >Noritsu.

    I've only seen Fuji Frontiers used in WalMart here in the US but Costco here
    uses Noritsu and the Costco prints where I'm at compared to WalMart are night
    and day differences. The Costco prints are tack sharp unlike the Walmarts and
    they use glossy paper instead of the ugly luster paper they use at WalMart.
    Costco is also half the price.

    zbzbzb, Dec 4, 2003
  10. Paul Fedorenko

    Mustafa Krap Guest

    > This question'll probably be limitted mostly to Canadian readers, I
    > guess. I'm looking for opinions from people who've had experience
    > with prints from both these chains. You know, which one does a better
    > job over-all, that sort of thing... The reason I picked these two is
    > they both have a location close to where I live.
    >
    > I guess Japan Camera and Wal-Mart would be viable alternatives, too,
    > but less convenient.
    >
    > The guy I spoke to at Black's said they use a Fuji Frontier system,
    > and print the photos on 75-year archival stock...
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

    Haven't tried these two but was very happy with Lens & Shutter, you can send
    your prints in by the Internet and either have them delivered to your door
    or pick them up at the store and they only charge 39c a print. I tried to
    use Costco once but after waiting 1/2 an hour for some idiot to edit each
    individual shot on a cf card with about 200 pics on it and then to pull out
    another card, I gave up and went home. Now I do all my own printing on my
    Canon i860 and using high quality paper my prints are as good as what I was
    getting from L&S.

    Rob.

    Mustafa Krap, Dec 4, 2003
  11. Paul Fedorenko

    allegro Guest

    Paul Fedorenko wrote:
    > This question'll probably be limitted mostly to Canadian readers, I
    > guess. I'm looking for opinions from people who've had experience
    > with prints from both these chains. You know, which one does a better
    > job over-all, that sort of thing... The reason I picked these two is
    > they both have a location close to where I live.
    >
    > I guess Japan Camera and Wal-Mart would be viable alternatives, too,
    > but less convenient.
    >
    > The guy I spoke to at Black's said they use a Fuji Frontier system,
    > and print the photos on 75-year archival stock...
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

    I've tried both and Future Shop has better quality prints IMHO. Black's
    quality is also good but sometimes they tweak the image too much that
    the picture no longer looks natural. It also depends on which Black's
    location you go to. I had horrible prints with a Black's location at a
    local mall but the head location in Markham produced very good prints.

    I prefer doing any image corrections myself and FutureShop prints are
    usually pretty close to what you see on your screen.

    allegro, Dec 4, 2003
  12. Paul Fedorenko

    zbzbzb Guest

    >Haven't tried these two but was very happy with Lens & Shutter, you can send
    >your prints in by the Internet and either have them delivered to your door
    >or pick them up at the store and they only charge 39c a print. I tried to
    >use Costco once but after waiting 1/2 an hour for some idiot to edit each
    >individual shot on a cf card with about 200 pics on it and then to pull out
    >another card, I gave up and went home.

    How was he editing each shot? Also, why were you waiting? As far as I know
    Costco and most any sane lab is not going to give you quick service for so many
    pictures. The Costco here is overnight for digital pictures.

    zbzbzb, Dec 4, 2003
  13. Paul Fedorenko

    Kin Lau Guest

    zbzbzb wrote:
    >>I used to go to Walmart, and it was actually pretty good, but if you hit
    >>the wrong time of day (busy), then it's a lost cause. Walmart uses a
    >>Noritsu.

    > I've only seen Fuji Frontiers used in WalMart here in the US but Costco here
    > uses Noritsu and the Costco prints where I'm at compared to WalMart are night
    > and day differences. The Costco prints are tack sharp unlike the Walmarts and
    > they use glossy paper instead of the ugly luster paper they use at WalMart.
    > Costco is also half the price.

    All the Walmart's I've seen in Canada use Noritsu... and the Walmart &
    Costco price here, is the same.

    Kin Lau, Dec 4, 2003
  14. Paul Fedorenko

    Paddler Guest

    Wal-Mart opinion

    I've uploaded several digital pics to www.wal-mart.com and have been
    happy with the results. Both print quality and turn around time. I
    always have them mailed back to me.

    Paddler, Dec 4, 2003
  15. Paul Fedorenko

    Andrew Guest

    Re: Wal-Mart opinion

    Paddler <> wrote:
    > I've uploaded several digital pics to www.wal-mart.com and have been
    > happy with the results. Both print quality and turn around time. I
    > always have them mailed back to me.

    I am very satisfied with walmart.com. I live close to a
    walmart, so I avoid the shipping charge by picking my
    photos up at the store.

    Andrew

    Andrew, Dec 4, 2003
  16. Re: Wal-Mart opinion

    "Andrew" <> wrote:
    > Paddler <> wrote:
    > > I've uploaded several digital pics to www.wal-mart.com and have been
    > > happy with the results. Both print quality and turn around time. I
    > > always have them mailed back to me.

    > I am very satisfied with walmart.com. I live close to a
    > walmart, so I avoid the shipping charge by picking my
    > photos up at the store.

