Black lines on screen on bootup

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Bryan Henderson, Oct 30, 2003.

  1. sometimes when I startup the screen is a mass of short black horizontal
    lines and it isn't possible to do anything other than press the reset
    button. The next time the pc always starts fine, however I really want to
    know what is going on here before this develops into a terminal fault rather
    than an occasional intermitant one.

    My graphics card is a Radeon VE DDR powered by Ati. Any help would be
    appreciated. TIA.
     
    Bryan Henderson, Oct 30, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Bryan Henderson

    Shep© Guest

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 08:44:01 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Bryan Henderson"
    <> wrote :

    >sometimes when I startup the screen is a mass of short black horizontal
    >lines and it isn't possible to do anything other than press the reset
    >button. The next time the pc always starts fine, however I really want to
    >know what is going on here before this develops into a terminal fault rather
    >than an occasional intermitant one.
    >
    >My graphics card is a Radeon VE DDR powered by Ati. Any help would be
    >appreciated. TIA.
    >


    Is this a,"Self-build" system.Even if not I'd have to suspect the
    power supply.



    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/trouble.html
    email shepATpartyheld.de
    Free songs download,
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm
     
    Shep©, Oct 30, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. "Shep©" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 08:44:01 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    > invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Bryan Henderson"
    > <> wrote :
    >
    > >sometimes when I startup the screen is a mass of short black horizontal
    > >lines and it isn't possible to do anything other than press the reset
    > >button. The next time the pc always starts fine, however I really want to
    > >know what is going on here before this develops into a terminal fault

    rather
    > >than an occasional intermitant one.
    > >
    > >My graphics card is a Radeon VE DDR powered by Ati. Any help would be
    > >appreciated. TIA.
    > >

    >
    > Is this a,"Self-build" system.Even if not I'd have to suspect the
    > power supply.
    >


    yes I built this system 2 years ago and this is the second power supply. I
    replaced the original one with a 400 watt dual fan PSU about a year ago.
     
    Bryan Henderson, Oct 30, 2003
    #3
  4. Bryan Henderson

    kony Guest

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 21:37:27 -0000, "Bryan Henderson"
    <> wrote:


    >> Is this a,"Self-build" system.Even if not I'd have to suspect the
    >> power supply.
    >>

    >
    >yes I built this system 2 years ago and this is the second power supply. I
    >replaced the original one with a 400 watt dual fan PSU about a year ago.
    >


    The new(er) PSU is a name-brand or generic, possibly junk?


    Dave
     
    kony, Oct 30, 2003
    #4
  5. Bryan Henderson

    anonsoc Guest

    Usually, this problem is due to the monitor and vid card being out of sync,
    but not always.

    I know the most recent catalyst drivers from ATI have blown a few monitors,
    ATI says it's false but more and more complaints are coming in about claims
    for lost monitors, however if it's on bootup this shouldn't be the problem
    if drivers aren't loaded.

    When you say bootup you mean when you turn it on? Or when you get into OS?
    or what.
    "Shep©" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 08:44:01 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    > invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Bryan Henderson"
    > <> wrote :
    >
    > >sometimes when I startup the screen is a mass of short black horizontal
    > >lines and it isn't possible to do anything other than press the reset
    > >button. The next time the pc always starts fine, however I really want to
    > >know what is going on here before this develops into a terminal fault

    rather
    > >than an occasional intermitant one.
    > >
    > >My graphics card is a Radeon VE DDR powered by Ati. Any help would be
    > >appreciated. TIA.
    > >

    >
    > Is this a,"Self-build" system.Even if not I'd have to suspect the
    > power supply.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Free Windows/PC help,
    > http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/trouble.html
    > email shepATpartyheld.de
    > Free songs download,
    > http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm
     
    anonsoc, Oct 31, 2003
    #5
  6. "anonsoc" <> wrote in message
    news:REoob.7742$...
    > Usually, this problem is due to the monitor and vid card being out of

    sync,
    > but not always.
    >
    > I know the most recent catalyst drivers from ATI have blown a few

    monitors,
    > ATI says it's false but more and more complaints are coming in about

    claims
    > for lost monitors, however if it's on bootup this shouldn't be the problem
    > if drivers aren't loaded.
    >
    > When you say bootup you mean when you turn it on? Or when you get into

    OS?
    > or what.


