Blacked out Taskbar Problems with IE8

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by James D Andrews, Apr 17, 2011.

  1. I hope to word this right.

    My wife's computer is an old Dell Optiplex GX110 upgraded to 1 GHz
    processor running Windows XP SP3 with IE8, which she prefers to
    Firefox. Windows Firewall on, Avast running, all downloads scanned
    additionally with Avast and Malwarebytes. System cleaned regularly and
    full systems scan by both virus scanners with no problems.

    Let's skip the "buy a new computer" option for now, it's in the works,
    but not for several months, and IE9 isn't for XP.

    The problem is that the IE8 Task bar at the top is blacked out. This
    happened once on my computer, and once before on hers.

    The problem I noted on my computer was a Search Bar Add-on, so I
    assumed it was the same on her comp.

    First I tried changes in Manage Add-Ons like I did on mine. Didn't
    work.

    Uninstalled all Add-ons I could. Didn't work.

    Uninstalled IE8 and reinstalled without search bars added.
    (a lengthy task since IE8 was installed before SP3, so I had to
    uninstall SP3, then uninstall IE8, then reinstall SP3, then reinstall
    IE8 - what a pain.)

    On the reinstall of IE8, the black bar cleared.

    A few days later, the black bar on IE8 came back. I checked and can
    see no add-ons or Search bars enabled that should cause this. However,
    she uses the Favorites Bar instead of the drop-down Favorites menu. I
    cleared her Favorites Bar. Didn't work.

    I finally told her just use Firefox, damn it!

    And then came the new update to Adobe Flash Player - and the Firefox
    says it won't work with the Flash Player - a necessity for her.

    So, I'm back to dealing with the IE8 problem instead of pushing it
    aside, which is what I should be doing instead of running away from the
    problem (I've been exhaustingly busy lately is my excuse)

    Is there a specific setting in Internet Options I need to set? Is it
    from her use of the Favorites bar? Is there something I'm overlooking?
    Should I do another uninstall of IE8 and reinstall?

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    "Distrust any enterprise that requires new clothes."
    - Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)
    James D Andrews, Apr 17, 2011

  2. James D Andrews

    Kele Guest

    Try to fix this from a different angle... reinstall /download latest
    display adapter driver. You got any flagged hardware in device manager?

    Instead of uninstalling/reinstalling IE to check if add-ons are the culprit,
    try IE (No Add-Ons) mode. But I don't think IE is the problem. Usually
    running out of memory creates blacked-out cells. Sometimes the screen just
    needs to be refreshed... I get this sometimes when using a program and by
    minimizing and maximizing the program window, the black cells are cured.

    ----------------------

    Kele, Apr 17, 2011

  3. Kele snuck on to your hard drive to scribble:
    > Try to fix this from a different angle... reinstall /download latest
    > display adapter driver. You got any flagged hardware in device manager?
    >
    > Instead of uninstalling/reinstalling IE to check if add-ons are the culprit,
    > try IE (No Add-Ons) mode. But I don't think IE is the problem. Usually
    > running out of memory creates blacked-out cells. Sometimes the screen just
    > needs to be refreshed... I get this sometimes when using a program and by
    > minimizing and maximizing the program window, the black cells are cured.
    >

    > ----------------------
    > "James D Andrews" <> wrote:
    >
    > I hope to word this right.
    >
    > My wife's computer is an old Dell Optiplex GX110 upgraded to 1 GHz
    > processor running Windows XP SP3 with IE8, which she prefers to
    > Firefox. Windows Firewall on, Avast running, all downloads scanned
    > additionally with Avast and Malwarebytes. System cleaned regularly and
    > full systems scan by both virus scanners with no problems.
    >
    > Let's skip the "buy a new computer" option for now, it's in the works,
    > but not for several months, and IE9 isn't for XP.
    >
    > The problem is that the IE8 Task bar at the top is blacked out. This
    > happened once on my computer, and once before on hers.
    >
    > The problem I noted on my computer was a Search Bar Add-on, so I
    > assumed it was the same on her comp.
    >
    > First I tried changes in Manage Add-Ons like I did on mine. Didn't
    > work.
    >
    > Uninstalled all Add-ons I could. Didn't work.
    >
    > Uninstalled IE8 and reinstalled without search bars added.
    > (a lengthy task since IE8 was installed before SP3, so I had to
    > uninstall SP3, then uninstall IE8, then reinstall SP3, then reinstall
    > IE8 - what a pain.)
    >
    > On the reinstall of IE8, the black bar cleared.
    >
    > A few days later, the black bar on IE8 came back. I checked and can
    > see no add-ons or Search bars enabled that should cause this. However,
    > she uses the Favorites Bar instead of the drop-down Favorites menu. I
    > cleared her Favorites Bar. Didn't work.
    >
    > I finally told her just use Firefox, damn it!
    >
    > And then came the new update to Adobe Flash Player - and the Firefox
    > says it won't work with the Flash Player - a necessity for her.
    >
    > So, I'm back to dealing with the IE8 problem instead of pushing it
    > aside, which is what I should be doing instead of running away from the
    > problem (I've been exhaustingly busy lately is my excuse)
    >
    > Is there a specific setting in Internet Options I need to set? Is it
    > from her use of the Favorites bar? Is there something I'm overlooking?
    > Should I do another uninstall of IE8 and reinstall?

