black and white

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by lurk, Aug 18, 2007.

  1. lurk

    lurk Guest

    any suggestions how to get quality black and white pictures with a sony
    digital camera ....thanks
    lurk, Aug 18, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. On Aug 18, 9:05 am, "lurk" <> wrote:
    > any suggestions how to get quality black and white pictures with a sony
    > digital camera ....thanks


    You have two options for monochrome with a digital camera. If the
    camera has a monochrome mode, you can use that. Or, you can convert
    from color to monochrome in a photo editing program such as Photoshop
    or Paint Shop Pro. Even though my camera has a monochrome mode, I
    prefer to do the conversion in my computer, for several reasons.

    First, I may sometime want a color image of the shot. If taken and
    stored as monochrome I am out of luck. Secondly, I find more options
    doing it in the computer. There are several ways to do the
    conversion, and one can do prefiltering before the conversion. The
    flexibility is nice. Also, I can get a hand-tinted effect by taking a
    monochrome conversion and combining it with the original color file.
    One can even do the conversion when printing, with many printers, by
    simply telling the printer to print monochrome. I find this the least
    satisfactory method, however.
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Aug 18, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. lurk

    Matt Ion Guest

    Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote:
    > On Aug 18, 9:05 am, "lurk" <> wrote:
    >> any suggestions how to get quality black and white pictures with a sony
    >> digital camera ....thanks

    >
    > You have two options for monochrome with a digital camera. If the
    > camera has a monochrome mode, you can use that. Or, you can convert
    > from color to monochrome in a photo editing program such as Photoshop
    > or Paint Shop Pro. Even though my camera has a monochrome mode, I
    > prefer to do the conversion in my computer, for several reasons.
    >
    > First, I may sometime want a color image of the shot. If taken and
    > stored as monochrome I am out of luck. Secondly, I find more options
    > doing it in the computer. There are several ways to do the
    > conversion, and one can do prefiltering before the conversion. The
    > flexibility is nice. Also, I can get a hand-tinted effect by taking a
    > monochrome conversion and combining it with the original color file.
    > One can even do the conversion when printing, with many printers, by
    > simply telling the printer to print monochrome. I find this the least
    > satisfactory method, however.


    I'll second all that.
    Matt Ion, Aug 19, 2007
    #3
  4. lurk

    SecondCity Guest

    On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 04:28:32 GMT, Matt Ion <> wrote:

    >Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote:
    >> On Aug 18, 9:05 am, "lurk" <> wrote:
    >>> any suggestions how to get quality black and white pictures with a sony
    >>> digital camera ....thanks

    >>
    >> You have two options for monochrome with a digital camera. If the
    >> camera has a monochrome mode, you can use that. Or, you can convert
    >> from color to monochrome in a photo editing program such as Photoshop
    >> or Paint Shop Pro. Even though my camera has a monochrome mode, I
    >> prefer to do the conversion in my computer, for several reasons.
    >>
    >> First, I may sometime want a color image of the shot. If taken and
    >> stored as monochrome I am out of luck. Secondly, I find more options
    >> doing it in the computer. There are several ways to do the
    >> conversion, and one can do prefiltering before the conversion. The
    >> flexibility is nice. Also, I can get a hand-tinted effect by taking a
    >> monochrome conversion and combining it with the original color file.
    >> One can even do the conversion when printing, with many printers, by
    >> simply telling the printer to print monochrome. I find this the least
    >> satisfactory method, however.

    >
    >I'll second all that.


    It would also depend on which Sony camera you have. The only ones I have had
    experience with only have a Sepia effect that you can play with. While this
    shouldn't be used to capture your photo (it's best to save the full color image
    then do as suggested above, create B&W in post-processing), it is however a
    better way to visualize what the B&W image will look like. This is also one of
    the great plusses of many P&S cameras, allowing you to see the scene in B&W or
    monochrome modes. It's often very difficult to ignore all the garish colors in a
    scene to know if it would transpose well to a nice B&W composition. Having an
    EVF/LCD system where you can turn off the colors and impose other effects on the
    scene that you are trying to shoot allows you to better judge your in-camera
    composition before you even press the shutter.

    Keep in mind later that when using channel-mixing in your editor for your B&W
    composition that the RGB values are not equal to 100% red, 100% green, and 100%
    blue (or 33%, 33%, 33% depending on how your photo editor presents those 3
    channel values to you). The human eye is much more sensitive to green than other
    colors. To get a true B&W representation of the scene, in the same luminosity
    that your own eyes would perceive, you would have to dial in number to reflect
    that. The last time I did my own vision test on this I came up with (from
    memory) values of something like 63% green, 25% red, and 12% blue, or near
    about. Those are okay starting values to plug into your channel mixer. If your
    channel mixer presents you with 100% of each channel as your starting values
    then adjust accordingly, 189% green, 75% red, and 36% blue. After you dial in
    the proper human-perceived light levels for each RGB channel then you can tweak
    them for any special effects that you would have normally obtained by shooting
    through colored filters when using B&W films.
    SecondCity, Aug 19, 2007
    #4
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Edward

    black and white cctv camera to television ?

    Edward, Feb 27, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    4,620
    Barry OGrady
    Feb 28, 2005
  2. John

    Dvd plays in black and white

    John, May 20, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    4,401
    Brian
    May 21, 2005
  3. jeff liss
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    479
    Andrew
    Sep 5, 2003
  4. Mark C

    My black and white looks blue and gray

    Mark C, Nov 12, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    1,855
    Bill Hilton
    Nov 13, 2003
  5. embee

    Black and White (and Blue)

    embee, Dec 12, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    725
Loading...

Share This Page