    What I mean is when it gets into the OS. I can usually see the start button
    and the mouse cursor but nothing else and the start button doesn't do
    anything. The various screens with Windows logos as it boots are fine,
    however this fault only happens about one time in 20 startups or even less.

    The newer PSU is a Q-Tec PSU 400W Dual fan Gold see www.qtec.info

    The drivers I am using are the ones that came with the unbranded Radeon
    video card. I have dual monitors on this PC both show up as being AOC
    Spectrum 7NIr although one is an AOC 7VIr and the other a very old
    Gateway2000 1572 Crystalscan monitor.
     
    Bryan Henderson, Oct 31, 2003
    #6
  7. "kony" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 21:37:27 -0000, "Bryan Henderson"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >
    > >> Is this a,"Self-build" system.Even if not I'd have to suspect the
    > >> power supply.
    > >>

    > >
    > >yes I built this system 2 years ago and this is the second power supply.

    I
    > >replaced the original one with a 400 watt dual fan PSU about a year ago.
    > >

    >
    > The new(er) PSU is a name-brand or generic, possibly junk?
    >


    The newer PSU is a Q-Tec PSU 400W Dual fan Gold see www.qtec.info I don't
    believe it is junk. Most of the time this PC works fine. The fault is very
    intermittent one startup in 20 or 30 perhaps.
     
    Bryan Henderson, Oct 31, 2003
    #7
  8. Bryan Henderson

    kony Guest

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:16:37 -0000, "Bryan Henderson"
    <> wrote:


    >> The new(er) PSU is a name-brand or generic, possibly junk?
    >>

    >
    >The newer PSU is a Q-Tec PSU 400W Dual fan Gold see www.qtec.info I don't
    >believe it is junk. Most of the time this PC works fine. The fault is very
    >intermittent one startup in 20 or 30 perhaps.
    >



    It isn't the worst PSU out there, is pretty, dressed-up, but not a
    very good PSU, even their 550W model is outperformed by a decent
    name-brand 350W model. This doesn't mean we can assume the power
    supply is the problem, but it might easily be. At the very least I
    recommend you replace that power supply's rear fan NOW, before it
    fails, as they are known to sieze and overheat/damage the unit,
    because they use sleeve-bearing fans of low quality, like the rest of
    the internals. At the very least I would lube the fan now, and again
    at yearly intervals.


    Dave


    Dave
     
    kony, Oct 31, 2003
    #8
  9. Bryan Henderson

    ck26 Guest

    > It isn't the worst PSU out there, is pretty, dressed-up, but not a
    > very good PSU, even their 550W model is outperformed by a decent
    > name-brand 350W model. This doesn't mean we can assume the power
    > supply is the problem, but it might easily be. At the very least I
    > recommend you replace that power supply's rear fan NOW, before it
    > fails, as they are known to sieze and overheat/damage the unit,
    > because they use sleeve-bearing fans of low quality, like the rest of
    > the internals. At the very least I would lube the fan now, and again
    > at yearly intervals.


    Oh that's all dissapointing to hear - I was just about to purchase that
    model!
    What prompted you to suggest that the rear fan might need replacing? That
    seems like a very acute perceptive diagnosis based on all the previous
    info!?!
     
    ck26, Oct 31, 2003
    #9
  10. Bryan Henderson

    kony Guest

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 15:13:37 -0000, "ck26" <> wrote:

    >Oh that's all dissapointing to hear - I was just about to purchase that
    >model!
    >What prompted you to suggest that the rear fan might need replacing? That
    >seems like a very acute perceptive diagnosis based on all the previous
    >info!?!
    >


    I've owned and received PSU with same fans that siezed, they simply
    aren't suited to a high-heat or long-term high RPM use. It's a shame
    they can't spend the few cents more for a better fan, but a few cents
    saved here, a few saved there, more profit for them.

    Those siezed fans "might" work again after being lubed, but the PSU is
    stressed from the heat if left running and it's low-spec parts
    (especially the caps) start failing.


