    and White. Is it possible to get truly exceptional Black and White from
    color using some software? If so, what is the best?

    Jimmy

    Jimmy Smith, Aug 14, 2004

  2. "Jimmy Smith" <> wrote in message
    news:gSuTc.26$...
    > I have read of various ways using Photoshop to turn a color image into

    Black
    > and White. Is it possible to get truly exceptional Black and White from
    > color using some software? If so, what is the best?
    >
    > Jimmy

    I don't know about the "best" but this is one that I like:
    http://www.russellbrown.com/tips/pdf/colortoB&W.pdf

    Charles Schuler, Aug 14, 2004

  3. Jimmy Smith

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "Jimmy Smith"

    >I have read of various ways using Photoshop to turn a color image into Black
    >and White. Is it possible to get truly exceptional Black and White from
    >color using some software? If so, what is the best?

    Try the Channel Mixer in monochrome mode for the most control of the
    conversion.

    Bill Hilton, Aug 14, 2004
  4. That is a good one...I added it to My Tutorials....what? You don't have a My
    Tutorials? Maybe you should.

    Gene Palmiter, Aug 14, 2004
  5. > "Bill Hilton" <> wrote

    > Try the Channel Mixer in monochrome mode for the most control of the
    > conversion.

    For dramatic dark skies, start with 150% red and -50% blue. That's the nice
    thing about the channel mixer: you can use negative gains, or gains greater
    than 100%.

    --

    Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
    Paul mailto:p

    Paul D. DeRocco, Aug 15, 2004
  6. Jimmy Smith

    Keith Cooper Guest

    > For dramatic dark skies, start with 150% red and -50% blue. That's the nice
    > thing about the channel mixer: you can use negative gains, or gains greater
    > than 100%.

    I'd also suggest the dual H/S layer technique which I often find gives
    similar results.

    I did a number of conversions recently for some prints and found that
    converting to Lab and deleting the a/b channels worked really well.

    I've a collection of most of the different conversion techniques (and
    examples) I've been able to find at:
    <http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/bwfromcol.html>

    If anyone has a method that's not there I'd be happy to add it

    bye for now

    Keith Cooper

    Keith Cooper, Aug 15, 2004