    Thanks
    --
    TomP

    =?Utf-8?B?VG9tUA==?=, Jan 15, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?VG9tUA==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    You can reinstall the video driver in safe mode or you can go into VGA mode
    and see if some of your settings need adjusted, screen resolution or refresh
    rates. Sometimes they get mucked up with software installs. You also might
    try an earlier date on system restore to be sure

    John Barnes, Jan 15, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?VG9tUA==?=

    Colin Nowell Guest

    Hi Tom,

    This is probably gonna sound really stupid but when you say "dark" do you
    mean that the monitor hasn't actually gone into standby but that its just
    the screen gone dark and the machine appears to have "hung"? Have you tried
    waiting at this point? (sometimes for up to 10 mins...)

    The reason I say this is because my machine sometimes behaves in the same
    way but ALWAYS eventually starts normally, albeit after a long pause...

    It usually behaves like this when I'm changing over OS's, say from 32bitXP
    back to 64bitXP. When I look in the logs it's usually due to a network
    element or other that has taken a long time to get going or register its
    credentials with my router... stuff like that...

    May be worth a try... (waiting I mean...)

    Colin

    Colin Nowell, Jan 15, 2006
  4. I tried to reinstall but that failed. I removed the drivers then rebooted and
    it came up to the logon screen and appears to be working fine. if it happens
    again I'll repeat the procedure and hopefully it works.
    Thanks for replying
    --
    TomP

    =?Utf-8?B?VG9tUA==?=, Jan 15, 2006
  5. Tried waiting for 30 minutes. Nothing had happened. I found out if I removed
    the video drivers in safe mode which are Microsoft drivers for a Radeon
    Pro700 video card Which their are two different drivers installed. Have not
    tried disabling the one or another but it will reinstall two drivers when I
    log on as administrator. I suspect that the vide drivers may be corrupt or
    that having 2 different drivers loading maybe the cause
    --
    TomP

    =?Utf-8?B?VG9tUA==?=, Jan 15, 2006
  6. Try downloading the latest ATI drivers from their support website.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 15, 2006
  7. Definitly remove both - boot to VGA and install the latest driver.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jan 15, 2006
  8. Installed driver from ATI cured the problem
    --
    TomP

    =?Utf-8?B?VG9tUA==?=, Jan 17, 2006
  9. Did so cured the problem