    Dave
     
    kony, Oct 31, 2003
    #10
  11. Bryan Henderson

    Shep© Guest

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:07:14 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Bryan Henderson"
    <> wrote :

    >
    >"anonsoc" <> wrote in message
    >news:REoob.7742$...
    >> Usually, this problem is due to the monitor and vid card being out of

    >sync,
    >> but not always.
    >>
    >> I know the most recent catalyst drivers from ATI have blown a few

    >monitors,
    >> ATI says it's false but more and more complaints are coming in about

    >claims
    >> for lost monitors, however if it's on bootup this shouldn't be the problem
    >> if drivers aren't loaded.
    >>
    >> When you say bootup you mean when you turn it on? Or when you get into

    >OS?
    >> or what.

    >
    >What I mean is when it gets into the OS. I can usually see the start button
    >and the mouse cursor but nothing else and the start button doesn't do
    >anything. The various screens with Windows logos as it boots are fine,
    >however this fault only happens about one time in 20 startups or even less.
    >
    >The newer PSU is a Q-Tec PSU 400W Dual fan Gold see www.qtec.info
    >
    >The drivers I am using are the ones that came with the unbranded Radeon
    >video card. I have dual monitors on this PC both show up as being AOC
    >Spectrum 7NIr although one is an AOC 7VIr and the other a very old
    >Gateway2000 1572 Crystalscan monitor.
    >


    Have you looked for updated mother board AGP drivers?They can
    sometimes help.



    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/trouble.html
    email shepATpartyheld.de
    Free songs download,
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm
     
    Shep©, Oct 31, 2003
    #11
  12. "Shep©" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:07:14 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    > invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Bryan Henderson"
    > <> wrote :
    >
    > >
    > >"anonsoc" <> wrote in message
    > >news:REoob.7742$...
    > >> Usually, this problem is due to the monitor and vid card being out of

    > >sync,
    > >> but not always.
    > >>
    > >> I know the most recent catalyst drivers from ATI have blown a few

    > >monitors,
    > >> ATI says it's false but more and more complaints are coming in about

    > >claims
    > >> for lost monitors, however if it's on bootup this shouldn't be the

    problem
    > >> if drivers aren't loaded.
    > >>
    > >> When you say bootup you mean when you turn it on? Or when you get into

    > >OS?
    > >> or what.

    > >
    > >What I mean is when it gets into the OS. I can usually see the start

    button
    > >and the mouse cursor but nothing else and the start button doesn't do
    > >anything. The various screens with Windows logos as it boots are fine,
    > >however this fault only happens about one time in 20 startups or even

    less.
    > >
    > >The newer PSU is a Q-Tec PSU 400W Dual fan Gold see www.qtec.info
    > >
    > >The drivers I am using are the ones that came with the unbranded Radeon
    > >video card. I have dual monitors on this PC both show up as being AOC
    > >Spectrum 7NIr although one is an AOC 7VIr and the other a very old
    > >Gateway2000 1572 Crystalscan monitor.
    > >

    >
    > Have you looked for updated mother board AGP drivers?They can
    > sometimes help.
    >

    no I am not sure where to look as the graphics card is unbranded. It is a
    Radeon VE powered by Ati with 64 mb DDR memory. Any suggestions?
     
    Bryan Henderson, Nov 1, 2003
    #12
  13. Bryan Henderson

    Shep© Guest

    On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 00:51:56 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Bryan Henderson"
    <> wrote :

    >
    >"Shep©" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >> On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:07:14 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    >> invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Bryan Henderson"
    >> <> wrote :
    >>
    >> >
    >> >"anonsoc" <> wrote in message
    >> >news:REoob.7742$...
    >> >> Usually, this problem is due to the monitor and vid card being out of
    >> >sync,
    >> >> but not always.
    >> >>
    >> >> I know the most recent catalyst drivers from ATI have blown a few
    >> >monitors,
    >> >> ATI says it's false but more and more complaints are coming in about
    >> >claims
    >> >> for lost monitors, however if it's on bootup this shouldn't be the

    >problem
    >> >> if drivers aren't loaded.
    >> >>
    >> >> When you say bootup you mean when you turn it on? Or when you get into
    >> >OS?
    >> >> or what.
    >> >
    >> >What I mean is when it gets into the OS. I can usually see the start

