    computer then at startup i just get a black screen with the word GRUB _
    at the top right corner, I can't type or do anything, it doesn't want to
    pass this screen. I'll love to get back to my Win2k, Please help..
    JoeyCrack, Oct 1, 2003

  2. JoeyCrack

    Harrison Guest

    You need to restore your Windows boot record.
    Use the recovery console to accomplish this.

    Harrison, Oct 1, 2003

  3. JoeyCrack

    JoeyCrack Guest

    Harrison wrote:
    > You need to restore your Windows boot record.
    > Use the recovery console to accomplish this.
    >
    > On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 22:21:56 GMT, JoeyCrack <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Hello,
    >>Yesterday while formating my RH9 partition from my Win2K machine
    >>Computer Management --> Disk Management option ,, I decided to format
    >>the drive where RH9 was. Well I format it and got my space back and
    >>thought everything was done deal. Well today i went to restart my
    >>computer then at startup i just get a black screen with the word GRUB _
    >>at the top right corner, I can't type or do anything, it doesn't want to
    >> pass this screen. I'll love to get back to my Win2k, Please help..

    Y my windows boot record?
    How do i get to the recovery console, if i cant pass that screen, i'm a
    newbie.
    JoeyCrack, Oct 1, 2003
  4. JoeyCrack

    Harrison Guest

    " I'll love to get back to my Win2k"

    Since you've formatted the Linux installation, and you want to get
    back to Windows, restoring the Windows boot record is the quickest and
    easiest way to accomplish your goals.

    Boot the computer using your Windows 2000 CD. When prompted choose to
    repair the installation. When you get to the commend prompt, type
    fixmbr and hit enter. This will restore the windows boot sector,
    overwriting the grub loader from the linux installation.

    For more on the recovery console and its features, go to
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tr...prodtechnol/windows2000serv/tips/recovcon.asp

    watch out for word wrap on that URL, it ends with .asp.

    Afterwards, you can re-install RH9 if you so desire, and it will set
    up the grub loader for you as before.

    Harrison, Oct 2, 2003
  5. JoeyCrack

    JoeyCrack Guest

    Thanks, this sounds like the solution, what i have to do now is wait for
    my friend to bring me mine windows 2k cd..
    thanks,, i'll let you know if it works

    JoeyCrack, Oct 2, 2003
  6. JoeyCrack

    Harrison Guest

    Very good!
    Please post back to this thread as I am watching it for your results.

    Harrison, Oct 2, 2003
  7. JoeyCrack

    JoeyCrack Guest

    Harrison wrote:
    > Very good!
    > Please post back to this thread as I am watching it for your results.
    >
    > On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 23:34:08 GMT, JoeyCrack <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Thanks, this sounds like the solution, what i have to do now is wait for
    >>my friend to bring me mine windows 2k cd..
    >>thanks,, i'll let you know if it works
    >>

    >>Harrison wrote:
    >>
    >>>" I'll love to get back to my Win2k"
    >>>
    >>>Since you've formatted the Linux installation, and you want to get
    >>>back to Windows, restoring the Windows boot record is the quickest and
    >>>easiest way to accomplish your goals.
    >>>
    >>>Boot the computer using your Windows 2000 CD. When prompted choose to
    >>>repair the installation. When you get to the commend prompt, type
    >>>fixmbr and hit enter. This will restore the windows boot sector,
    >>>overwriting the grub loader from the linux installation.
    >>>
    >>>For more on the recovery console and its features, go to
    >>>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tr...prodtechnol/windows2000serv/tips/recovcon.asp
    >>>
    >>>watch out for word wrap on that URL, it ends with .asp.
    >>>
    >>>Afterwards, you can re-install RH9 if you so desire, and it will set
    >>>up the grub loader for you as before.

    Thanks,
    Inserted CD and went to Repair in recovery console and typed fixmbr and
    WALLLAAAHH!! it did it in milliseconds. very easy, just rebooted and
    worked perfet like a baby.

    thanks for ya help.
    JoeyCrack, Oct 3, 2003
  8. JoeyCrack

    Harrison Guest

    I knew it would!
    Glad things are fixed up for you.

    If you want to try out Linux without having to install it, you may
    want to take a look at Knoppix on LinuxISo_Org.
    It's version of Debian which boots and runs completely from the CD.
    It's pretty amazing.

    Good luck to you,
    Harrison

    Harrison, Oct 3, 2003