Blackberry versus Nokia N95

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by vitw, Jun 13, 2007.

  1. vitw

    vitw Guest

    Hi,

    More and more, I'm feeling the limitations of my crusty old Nokia 1100
    cellphone, and am looking at some newer alternatives.

    The thing that puts me off with the new phones is that they're way
    obsolete before they even go into production. Product life cycle is
    usually 6 months if you're lucky.

    Just after you've bought the flash new phone, another one comes out with
    better screen, or longer battery life, or a better camera, or more memory,
    better connectivity etc.

    Just now, I'm eyeing off the Blackberry 8707 and the Nokia N95 'swiss army
    knife' phones. Blackberry is gr8 4 txting, but the N95 has a really good
    5MP camera and GPS. Blackberry is large and bulky tho compared to other
    phones. OTOH, the N95 has been criticised for its short battery life.

    If any of you have used either of these, can you share your experiences,
    smiles/gripes?

    I'm a bit hesitant - both phones have a 4-figure price tag - that's ok
    for a great phone, but I'd hate to drop that amount of cash if a much
    better phone at a comparable price is just around the corner - I've funded
    enough bleeding edge R&D for now.

    My requirements:
    - great large colour touchscreen
    - ability to run 3rd party apps
    - good battery life
    - well thought out user interface (as opposed to those geeky and
    amateurish flawed interface designs seen on many phones)
    - comfortable for texting
    - 3G connectivity
    - able to use on prepay

    Desirable non-essential features
    - good camera
    - ability to stream out video over 3G, WLAN or bluetooth in real
    time (so I can use as a video camcorder without hitting memory
    limits)
    - GPS

    Thanks in advance for your thoughts
    vitw, Jun 13, 2007