    >button
    >> >and the mouse cursor but nothing else and the start button doesn't do
    >> >anything. The various screens with Windows logos as it boots are fine,
    >> >however this fault only happens about one time in 20 startups or even

    >less.
    >> >
    >> >The newer PSU is a Q-Tec PSU 400W Dual fan Gold see www.qtec.info
    >> >
    >> >The drivers I am using are the ones that came with the unbranded Radeon
    >> >video card. I have dual monitors on this PC both show up as being AOC
    >> >Spectrum 7NIr although one is an AOC 7VIr and the other a very old
    >> >Gateway2000 1572 Crystalscan monitor.
    >> >

    >>
    >> Have you looked for updated mother board AGP drivers?They can
    >> sometimes help.
    >>

    > no I am not sure where to look as the graphics card is unbranded. It is a
    >Radeon VE powered by Ati with 64 mb DDR memory. Any suggestions?
    >


    You need to go to the mother board maker's site or the mother board
    chip set maker's site e.g for my ECS board I can get the updated
    VGA/AGP drivers pack from ECS or from SIS who make the chip set.for
    Via chip set boards they are called,"VIA 4 in 1" drivers.
    AIDA32 will give you all the info you need,
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/diag.html
    freebie :)



    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/trouble.html
    email shepATpartyheld.de
    Free songs download,
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm
     
    Shep©, Nov 1, 2003
    #13
  14. "kony" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:16:37 -0000, "Bryan Henderson"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >
    > >> The new(er) PSU is a name-brand or generic, possibly junk?
    > >>

    > >
    > >The newer PSU is a Q-Tec PSU 400W Dual fan Gold see www.qtec.info I don't
    > >believe it is junk. Most of the time this PC works fine. The fault is

    very
    > >intermittent one startup in 20 or 30 perhaps.
    > >

    >
    >
    > It isn't the worst PSU out there, is pretty, dressed-up, but not a
    > very good PSU, even their 550W model is outperformed by a decent
    > name-brand 350W model. This doesn't mean we can assume the power
    > supply is the problem, but it might easily be. At the very least I
    > recommend you replace that power supply's rear fan NOW, before it
    > fails, as they are known to sieze and overheat/damage the unit,
    > because they use sleeve-bearing fans of low quality, like the rest of
    > the internals. At the very least I would lube the fan now, and again
    > at yearly intervals.
    >


    What make of PSU do you recommend for future reference? How easy is it to
    change the rear fan? What type of fan should I get if not sleeve-bearing
    type?
     
    Bryan Henderson, Nov 1, 2003
    #14
  15. "Shep©" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 00:51:56 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    > invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Bryan Henderson"
    > <> wrote :
    >
    > >
    > >"Shep©" <> wrote in message
    > >news:...
    > >> On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:07:14 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    > >> invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Bryan Henderson"
    > >> <> wrote :
    > >>
    > >> >
    > >> >"anonsoc" <> wrote in message
    > >> >news:REoob.7742$...
    > >> >> Usually, this problem is due to the monitor and vid card being out

    of
    > >> >sync,
    > >> >> but not always.
    > >> >>
    > >> >> I know the most recent catalyst drivers from ATI have blown a few
    > >> >monitors,
    > >> >> ATI says it's false but more and more complaints are coming in about
    > >> >claims
    > >> >> for lost monitors, however if it's on bootup this shouldn't be the

    > >problem
    > >> >> if drivers aren't loaded.
    > >> >>
    > >> >> When you say bootup you mean when you turn it on? Or when you get

    into
    > >> >OS?
    > >> >> or what.
    > >> >
    > >> >What I mean is when it gets into the OS. I can usually see the start

    > >button
    > >> >and the mouse cursor but nothing else and the start button doesn't do
    > >> >anything. The various screens with Windows logos as it boots are fine,
    > >> >however this fault only happens about one time in 20 startups or even

    > >less.
    > >> >
    > >> >The newer PSU is a Q-Tec PSU 400W Dual fan Gold see www.qtec.info
    > >> >
    > >> >The drivers I am using are the ones that came with the unbranded