    You ever take the car to a mechanic cause it's making some really bad
    noise, but when you get to the shop, it stops making the noise?

    Armed with your response, I went to her computer. Brought up IE8, and
    the black bar was gone. Spooky. It's been there over a month.

    She hasn't used this particular computer in a couple days, so I'm
    wondering if something in last Tuesday's dump from MS might have solved
    the problem, or what's going on.

    Anyways, regarding the drivers. I don't think this is an issue since
    the blackout only occurs on IE8, only on the taskbar, and nowhere else
    at any time on any other part of IE8 or on any other program.

    But still, thanks for directing me to Device Mgr - turns out, her modem
    driver needed updating. Totally unrelated, especially since she
    doesn't use that modem since she's on wireless, but hey, good to keep
    drivers up to date.

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
    - Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')
    James D Andrews, Apr 18, 2011
  4. "James D Andrews" <> wrote in message
    >I hope to word this right.
    >
    > My wife's computer is an old Dell Optiplex GX110 upgraded to 1 GHz
    > processor running Windows XP SP3 with IE8, which she prefers to Firefox.
    > Windows Firewall on, Avast running, all downloads scanned additionally
    > with Avast and Malwarebytes. System cleaned regularly and full systems
    > scan by both virus scanners with no problems.
    >
    > Let's skip the "buy a new computer" option for now, it's in the works, but
    > not for several months, and IE9 isn't for XP.
    >
    > The problem is that the IE8 Task bar at the top is blacked out. This
    > happened once on my computer, and once before on hers.
    >
    > The problem I noted on my computer was a Search Bar Add-on, so I assumed
    > it was the same on her comp.
    >
    > First I tried changes in Manage Add-Ons like I did on mine. Didn't work.
    >
    > Uninstalled all Add-ons I could. Didn't work.
    >
    > Uninstalled IE8 and reinstalled without search bars added.
    > (a lengthy task since IE8 was installed before SP3, so I had to uninstall
    > SP3, then uninstall IE8, then reinstall SP3, then reinstall IE8 - what a
    > pain.)
    >
    > On the reinstall of IE8, the black bar cleared.
    >
    > A few days later, the black bar on IE8 came back. I checked and can see
    > no add-ons or Search bars enabled that should cause this. However, she
    > uses the Favorites Bar instead of the drop-down Favorites menu. I cleared
    > her Favorites Bar. Didn't work.
    >
    > I finally told her just use Firefox, damn it!
    >
    > And then came the new update to Adobe Flash Player - and the Firefox says
    > it won't work with the Flash Player - a necessity for her.
    >
    > So, I'm back to dealing with the IE8 problem instead of pushing it aside,
    > which is what I should be doing instead of running away from the problem
    > (I've been exhaustingly busy lately is my excuse)
    >
    > Is there a specific setting in Internet Options I need to set? Is it from
    > her use of the Favorites bar? Is there something I'm overlooking? Should
    > I do another uninstall of IE8 and reinstall?

    Right Click on the desktop and open each tab.

    Select Windows Classic or the nearest variant from the two or three places
    where it appears -- themes and appearance come to mind, and there might be
    another.

    Select Apply and Okay. Return to IE and the problem should be solved.

