Black screen of death "System Failed CPU Test"

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Slacker, Dec 19, 2004.

  1. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    I've got this message twice now in the past week. I leave my PC on pretty
    much 24 hrs a day. I've come home and my computer screen is black with the
    exception of a few dozen, muli-colored pixels lit up. My Bios warning is
    saying "System Failed CPU Test" The first time this happen the warning
    message also said something about the CPU temp being too high.

    So when this happens, I just reboot and everything is working well;
    nothing is slow or hanging. It looks like the temps and fans are normal.I
    have no viruses and my systems is clean. The CPU has the orig stock Intel
    fan/heat sink.

    How can I figure out what is causing this?

    Temperatures:
    ...Motherboard 30 °C (86 °F)
    ...CPU 25 °C (77 °F)

    Cooling Fans:
    ...CPU 1896 RPM

    Voltage Values:
    ...CPU Core 1.50 V
    ...+3.3 V 3.41 V
    ...+5 V 5.05 V
    ...+12 V 12.04 V
    ...+5 V Standby 4.53 V

    CPU Properties:
    CPUID CPU Name Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.60GHz

    CPU Speed: CPU Clock 2597.12 MHz (original: 2600 MHz)

    Motherboard Properties: Motherboard Name Asus P4C800-E Deluxe

    OS: XP Pro SP1
    RAM: 1 gb
    --
    Slacker
    Slacker, Dec 19, 2004

  2. Slacker

    Yddap Guest

    In news:eek:psi879mj9m83lxu@slacker,
    Slacker <> opined very noisily:
    > I've got this message twice now in the past week. I leave my PC on
    > pretty much 24 hrs a day. I've come home and my computer screen is
    > black with the exception of a few dozen, muli-colored pixels lit up.
    > My Bios warning is saying "System Failed CPU Test" The first time
    > this happen the warning message also said something about the CPU
    > temp being too high.
    > So when this happens, I just reboot and everything is working well;
    > nothing is slow or hanging. It looks like the temps and fans are
    > normal. I have no viruses and my systems is clean. The CPU has the
    > orig stock Intel fan/heat sink.
    >
    > How can I figure out what is causing this?
    >

    > Temperatures:
    > ..Motherboard 30 °C (86 °F)
    > ..CPU 25 °C (77 °F)
    >
    > Cooling Fans:
    > ..CPU 1896 RPM
    >
    > Voltage Values:
    > ..CPU Core 1.50 V
    > ..+3.3 V 3.41 V
    > ..+5 V 5.05 V
    > ..+12 V 12.04 V
    > ..+5 V Standby 4.53 V
    >

    > CPU Properties:
    > CPUID CPU Name Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.60GHz
    >
    > CPU Speed: CPU Clock 2597.12 MHz (original: 2600 MHz)
    >
    > Motherboard Properties: Motherboard Name Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
    >
    > OS: XP Pro SP1
    > RAM: 1 gb

    Cooling Fans:
    > ..CPU 1896 RPM

    Strikes me as slow ( but I use AMD )

    :-(
    --

    Yddap
    Remove guts to reply
    Yddap, Dec 19, 2004

  3. Slacker

    °Mike° Guest

    http://www.google.com/search?q="system failed cpu test"

    http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q="system failed cpu test"

    On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 04:14:00 -0800, in
    <opsi879mj9m83lxu@slacker>
    Slacker scrawled:

    >I've got this message twice now in the past week. I leave my PC on pretty
    >much 24 hrs a day. I've come home and my computer screen is black with the
    >exception of a few dozen, muli-colored pixels lit up. My Bios warning is
    >saying "System Failed CPU Test" The first time this happen the warning
    >message also said something about the CPU temp being too high.
    >
    >So when this happens, I just reboot and everything is working well;
    >nothing is slow or hanging. It looks like the temps and fans are normal. I
    >have no viruses and my systems is clean. The CPU has the orig stock Intel
    >fan/heat sink.
    >
    >How can I figure out what is causing this?

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 19, 2004
  4. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    Woo... that was a lot of reading, but good stuff.

    Thanks for the reminder. Google has to be the best invention for the net
    since the net.
    --
    Slacker

    --
    Slacker
    Slacker, Dec 20, 2004
  5. Slacker

    °Mike° Guest

    Did you find the answer?