    Radeon
    > >> >video card. I have dual monitors on this PC both show up as being AOC
    > >> >Spectrum 7NIr although one is an AOC 7VIr and the other a very old
    > >> >Gateway2000 1572 Crystalscan monitor.
    > >> >
    > >>
    > >> Have you looked for updated mother board AGP drivers?They can
    > >> sometimes help.
    > >>

    > > no I am not sure where to look as the graphics card is unbranded. It is

    a
    > >Radeon VE powered by Ati with 64 mb DDR memory. Any suggestions?
    > >

    >
    > You need to go to the mother board maker's site or the mother board
    > chip set maker's site e.g for my ECS board I can get the updated
    > VGA/AGP drivers pack from ECS or from SIS who make the chip set.for
    > Via chip set boards they are called,"VIA 4 in 1" drivers.
    > AIDA32 will give you all the info you need,
    > http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/diag.html
    > freebie :)
    >


    I have an Elite K7S5A board which has an SIS 735 chipset. Is it best to go
    to ECS or SIS web site?

    I am not sure which one is the right one on ECS site. Any ideas?
     
    Bryan Henderson, Nov 1, 2003
    #15
  16. Bryan Henderson

    Shep© Guest

    On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 01:38:49 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Bryan Henderson"
    <> wrote :

    >
    >"Shep©" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >> On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 00:51:56 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    >> invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Bryan Henderson"
    >> <> wrote :
    >>
    >> >
    >> >"Shep©" <> wrote in message
    >> >news:...
    >> >> On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:07:14 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    >> >> invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Bryan Henderson"
    >> >> <> wrote :
    >> >>
    >> >> >
    >> >> >"anonsoc" <> wrote in message
    >> >> >news:REoob.7742$...
    >> >> >> Usually, this problem is due to the monitor and vid card being out

    >of
    >> >> >sync,
    >> >> >> but not always.
    >> >> >>
    >> >> >> I know the most recent catalyst drivers from ATI have blown a few
    >> >> >monitors,
    >> >> >> ATI says it's false but more and more complaints are coming in about
    >> >> >claims
    >> >> >> for lost monitors, however if it's on bootup this shouldn't be the
    >> >problem
    >> >> >> if drivers aren't loaded.
    >> >> >>
    >> >> >> When you say bootup you mean when you turn it on? Or when you get

    >into
    >> >> >OS?
    >> >> >> or what.
    >> >> >
    >> >> >What I mean is when it gets into the OS. I can usually see the start
    >> >button
    >> >> >and the mouse cursor but nothing else and the start button doesn't do
    >> >> >anything. The various screens with Windows logos as it boots are fine,
    >> >> >however this fault only happens about one time in 20 startups or even
    >> >less.
    >> >> >
    >> >> >The newer PSU is a Q-Tec PSU 400W Dual fan Gold see www.qtec.info
    >> >> >
    >> >> >The drivers I am using are the ones that came with the unbranded

    >Radeon
    >> >> >video card. I have dual monitors on this PC both show up as being AOC
    >> >> >Spectrum 7NIr although one is an AOC 7VIr and the other a very old
    >> >> >Gateway2000 1572 Crystalscan monitor.
    >> >> >
    >> >>
    >> >> Have you looked for updated mother board AGP drivers?They can
    >> >> sometimes help.
    >> >>
    >> > no I am not sure where to look as the graphics card is unbranded. It is

    >a
    >> >Radeon VE powered by Ati with 64 mb DDR memory. Any suggestions?
    >> >

    >>
    >> You need to go to the mother board maker's site or the mother board
    >> chip set maker's site e.g for my ECS board I can get the updated
    >> VGA/AGP drivers pack from ECS or from SIS who make the chip set.for
    >> Via chip set boards they are called,"VIA 4 in 1" drivers.
    >> AIDA32 will give you all the info you need,
    >> http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/diag.html
    >> freebie :)
    >>

    >
    >I have an Elite K7S5A board which has an SIS 735 chipset. Is it best to go
    >to ECS or SIS web site?
    >
    >I am not sure which one is the right one on ECS site. Any ideas?
    >