    Return to the Desktop Properties and reset all of the preferred settings,
    although I can' imagine any of them are better than Windows Classic.
    Jeff Strickland, Apr 18, 2011
  5. "James D Andrews" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > You ever take the car to a mechanic cause it's making some really bad
    > noise, but when you get to the shop, it stops making the noise?
    >
    > Armed with your response, I went to her computer. Brought up IE8, and the
    > black bar was gone. Spooky. It's been there over a month.
    >
    > She hasn't used this particular computer in a couple days, so I'm
    > wondering if something in last Tuesday's dump from MS might have solved
    > the problem, or what's going on.
    >
    > Anyways, regarding the drivers. I don't think this is an issue since the
    > blackout only occurs on IE8, only on the taskbar, and nowhere else at any
    > time on any other part of IE8 or on any other program.
    >
    > But still, thanks for directing me to Device Mgr - turns out, her modem
    > driver needed updating. Totally unrelated, especially since she doesn't
    > use that modem since she's on wireless, but hey, good to keep drivers up

    You are correct, it's not a driver issue. At least not a display driver.
    Something gets hosed in the display settings that straightens out when you
    choose Windows Classic. You don't have to stay with Windows Classic, you
    only have to choose it.
    Jeff Strickland, Apr 18, 2011
  6. Jeff Strickland snuck on to your hard drive to scribble:
    > "James D Andrews" <> wrote in message
    >>I hope to word this right.
    >>
    >> My wife's computer is an old Dell Optiplex GX110 upgraded to 1 GHz
    >> processor running Windows XP SP3 with IE8, which she prefers to Firefox.
    >> Windows Firewall on, Avast running, all downloads scanned additionally with
    >> Avast and Malwarebytes. System cleaned regularly and full systems scan by
    >> both virus scanners with no problems.
    >>
    >> Let's skip the "buy a new computer" option for now, it's in the works, but
    >> not for several months, and IE9 isn't for XP.
    >>
    >> The problem is that the IE8 Task bar at the top is blacked out. This
    >> happened once on my computer, and once before on hers.
    >>
    >> The problem I noted on my computer was a Search Bar Add-on, so I assumed it
    >> was the same on her comp.
    >>
    >> First I tried changes in Manage Add-Ons like I did on mine. Didn't work.
    >>
    >> Uninstalled all Add-ons I could. Didn't work.
    >>
    >> Uninstalled IE8 and reinstalled without search bars added.
    >> (a lengthy task since IE8 was installed before SP3, so I had to uninstall
    >> SP3, then uninstall IE8, then reinstall SP3, then reinstall IE8 - what a
    >> pain.)
    >>
    >> On the reinstall of IE8, the black bar cleared.
    >>
    >> A few days later, the black bar on IE8 came back. I checked and can see no
    >> add-ons or Search bars enabled that should cause this. However, she uses
    >> the Favorites Bar instead of the drop-down Favorites menu. I cleared her
    >> Favorites Bar. Didn't work.
    >>
    >> I finally told her just use Firefox, damn it!
    >>
    >> And then came the new update to Adobe Flash Player - and the Firefox says
    >> it won't work with the Flash Player - a necessity for her.
    >>
    >> So, I'm back to dealing with the IE8 problem instead of pushing it aside,
    >> which is what I should be doing instead of running away from the problem
    >> (I've been exhaustingly busy lately is my excuse)
    >>
    >> Is there a specific setting in Internet Options I need to set? Is it from
    >> her use of the Favorites bar? Is there something I'm overlooking? Should I
    >> do another uninstall of IE8 and reinstall?
    >>

    > Right Click on the desktop and open each tab.
    >
    > Select Windows Classic or the nearest variant from the two or three places
    > where it appears -- themes and appearance come to mind, and there might be
    > another.
    >
    > Select Apply and Okay. Return to IE and the problem should be solved.
    >
    > Return to the Desktop Properties and reset all of the preferred settings,
    > although I can' imagine any of them are better than Windows Classic.

    I keep all my comps at Windows Classic including my wife's. Can't
    stand the new "pretty" setups. I don't care if she changes the color
    scheme or uses a Theme, but I don't let her change to XP style.

    If it happens again, I'll reset that and see if it helps. Hopefully it
    won't happen again.

    As for her Firefox backup, just downloaded the Adobe Flash Player for
    Firefox. I figure she had the IE Flash Player, but without the Firefox
    version, that must have been why it wasn't working.

