    Something like "Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs
    with a Film or Digital Camera" by Bryan Peterson but then for
    Black&White. Any ideas?

    Hoshisato, Aug 3, 2006

  2. "Hoshisato" <> wrote:
    > I'm looking for websites or book recommendations for Black&White
    > techniques either taken by a DSLR or 36mm film. The books and webpages
    > I find always focus on darkroom techniques and that is not what I'm
    > after as I scan the negatives and handle them digitally.
    > Something like "Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs
    > with a Film or Digital Camera" by Bryan Peterson but then for
    > Black&White. Any ideas?

    Although it's for film, I found "The Zone System for 35mm Photographers"
    useful because it has very good descriptions and examples (although the
    photographic reproduction leaves a lot to be desired) of what the different
    zones are used for.

    I've just ordered a stack of books from Amazon on this subject, but they
    won't be here for a week, and it'll take me some time to figure out if
    they're any good.

    Edge of Darkness: The Art... $19.77 1 $19.77
    Elements of Black and Whit... $20.37 1 $20.37
    Digital Black & White Phot... $16.99 1 $16.99

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Aug 3, 2006

  3. Hoshisato wrote:
    > I'm looking for websites or book recommendations for Black&White
    > techniques either taken by a DSLR or 36mm film. The books and webpages
    > I find always focus on darkroom techniques and that is not what I'm
    > after as I scan the negatives and handle them digitally.
    > Something like "Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs
    > with a Film or Digital Camera" by Bryan Peterson but then for
    > Black&White. Any ideas?

    In my opinion the best books on B&W are those written by Ansel Adams. He
    wrote a series of about five books. He is the father of the Zone system.
    His info would be somewhat dated, so I would suggest a modern "zone
    system" book after you read the Adams works. Adam's books are short, but
    packed with info.

    EJ in NJ

    Ernie Willson, Aug 3, 2006
  4. On 3 Aug 2006 01:54:04 -0700, "Hoshisato" <> wrote:

    >I'm looking for websites or book recommendations for Black&White
    >techniques either taken by a DSLR or 36mm film. The books and webpages
    >I find always focus on darkroom techniques and that is not what I'm
    >after as I scan the negatives and handle them digitally.
    >Something like "Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs
    >with a Film or Digital Camera" by Bryan Peterson but then for
    >Black&White. Any ideas?

    A few suggestions -- not about "basic photography" but
    about using digital methods to make black and white prints:

    1. Dan Margulis has written the books titled "Professional
    Photoshop x" where x= the current Photoshop version.
    (IOW, there are nearly as many versions of Dan's book
    as there are PS/CS versions.) In any case, there is always
    a chapter or two on duotones and on pulling the best
    possible grayscale image out of an RGB image. For your
    purposes, the info in that chapter will be worth the cost
    of the book.

    2. Look up Roy Harrington, and QuadTone RIP. Also
    look up Jon Cone and Piezography.

    <www.harrington.com/QuadToneRIP.html>
    <www.inkjetmall.com/>

    3. Join the Yahoo group "DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint"

    4. Dan Burkholder was a "pioneer" in printing from
    digitally-printed internegatives onto real photo paper.
    Get more info at <www.danburkholder.com> He's
    published a couple of books.

    rafe b
    www.terrapinphoto.com

    Raphael Bustin, Aug 3, 2006
  5. Hoshisato

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 01:54:04 -0700, Hoshisato wrote:

    > I'm looking for websites or book recommendations for Black&White
    > techniques either taken by a DSLR or 36mm film. The books and webpages
    > I find always focus on darkroom techniques and that is not what I'm
    > after as I scan the negatives and handle them digitally.
    > Something like "Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs
    > with a Film or Digital Camera" by Bryan Peterson but then for
    > Black&White. Any ideas?

    Why not try it and develop your own techniques?
    --
    Neil
    Delete l to reply

    Neil Ellwood, Aug 3, 2006
  6. Hoshisato

    salgud Guest

    Neil Ellwood wrote:
    > On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 01:54:04 -0700, Hoshisato wrote:
    >
    > > I'm looking for websites or book recommendations for Black&White
    > > techniques either taken by a DSLR or 36mm film. The books and webpages
    > > I find always focus on darkroom techniques and that is not what I'm
    > > after as I scan the negatives and handle them digitally.
    > > Something like "Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs
    > > with a Film or Digital Camera" by Bryan Peterson but then for
    > > Black&White. Any ideas?

    > Why not try it and develop your own techniques?
    > --
    > Neil
    > Delete l to reply

    Great idea! Spend a lifetime trying to figure out what is already
    known, instead of building on the knowledge of geniuses like Adams.

