    level on or off. Unfortunately, I can't find the instruction manual to this
    DVD player to read what the preferred setting is. Could someone give me the
    layperson's guide to what having black level on does? TIA.
    JMKAUFFMAN, Nov 25, 2003

  2. JMKAUFFMAN

    Biz Guest

    If your tv supports black level expansion or "expanded black level", it
    should probably be on. Tv's older than a few years or many inexpensive tvs
    still do not have that support, so for those you turn it off. Its based on
    the tv, not the dvd player, whether is should be on or off

    Biz, Nov 25, 2003

  3. JMKAUFFMAN

    Chris4V Guest

    Leave it on
    Chris4V, Nov 26, 2003
  4. JMKAUFFMAN

    Erik Harris Guest

    On 25 Nov 2003 16:25:52 GMT, tose (JMKAUFFMAN) wrote:

    >I'm sure this will go down in the annals of alt.video.dvd as one of the
    >stupider questions, but I inadvertently hit the "black level" button on my
    >remote the other night and am now unsure as to whether I should have black
    >level on or off. Unfortunately, I can't find the instruction manual to this
    >DVD player to read what the preferred setting is. Could someone give me the
    >layperson's guide to what having black level on does? TIA.

    Off. Always, no ifs, ands, or buts... With maybe one "except."

    Black-Level Enhancement supresses the darker areas of the picture. If you
    think of it in digital terms, with luminance values from 0-255 (though I
    believe NTSC video sources are supposed to have a slightly lower dynamic
    range, this range will serve fine as an example), turning "BLE" off will give
    you all 256 luminance values. That is good, provided you took some time to
    do at least a semi-decent job of calibrating your TV (get Sound & Vision's
    calibration disc for about $15, or get Ovation's higher end "Avia"
    calibration disc for about three times as much. There are others that may be
    just as good or better, but I'm not familiar with them).

    If you turn "BLE" on, you will tell it to remap, say, 16-256 to 0-256. It
    cuts off the lowest 16 luminance values to make the screen darker, and
    "enhance" the blacks. It makes them darker by taking all of the detail away.
    It looks marginally better on a poorly calibrated TV, but you're solving one
    problem by introducing another problem, instead of actually solving the
    problem.

    As for the possible "Except" -- The only time you would want to turn this
    "enahcement" on is if a DVD is improperly mastered. If ALL levels are
    elevated such that the DVD doesn't _have_ any actual black levels, you might
    be better off with this on. The only reason that this would happen is if
    you've got a DVD made by someone who was monitoring their processing on a
    very poorly calibrated monitor.

    --
    Erik Harris n$wsr$ader@$harrishom$.com
    AIM: KngFuJoe http://www.eharrishome.com

    The above email address is obfuscated to try to prevent SPAM.
    Replace each dollar sign with an "e" for the correct address.
    Erik Harris, Nov 30, 2003