    On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 19:06:41 -0800, in
    <opsjadlfsim83lxu@slacker>
    Slacker scrawled:

    >Woo... that was a lot of reading, but good stuff.
    >
    >Thanks for the reminder. Google has to be the best invention for the net
    >since the net.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 20, 2004
  6. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    Yes, I believe so, but I'll know for sure when I replace the stock heat
    sink.
    --
    Slacker

    --
    Slacker
    Slacker, Dec 20, 2004
  7. On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 19:06:41 -0800, Slacker <>
    wrote:

    >Woo... that was a lot of reading, but good stuff.
    >
    >Thanks for the reminder. Google has to be the best invention for the net
    >since the net.
    >--
    >Slacker

    It was not the first search engine by a long trot. My personal opinion
    is it is be comming less useful. To many buy here pages returned on
    nearly all searches unless one spend time refining search. Is
    webcrawler still going?? Yep. Damn looks really different now..
    Lurk re_relurking, Dec 20, 2004
  8. Slacker

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Lurk re_relurking" <> wrote in message
    | On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 19:06:41 -0800, Slacker <>
    | wrote:
    |
    | >Woo... that was a lot of reading, but good stuff.
    | >
    | >Thanks for the reminder. Google has to be the best invention for the net
    | >since the net.
    | >--
    | >Slacker
    | It was not the first search engine by a long trot. My personal opinion
    | is it is be comming less useful. To many buy here pages returned on
    | nearly all searches unless one spend time refining search. Is
    | webcrawler still going?? Yep. Damn looks really different now..

    nearly too convoluted to understand.
    Toolman Tim, Dec 20, 2004
  9. On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 20:53:03 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:

    >"Lurk re_relurking" <> wrote in message
    >| On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 19:06:41 -0800, Slacker <>
    >| wrote:
    >|
    >| >Woo... that was a lot of reading, but good stuff.
    >| >
    >| >Thanks for the reminder. Google has to be the best invention for the net
    >| >since the net.
    >| >--
    >| >Slacker
    >| It was not the first search engine by a long trot. My personal opinion
    >| is it is be comming less useful. To many buy here pages returned on
    >| nearly all searches unless one spend time refining search. Is
    >| webcrawler still going?? Yep. Damn looks really different now..

    >nearly too convoluted to understand.

    I apologise. I will try to write much clear in the future.
    When did you become moderator??
    Lurk re_relurking, Dec 21, 2004
  10. Slacker

    | On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 20:53:03 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
    | <> wrote:
    |

    | >"Lurk re_relurking" <> wrote in message
    | >| On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 19:06:41 -0800, Slacker <>
    | >| wrote:
    | >|

    | >| It was not the first search engine by a long trot. My personal opinion
    | >| is it is be comming less useful. To many buy here pages returned on
    | >| nearly all searches unless one spend time refining search. Is
    | >| webcrawler still going?? Yep. Damn looks really different now..

    is
    | >nearly too convoluted to understand.

    | I apologise. I will try to write much clear in the future.
    | When did you become moderator??

    What moderator? There is no moderator here...just someone confused by poor
    sentence structure, bad spelling, inadequate punctuation, etc.
    Toolman Tim, Dec 21, 2004
  11. On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:11:45 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:

    >"Lurk re_relurking" <> wrote in message
    >| On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 20:53:03 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
    >| <> wrote:
    >|

    >| >"Lurk re_relurking" <> wrote in message
    >| >|

    >net

    >is
    >| >nearly too convoluted to understand.
    >
    >| I apologise. I will try to write much clear in the future.
    >| When did you become moderator??
    >
    >What moderator? There is no moderator here...just someone confused by poor
    >sentence structure, bad spelling, inadequate punctuation, etc.

    Let me see, you have low literal comprehesion. Also you try and tell
    people what to do on a usernet newsgroup while knowing there is no
    moderator, especially you. Then to top it off that your a grammar Nazi
    and spellbot.
    What a multi skilled fellow you are.
    "Oh Goodie! I've found a net kook!", was my first reaction, but then I
    read some of your other postings here and realisation dawned. You seem
    useful when not trying to flex you muscles, rather badly may I say.
    Had a bad day at work did we??
    Well cheer up, I'm sure you can find someone to beat up.
    So I apologise for my rash earlier thoughts about your net nuttiness,
    and wish you a merry and joyous Christmas.
    Lurk re_relurking, Dec 22, 2004