    Actually, I think that developing your own techniques is a great idea,
    AFTER you've studied the masters. I don't know if Neil is one of those
    people who think you don't have to understand the work done before you,
    you can just jump in and be better than Adams because you're so damn
    good. There seem to be a great many people around today who think you
    can be great at something without studying what's been done by previous
    experts who spent a lifetime learning to get to that level. "Don't do
    the work, just jump in and be great!" I think they lack the discipline
    to study and learn from others. I say, read some of the books
    recommended here, and try things on your own. Don't be limited by what
    they've done, but dont' ignore it either. I like Sir Issac Newton's
    quote, "If I have seen farther than others, it's because I have stood
    on the shoulders of giants".

    salgud, Aug 3, 2006
  7. Hoshisato

    Cisco Kid Guest

    Hoshisato wrote:
    > I'm looking for websites or book recommendations for Black&White
    > techniques either taken by a DSLR or 36mm film.

    do you mean 35mm? Typo?

    > Something like "Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs
    > with a Film or Digital Camera" by Bryan Peterson but then for
    > Black&White. Any ideas?

    First off, consider composition - regardless of digital or 35mm film,
    B+W or color - composition is composition. Now B+W comp is even harder
    'cause you need to see and think in B+W. So get a comp book - I have a
    great one - can't remember the name - front cover is mainly white with
    a photo of a bird and the sun - break up into 6 quadrants - great book.

    Other than that - can't help you. But when I need a book on a subject -
    go to Borders or B&N - and I'll pull 10 books over to a table and check
    them all out - table of contents, glossary or not, introduction, read
    parts of chapters - I end up getting the one that makes most sense to
    me and has the most info to offer. Lets face it, we all think and learn
    differently. If you buy a book with great info, but you can stand the
    writing style or presentation on info by the author, then you're not
    going to get as much out of it as a writier whose words knock you off
    you feet.

    Jim

    Cisco Kid, Aug 4, 2006
  8. Hoshisato

    no_name Guest

    salgud wrote:

    > Neil Ellwood wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 01:54:04 -0700, Hoshisato wrote:
    >>

    >>>I'm looking for websites or book recommendations for Black&White
    >>>techniques either taken by a DSLR or 36mm film. The books and webpages
    >>>I find always focus on darkroom techniques and that is not what I'm
    >>>after as I scan the negatives and handle them digitally.
    >>>Something like "Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs
    >>>with a Film or Digital Camera" by Bryan Peterson but then for
    >>>Black&White. Any ideas?

    >>Why not try it and develop your own techniques?
    >>--
    >>Neil
    >>Delete l to reply

    > Great idea! Spend a lifetime trying to figure out what is already
    > known, instead of building on the knowledge of geniuses like Adams.

    Which books did Adams write on B&W photography using a DSLR?

    And FWIW, I expect Neil's answer came closer to what Adams himself would
    have recommended.

    no_name, Aug 6, 2006
  9. no_name <> wrote in news:RulBg.102807$R26.43053
    @tornado.southeast.rr.com:

    > salgud wrote:
    >
    >> Neil Ellwood wrote:

    webpages

    Photographs

    >>>Why not try it and develop your own techniques?
    >>>--
    >>>Neil
    >>>Delete l to reply

    >> Great idea! Spend a lifetime trying to figure out what is already
    >> known, instead of building on the knowledge of geniuses like Adams.

    > Which books did Adams write on B&W photography using a DSLR?
    >
    > And FWIW, I expect Neil's answer came closer to what Adams himself

    would
    > have recommended.

    Think of the time he could have saved writing those books if he'd
    realized that sooner.

    - Al.

    --
    To reply, insert dash in address to match domain below
    Online photo gallery at www.wading-in.net

    Al Denelsbeck, Aug 6, 2006
  10. Hoshisato

    no_name Guest

    Al Denelsbeck wrote:

    > no_name <> wrote in news:RulBg.102807$R26.43053
    > @tornado.southeast.rr.com:
    >

    >>salgud wrote:

    > webpages

    > Photographs

    >>>Great idea! Spend a lifetime trying to figure out what is already
    >>>known, instead of building on the knowledge of geniuses like Adams.

    >>Which books did Adams write on B&W photography using a DSLR?
    >>
    >>And FWIW, I expect Neil's answer came closer to what Adams himself

    > would
    >
    >>have recommended.

    > Think of the time he could have saved writing those books if he'd
    > realized that sooner.
    >

    > - Al.

    The 'develop your own technique' comes from Adams.

    no_name, Aug 7, 2006
  11. Hoshisato

    Bobby Guest

    Keep in mind as you go down this path that Adams developed his techniques
    based on the knowledge of all those that came before him.
    So learning his Zone system and using that knowledge to develope a viable
    technique that works for you sounds a little more resonable.
    IMHO

    Bobby, Aug 7, 2006
  12. Hoshisato

    J. Clarke Guest

    Bobby wrote:

    > Keep in mind as you go down this path that Adams developed his techniques
    > based on the knowledge of all those that came before him.
    > So learning his Zone system and using that knowledge to develope a viable
    > technique that works for you sounds a little more resonable.

    There's a saying in engineering "don't reinvent the wheel". Learn what has
    been done and if it doesn't suit your purpose then go on and develop
    something that does. If you do it any other way then you can waste a lot
    of time going down blind alleys that someone else has already explored.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    J. Clarke, Aug 8, 2006