Blackberry and Gmail

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bosco836, Jan 1, 2009.

  1. Bosco836

    Bosco836 Guest

    Hello,

    Hopefully someone out there will be able to assist me.

    I have a Blackberry 8310 (Curve --> from Rogers, Canada). It is
    currently set up to receive e-mail from my G-Mail account and leave
    the original copy of the message on the server (regardless of weather
    I delete it from my blackberry or not).

    However, when I receive a message on the Blackberry, I would like for
    G-mail to mark that message as read. Currently, when I log into G-
    mail, even after reading a message on my Blackberry, it still shows as
    unread.

    After receiving approx 200. messages a day, this can be quite an
    inconvenience, as I sometimes find myself re-reading messages, just to
    be sure I don't miss anything.

    Thanks so much in advance,

    - Adam

    Bosco836, Jan 1, 2009

  2. Bosco836

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message
    <>
    Bosco836 <> was claimed to have wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    >Hopefully someone out there will be able to assist me.
    >
    >I have a Blackberry 8310 (Curve --> from Rogers, Canada). It is
    >currently set up to receive e-mail from my G-Mail account and leave
    >the original copy of the message on the server (regardless of weather
    >I delete it from my blackberry or not).
    >
    >However, when I receive a message on the Blackberry, I would like for
    >G-mail to mark that message as read. Currently, when I log into G-
    >mail, even after reading a message on my Blackberry, it still shows as
    >unread.
    >
    >After receiving approx 200. messages a day, this can be quite an
    >inconvenience, as I sometimes find myself re-reading messages, just to
    >be sure I don't miss anything.

    Blackberry's mail client is rather pathetic in terms of it's ability to
    perform a true two way synchronization against a server.

    Going from memory, in BIS mode, Blackberry doesn't push out a "Read"
    status to the server, so unfortunately you can't do what you want.

    DevilsPGD, Jan 2, 2009

  3. Bosco836

    Bosco836 Guest

    I thought about using IMAP, however, have some concerns:

    1) Will my e-mail still be accessible, even without cell service.
    Parts of my office don't get stellar service, but I often find myself
    referencing e-mails.

    2) If I delete a message on my Blackberry with IMAP, will it delete it
    off Gmail too? I don't necessarily want to have to scroll through (or
    keep) 10000000's of messages on my blackberry, but I do like to retain
    a copy of all messages, within G-mail for archival/reference
    purposes.

    Thanks,

    Bosco836, Jan 2, 2009
  4. Bosco836

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <> Jono
    <> was claimed to have wrote:

    >DevilsPGD has brought this to us :
    >> In message
    >> <>
    >> Bosco836 <> was claimed to have wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> Hopefully someone out there will be able to assist me.
    >>>
    >>> I have a Blackberry 8310 (Curve --> from Rogers, Canada). It is
    >>> currently set up to receive e-mail from my G-Mail account and leave
    >>> the original copy of the message on the server (regardless of weather
    >>> I delete it from my blackberry or not).
    >>>
    >>> However, when I receive a message on the Blackberry, I would like for
    >>> G-mail to mark that message as read. Currently, when I log into G-
    >>> mail, even after reading a message on my Blackberry, it still shows as
    >>> unread.
    >>>
    >>> After receiving approx 200. messages a day, this can be quite an
    >>> inconvenience, as I sometimes find myself re-reading messages, just to
    >>> be sure I don't miss anything.

    >> Blackberry's mail client is rather pathetic in terms of it's ability to
    >> perform a true two way synchronization against a server.

    >How many pop3 clients do you know that can?

    BB offers both an IMAP and POP3 client.

    >> Going from memory, in BIS mode, Blackberry doesn't push out a "Read"
    >> status to the server, so unfortunately you can't do what you want.

    >Then the OP should use IMAP.

    The BB still doesn't do a two way synchronization against an IMAP
    Server.

    DevilsPGD, Jan 3, 2009
  5. Bosco836

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <> Jono
    <> was claimed to have wrote:

    >on 03/01/2009, DevilsPGD supposed :

    >>> Then the OP should use IMAP.

    >> The BB still doesn't do a two way synchronization against an IMAP
    >> Server.

    >Mine does. Sort of. Any read on the BlackBerry show up as having been
    >read if I log in to gmail.

    This sometimes happens, although there are a number of conditions where
    it doesn't work properly (most of which involve attachments, although we
    bumped into at least one that didn't)

    >Any I delete from my handheld, I'm offered the choice to delete only
    >from the device or both the device and the server.

    How about if you delete something on Gmail, does it disappear from the
    BB? Does the BB know when you mark mail as read vs unread in Gmail?

    DevilsPGD, Jan 5, 2009