    Can the group offer any tips ?

    Ian
    Sydney
    ian matthews, Apr 5, 2004

  2. ian matthews

    Guest

    Re: black and white [software thief]

    "ian matthews" <> wrote:

    > I have a Canon S30 and use Paintshop Pro and Irfinview or processing.
    > I am seeking advice on the best way to produce an image for subsequent black
    > and white photocopying to white paper pamphlets.
    > I tried converting a normal colour photo to greyscale in PSP before printing
    > (no tweaking other than unsharpening),but the result is a little
    > disappointing.
    > Can the group offer any tips ?

    yes, stop using pirated software and pay for it already
    , Apr 5, 2004

  3. ian matthews

    Paul Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > "ian matthews" <> wrote:
    >
    > > I have a Canon S30 and use Paintshop Pro and Irfinview or processing.
    > > I am seeking advice on the best way to produce an image for subsequent

    black
    > > and white photocopying to white paper pamphlets.
    > > I tried converting a normal colour photo to greyscale in PSP before

    printing
    > > (no tweaking other than unsharpening),but the result is a little
    > > disappointing.
    > > Can the group offer any tips ?

    > yes, stop using pirated software and pay for it already

    PLONK, the sound of yet another PRATT going into the kill file
    Paul, Apr 5, 2004
  4. ian matthews

    stewy Guest

    "ian matthews" <> wrote in message
    > I have a Canon S30 and use Paintshop Pro and Irfinview or processing.
    > I am seeking advice on the best way to produce an image for subsequent

    black
    > and white photocopying to white paper pamphlets.
    > I tried converting a normal colour photo to greyscale in PSP before

    printing
    > (no tweaking other than unsharpening),but the result is a little
    > disappointing.
    > Can the group offer any tips ?

    In Photoshop in the layers pallet there are the 3 channels Cyan, Magenta and
    Yellow, try one of those. Also if you desaturate the image use the
    brightness/contrast.
    You biggest problem could be the flyer printing process, which often uses a
    Risograph.
    stewy, Apr 5, 2004
  5. On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 01:28:57 GMT, "ian matthews"
    <> wrote:

    >I have a Canon S30 and use Paintshop Pro and Irfinview or processing.
    >I am seeking advice on the best way to produce an image for subsequent black
    >and white photocopying to white paper pamphlets.
    >I tried converting a normal colour photo to greyscale in PSP before printing
    >(no tweaking other than unsharpening),but the result is a little
    >disappointing.
    >Can the group offer any tips ?

    I was talking to a guy at a fetish do that used to do film photography
    for newspapers, he was describing how because of the printing process
    any soft grey scales tended to wash out, so he had to (my recolection
    is a little bad here, and im sure this was not the exact term he
    used!) develop/print the film as half tone, or something similar...
    basically it sounded as tho the continious tonal spread couldnt be
    re-produced so it needed to have the upper half of the mid tones
    pushed higher (blacker) and the lower mid tones pushed lower (whiter).

    I'm guessing that curves would be best to re-produce this, click the
    curves quater the way up the line, then move the point downwards...
    click the line quater the way down from the top (where that point
    would have been) then push it upwards... bascially compressing the
    greyscale to the lower and upper quadrants.

    When they are then photocopied they should look a lot better due to
    the contrasty print when photocopied will soften out somewhat. You
    could also try screening the photo before copying (I dont know if its
    possible to mimic this in software, or if you need to get a physical
    screen)

    --
    Jonathan Wilson.
    www.somethingerotic.com
    Jonathan Wilson, Apr 5, 2004
  6. ian matthews

    Bill Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I have a Canon S30 and use Paintshop Pro and Irfinview or processing.
    >I am seeking advice on the best way to produce an image for subsequent black
    >and white photocopying to white paper pamphlets.
    >I tried converting a normal colour photo to greyscale in PSP before printing
    >(no tweaking other than unsharpening),but the result is a little
    >disappointing.
    >Can the group offer any tips ?
    >
    >Ian
    >Sydney

    Xnview (freeware) will convert to binary several different ways. The
    result is a series of black dots similar to newspaper pictures. a
    little experimentation should yield pretty good results suitable for
    black and white printing.

    HTH
    Bill

    Bill, Apr 5, 2004
  7. "stewy" <> wrote in message

    > "ian matthews" <> wrote in message
    > > I have a Canon S30 and use Paintshop Pro and Irfinview or processing.
    > > I am seeking advice on the best way to produce an image for subsequent

    > black
    > > and white photocopying to white paper pamphlets.
    > > I tried converting a normal colour photo to greyscale in PSP before

    > printing
    > > (no tweaking other than unsharpening),but the result is a little
    > > disappointing.
    > > Can the group offer any tips ?
    > >

    > In Photoshop in the layers pallet there are the 3 channels Cyan, Magenta

    and
    > Yellow, try one of those. Also if you desaturate the image use the
    > brightness/contrast.
    > You biggest problem could be the flyer printing process, which often uses

    > Risograph.

    One of the artistic effects in PSP 8 (and perhaps also earlier versions) is
    Halftone. That should help.
    Marvin Margoshes, Apr 8, 2004