    There are many AGP revisions.The latest,and the one I use in
    win98SE/XP,is the 117.
    http://driver2.sis.com/agp/
    faster from the FTP server.
    HTH :)



    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/trouble.html
    email shepATpartyheld.de
    Free songs download,
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm
     
    Shep©, Nov 1, 2003
    #16
  17. Bryan Henderson

    Shep© Guest

    On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 01:41:32 +0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    invention that lemmings jump off cliffs Shep© <>
    wrote :

    >>> >>
    >>> >> Have you looked for updated mother board AGP drivers?They can
    >>> >> sometimes help.
    >>> >>
    >>> > no I am not sure where to look as the graphics card is unbranded. It is

    >>a
    >>> >Radeon VE powered by Ati with 64 mb DDR memory. Any suggestions?
    >>> >
    >>>
    >>> You need to go to the mother board maker's site or the mother board
    >>> chip set maker's site e.g for my ECS board I can get the updated
    >>> VGA/AGP drivers pack from ECS or from SIS who make the chip set.for
    >>> Via chip set boards they are called,"VIA 4 in 1" drivers.
    >>> AIDA32 will give you all the info you need,
    >>> http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/diag.html
    >>> freebie :)
    >>>

    >>
    >>I have an Elite K7S5A board which has an SIS 735 chipset. Is it best to go
    >>to ECS or SIS web site?
    >>
    >>I am not sure which one is the right one on ECS site. Any ideas?
    >>

    >
    >There are many AGP revisions.The latest,and the one I use in
    >win98SE/XP,is the 117.
    >http://driver2.sis.com/agp/
    >faster from the FTP server.
    >HTH :)


    PS
    I have the same board and use the latest HoneyX BIOS,
    http://pub140.ezboard.com/fk7s5amotherboardforumfrm6



    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/trouble.html
    email shepATpartyheld.de
    Free songs download,
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm
     
    Shep©, Nov 1, 2003
    #17
  18. Bryan Henderson

    Shep© Guest

    On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 01:43:14 +0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    invention that lemmings jump off cliffs Shep© <>
    wrote :
    >
    >>>> >>
    >>>> >> Have you looked for updated mother board AGP drivers?They can
    >>>> >> sometimes help.
    >>>> >>
    >>>> > no I am not sure where to look as the graphics card is unbranded. It is
    >>>a
    >>>> >Radeon VE powered by Ati with 64 mb DDR memory. Any suggestions?
    >>>> >
    >>>>
    >>>> You need to go to the mother board maker's site or the mother board
    >>>> chip set maker's site e.g for my ECS board I can get the updated
    >>>> VGA/AGP drivers pack from ECS or from SIS who make the chip set.for
    >>>> Via chip set boards they are called,"VIA 4 in 1" drivers.
    >>>> AIDA32 will give you all the info you need,
    >>>> http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/diag.html
    >>>> freebie :)
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>>I have an Elite K7S5A board which has an SIS 735 chipset. Is it best to go
    >>>to ECS or SIS web site?
    >>>
    >>>I am not sure which one is the right one on ECS site. Any ideas?
    >>>

    >>
    >>There are many AGP revisions.The latest,and the one I use in
    >>win98SE/XP,is the 117.
    >>http://driver2.sis.com/agp/
    >>faster from the FTP server.
    >>HTH :)

    >
    >PS
    >I have the same board and use the latest HoneyX BIOS,
    >http://pub140.ezboard.com/fk7s5amotherboardforumfrm6


    PPS
    I keep a boatable .ISO of that bios here,
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/stuff/oc030327.zip
    Readme included.