    You pay more per print if you take a CD to the store, like $.29 vs. $.26
    online for 4x6. The main problem I have with Wal-Mart online is that
    the upload is very ssslllllloooooowwwwwww. You can now upload a
    whole subdirectory of images in one shot, but it takes so long it times
    out and stops before completion. Once the images are uploaded, the
    interface to select and specify print quantity and sizes could be faster,
    too. Logically easy to understand and use, but a bit cumbersome. If you
    are only making prints from a few images, no sweat. I have found print
    quality to be great, both from online and local store.
    --
    Judson McClendon (remove zero)
    Sun Valley Systems http://sunvaley.com

    Judson McClendon, Dec 4, 2003
  17. Paul Fedorenko

    Andrew Guest

    Re: Wal-Mart opinion

    Judson McClendon <> wrote:
    > "Andrew" <> wrote:
    >> Paddler <> wrote:
    >> > I've uploaded several digital pics to www.wal-mart.com and have been
    >> > happy with the results. Both print quality and turn around time. I
    >> > always have them mailed back to me.

    >> I am very satisfied with walmart.com. I live close to a
    >> walmart, so I avoid the shipping charge by picking my
    >> photos up at the store.

    > You pay more per print if you take a CD to the store, like $.29 vs. $.26
    > online for 4x6.

    I've noticed this. I always upload to walmart.com. There's always a
    line at the uploading kiost at my walmart.

    > The main problem I have with Wal-Mart online is that
    > the upload is very ssslllllloooooowwwwwww.

    It's not slow from my lan connection at work.

    > You can now upload a
    > whole subdirectory of images in one shot, but it takes so long it times
    > out and stops before completion. Once the images are uploaded, the
    > interface to select and specify print quantity and sizes could be faster,
    > too. Logically easy to understand and use, but a bit cumbersome. If you
    > are only making prints from a few images, no sweat. I have found print
    > quality to be great, both from online and local store.

    The print quality is at least equal to ofoto. I jumped from ofoto
    to walmart because of the cheaper price. I hesitate to have anything
    printed at the store because I fear the print quality will be
    inconsistent and depend on which flunky is operating or maintaining.
    the machine. I think walmart.com's UI is OK. I haven't comapred it
    to all the other online places.

    Andrew

    Andrew, Dec 4, 2003
  18. Paul Fedorenko

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Re: Wal-Mart opinion

    My local store print is not same as online, it's not bad, but is matte
    finish. ClubPhoto is good, right now a little cheaper, quality about the
    same as Walmart, uses Kodak paper.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Dec 4, 2003
  19. Paul Fedorenko

    Don Coon Guest

    Re: Wal-Mart opinion

    "Judson McClendon" <> wrote in message
    > "Andrew" <> wrote:
    > > Paddler <> wrote:
    > > > I've uploaded several digital pics to www.wal-mart.com and have been
    > > > happy with the results. Both print quality and turn around time. I
    > > > always have them mailed back to me.

    > > I am very satisfied with walmart.com. I live close to a
    > > walmart, so I avoid the shipping charge by picking my
    > > photos up at the store.

    > You pay more per print if you take a CD to the store, like $.29 vs. $.26
    > online for 4x6.

    It's $.26 at my Wal-Mart and $.19 at Sam's Club. I wouldn't think about
    uploading them. Also if I'm at the store, I can refuse to buy pictures for
    any reason -- although I rarely do. One big advantage of digital
    photography is seeing the images immediately; waiting days or over a week as
    I did before my local store installed the Fuji system is unacceptable.
    Wal-Mart stores also accept large TIF file; last time I checked, Wal-Mart
    on-line had a 2MB per image limit.

    Just got 60 4" x 7" custom designed (not the store product) xmas cards
    printed there for $15.60 plus tax while I ate lunch : )

    Don Coon, Dec 4, 2003
  20. Paul Fedorenko

    Andrew Guest

    Re: Wal-Mart opinion

    Don Coon <coondw_nospam@hotmail_dot_.com> wrote:

    > "Judson McClendon" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > I am very satisfied with walmart.com. I live close to a
    >> > walmart, so I avoid the shipping charge by picking my
    >> > photos up at the store.

    >> You pay more per print if you take a CD to the store, like $.29 vs. $.26
    >> online for 4x6.

    > It's $.26 at my Wal-Mart and $.19 at Sam's Club. I wouldn't think about
    > uploading them. Also if I'm at the store, I can refuse to buy pictures for
    > any reason -- although I rarely do. One big advantage of digital
    > photography is seeing the images immediately; waiting days or over a week as
    > I did before my local store installed the Fuji system is unacceptable.
    > Wal-Mart stores also accept large TIF file; last time I checked, Wal-Mart
    > on-line had a 2MB per image limit.

    They increased this to 3MB within the past few months. This made
    me happy because with the 2MB limit I was wasting a bit of time
    trying to pick the jpeg compression factor to get me just under 2MB
    when converting my G3 RAW files. I think that with the 3MB limit,
    my G3 RAW->(breezebrowser)->jpeg files should be indistiguishable
    from tiffs.

    Andrew

    Andrew, Dec 4, 2003