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    "You got to be careful if you don't know where you're going, because
    you might not get there."
    - Yogi Berra
    James D Andrews, Apr 19, 2011
  7. James D Andrews

    Kele Guest

    Do you think it has to do with running out of memory (video memory)? When I
    use one certain program that takes alot of processing time, when it's done,
    there are two UI cells that are always black. Minimizing and maximizing the
    program window fixes it. I figured it's due to running out of memory to
    properly paint the screen. I have no extraneous services running to include
    themes and classic view all the way. Still it's always been like that with
    one of my programz.

    I suggested a driver update, and I hate when people do. My kid's newish
    laptop has had a few new drivers available. The new video driver seems to
    have made the screen brighter so it's possible to run it with the brighness
    slider set lower. Is it more efficient now? So that's why I thought about
    drivers.

    Now that I think of it, I had what you describe often with Win98, 128 MB RAM
    surfin the Net w/ IE. My stuff was choking resulting in incomplete screen
    draws. I would check whatchu got running in the background to see what
    "intermittently" sucks system resources. Google "blackviper services" to
    compare with yours. What the other guys are talking about (if not due to
    conflict) is sorta related to what I'm saying in that it has to do with
    running out of juice. IE9 is out of beta.

    --------------

    Kele, Apr 19, 2011
  8. James D Andrews

    Bville Guest

    If your monitor has an adjustment button on it, try that first to
    refresh your monitor.
    Bville, Apr 19, 2011
  9. Kele was thinking very hard and all he could come up with was:
    > Do you think it has to do with running out of memory (video memory)? When I
    > use one certain program that takes alot of processing time, when it's done,
    > there are two UI cells that are always black. Minimizing and maximizing the
    > program window fixes it. I figured it's due to running out of memory to
    > properly paint the screen. I have no extraneous services running to include
    > themes and classic view all the way. Still it's always been like that with
    > one of my programz.
    >
    > I suggested a driver update, and I hate when people do. My kid's newish
    > laptop has had a few new drivers available. The new video driver seems to
    > have made the screen brighter so it's possible to run it with the brighness
    > slider set lower. Is it more efficient now? So that's why I thought about
    > drivers.
    >
    > Now that I think of it, I had what you describe often with Win98, 128 MB RAM
    > surfin the Net w/ IE. My stuff was choking resulting in incomplete screen
    > draws. I would check whatchu got running in the background to see what
    > "intermittently" sucks system resources. Google "blackviper services" to
    > compare with yours. What the other guys are talking about (if not due to
    > conflict) is sorta related to what I'm saying in that it has to do with
    > running out of juice. IE9 is out of beta.
    >

    > --------------
    > "James D Andrews" <> wrote:
    > I keep all my comps at Windows Classic including my wife's. Can't
    > stand the new "pretty" setups. I don't care if she changes the color
    > scheme or uses a Theme, but I don't let her change to XP style.
    >
    > If it happens again, I'll reset that and see if it helps. Hopefully it
    > won't happen again.
    >
    > As for her Firefox backup, just downloaded the Adobe Flash Player for
    > Firefox. I figure she had the IE Flash Player, but without the Firefox
    > version, that must have been why it wasn't working.

    Done not just minimize/maximize, but also shut down IE and re-open, and
    shut down computer and restart. Closed all other running programs.
    Nothing more than the usual resources running when I checked.

    It's an older system and memory is limited, I admit, maxed out to 512
    system and I'm not sure how much on graphics, but still, all other
    functions in all other programs are fine, and in IE8 only one is the
    taskbar, which I've seen associated with bad add-ins, so I really don't
    think it's a graphics problem.

    Her computer isn't overloaded with a bunch of crap like mine, so her
    system loads like lightning - and I'm running 2.7GHz with 4Gb system
    and 512 graphics - but that's what I get for putting so much on my
    system.

    As for IE9, MS announced it wasn't offering IE9 for XP. Has that
    changed?

    Anyways, I really do appreciate your help. Funny how things started
    working after over a month of being like that right when I reached out
    here for help. My theory: whatever the problem was afraid of all you
    guys, so it surrendered.

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    "Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's
    troublesome."
    - Isaac Asimov
    James D Andrews, Apr 20, 2011