    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/trouble.html
    email shepATpartyheld.de
    Free songs download,
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm
     
    Shep©, Nov 1, 2003
    #18
  19. Bryan Henderson

    kony Guest

    On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 01:00:43 -0000, "Bryan Henderson"
    <> wrote:


    >> It isn't the worst PSU out there, is pretty, dressed-up, but not a
    >> very good PSU, even their 550W model is outperformed by a decent
    >> name-brand 350W model. This doesn't mean we can assume the power
    >> supply is the problem, but it might easily be. At the very least I
    >> recommend you replace that power supply's rear fan NOW, before it
    >> fails, as they are known to sieze and overheat/damage the unit,
    >> because they use sleeve-bearing fans of low quality, like the rest of
    >> the internals. At the very least I would lube the fan now, and again
    >> at yearly intervals.
    >>

    >
    >What make of PSU do you recommend for future reference? How easy is it to
    >change the rear fan? What type of fan should I get if not sleeve-bearing
    >type?
    >


    There are many good name-brands, that is the assurance of quality.
    Antec, Sparkle/Fortron, Delta, higher-wattage Enermax, PC Power &
    Cooling, "some" of the Channel Wells, Seasonic, it can depend on what
    wattage you want too, and the price-point.

    For example, the least costly >= 400W I'd consider would be a Chieftec
    420W, but their fans aren't the greatest either, yet fans are
    relatively cheap. The best value at >= 400W is probably a
    Sparkle/Fortron 400W, but they lack an air intake on the underside, so
    more attention is needed for motherboard cooling. Sparkle/Fortron are
    also one of the best values at the 300-350W range, and quieter than
    average too.

    Antecs are solid but overpriced in the Truepower series, as are
    Seasonics, and Enermax are good as well but too optimistically rated,
    figure only worth 70-80% of rated wattage compared to the other
    aforementioned brands. Deltas are arguably the best bang-for-buck and
    good quality, but usually only OEM, hard to find and they sell out
    quick when a vendor gets a single lot of them.

    Of course there are others but they're harder to find, the main point
    would be to buy a brand that's a manufacturer of PSU, or field-tested
    to be good, like Antec. Many of these PSU manufacturers also make
    generic PSU, but they don't put THEIR name on the label on those
    lower-end models.

    I don't know how easy the rear fan is to change, it depends on whether
    they soldered it to the PCB or not. I thought those had a single,
    small connector on the PCB, into which was plugged a splitter with
    two plugs on it, into which both fans were plugged. If that's the
    situation then you can unplug the fan from the splitter and buy
    another with same connector, or perhaps it's as easy to solder-on the
    leads to the old fan connector, rather than hunting around for a fan
    with the connector already on it, as the connector isn't the common
    type found on motherboards, such a fan would be available at
    electronics supply houses rather than PC shops or PC vendors. The
    best solution is probably to buy the exact fan you want and then go
    from there, whatever is needed to adapt to the PSU.

    There are only a couple of decent sleeve-bearing fan makes IMHO, Papst
    and Panaflo, but for the rear exhaust on a PSU it is best to use a
    name-brand dual ball-bearing fan. A few decent makes might include
    Nidec, NMB, Sunon, Papst, Delta, Sanyo-Denki, Comair-Rotron, Panaflo's
    Ball-bearing versions (which are rare, hard to find). Choose similar
    RPM or amperage rating for similar airflow, or if you're confident
    that it'll stay cool with lower airflow, noise, you might choose a
    somewhat lower RPM fan.


    Dave






















    Dave
     
    kony, Nov 1, 2003
    #19
  20. Bryan Henderson

    kony Guest

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:07:14 -0000, "Bryan Henderson"
    <> wrote:

    >
    >What I mean is when it gets into the OS. I can usually see the start button
    >and the mouse cursor but nothing else and the start button doesn't do
    >anything. The various screens with Windows logos as it boots are fine,
    >however this fault only happens about one time in 20 startups or even less.


    You might try testing the memory with
    http://www.memtest86.com

    Also you could try disabling everything loading at windows' startup,
    though with this problem only occuring once in 20 times it may be hard
    to troubleshoot.


    Dave

    Dave
     
    kony, Nov 1, 2003
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    Modems, Analog Lines and ... Electrical Lines?

    Sens Fan Happy In Ohio, Aug 5, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    1,094
  2. Mick
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,548
    Shep©
    Jul 24, 2005
  3. GodfatherFan

    Stripes on screen/lockup during bootup - WinXP

    GodfatherFan, Jan 16, 2006, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    508
    GodfatherFan
    Feb 8, 2006
  4. Rolf
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    870
  5. grumpyoldhori

    TV card and black lines.

    grumpyoldhori, Oct 23, 2007, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    310
    Richard
    Oct 24, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page