    dithering in them, plus CRT is much more cost effective for those sizes,
    but I might have to look at LCD again, if I don't have much luck.

    Thanks
    Dave, Aug 21, 2003

  2. Dave

    k y l e Guest

    "Don Hills" <> wrote in message
    news:LhKR/...
    > In article <>,
    > "Dave" <> wrote:
    > >Hi, I'm looking at buying my self a nice monitor, main requirments it
    > >being black, 21", and CRT, as my system only has beige k/b & monitor

    left
    > >to replace, but so far the best I can find is the AOC19KLR black/silver
    > >monitor, so I might have to take that option, as beige is defintley out

    of
    > >the question.

    > IBM P275 monitor in "Stealth Black". 21" flat screen Trinitron CRT.
    > Modes up to 1920x1440@75Hz. 3 year warranty.
    > $1326.87 + GST, purchased on the web and delivered to your door.
    >
    > IBM have matching black keyboards and mice in PS/2 or USB interface too.
    > The black is designed to match Thinkpad laptops, although you can buy
    > IBM desktops and servers in the same black now.
    >
    > About now, people will be bashing away at their keyboards, typos spilling
    > from their fingers in their haste to tell you that IBM sells overpriced

    crap
    > and they know of a monitor that's just as good at half the price. Just

    bear
    > in mind that the P275 is from their "business" range, not their "home" or
    > "value" ranges, so you need to compare apples with apples. For example,

    IBM
    > will sell you a 19" monitor - "for the value conscious customer" - for

    only
    > $438.20 + GST. And it has a flat screen, and is black, and has a 3 year
    > warranty. It's your choice.
    >
    > I've owned an older IBM P series 21" Trinitron monitor (P200) for several
    > years. The picture is superb. Its successor, the P202, was even better. I
    > haven't heard anything bad about the P275. If my P200 were to die

    tomorrow,
    > I'd buy a P275 in an instant. Once you've had a good big one, you'll never
    > be happy with less...
    >
    > --
    > Don Hills (dmhills at attglobaldotnet) Wellington, New Zealand

    I've just received my new Philips 19'' monitor today, and frankly, it's
    f****en great! I'm doing Quake 3 at 1280x720 and 85hz and WOW!!! Certianly
    is a step up from my old 14'' HP monitor. Price was only $370 incl gst. If
    you want bang for your buck, go for a good brand but cheap price, especially
    while crt monitor prices are very attractive right now.
    k y l e, Aug 22, 2003

  3. Dave

    samg Guest

    "k y l e" <> wrote in

    > "Don Hills" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <>,
    >> "Dave" <> wrote:
    >> >Hi, I'm looking at buying my self a nice monitor, main requirments
    >> >it being black, 21", and CRT, as my system only has beige k/b &
    >> >monitor

    > left
    >> >to replace, but so far the best I can find is the AOC19KLR
    >> >black/silver monitor, so I might have to take that option, as beige
    >> >is defintley out

    > of
    >> >the question.

    >> IBM P275 monitor in "Stealth Black". 21" flat screen Trinitron CRT.
    >> Modes up to 1920x1440@75Hz. 3 year warranty.
    >> $1326.87 + GST, purchased on the web and delivered to your door.
    >>
    >> IBM have matching black keyboards and mice in PS/2 or USB interface
    >> too. The black is designed to match Thinkpad laptops, although you
    >> can buy IBM desktops and servers in the same black now.
    >>
    >> About now, people will be bashing away at their keyboards, typos
    >> spilling from their fingers in their haste to tell you that IBM sells
    >> overpriced

    > crap
    >> and they know of a monitor that's just as good at half the price.

    > I've just received my new Philips 19'' monitor today, and frankly,
    > it's f****en great! I'm doing Quake 3 at 1280x720 and 85hz and WOW!!!
    > Certianly is a step up from my old 14'' HP monitor.

    Jesus do people still use those things?
    samg, Aug 22, 2003
  4. Dave

    Richard Guest

    > > I've just received my new Philips 19'' monitor today, and frankly,
    > > it's f****en great! I'm doing Quake 3 at 1280x720 and 85hz and WOW!!!
    > > Certianly is a step up from my old 14'' HP monitor.

    > Jesus do people still use those things?

    Untill they make a 17" LCD that does 1600x1200, or a 19 that does 1920x1440
    then yes.

    Also, whats with all the 1280x1024 - thats not 4:3 - should be 1280x960...
    Richard, Aug 22, 2003
  5. Dave

    k y l e Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > > > I've just received my new Philips 19'' monitor today, and frankly,
    > > > it's f****en great! I'm doing Quake 3 at 1280x720 and 85hz and WOW!!!
    > > > Certianly is a step up from my old 14'' HP monitor.

    > > Jesus do people still use those things?

    > Untill they make a 17" LCD that does 1600x1200, or a 19 that does

    1920x1440
    > then yes.
    >
    > Also, whats with all the 1280x1024 - thats not 4:3 - should be 1280x960...

    ooops that should be 1280 x 1024 for Quake3 (no idea where the 720 came
    from...gulp)

    And actually YES!!! my new Phillips 19'' is currently on 1920x1440 @85hz
    right now as an experiment, and geez, why would you want this for a desktop
    resolution? This is microscopic! I can barely see what I am typing here!
    Maybe for gaming purposes, yes...but even then you would want to wait a
    while for a grunty cpu/ vidcard to be released that will allow a
    stutter-free game. Eeeeeeeew, I'm going to put it back to default settings
    now. This 1920x1440 sucks - it's worse than 1024x768 on my old 14'' (can
    there be any worse hell for one's eyes) :))

    (**changes display resolution**)

    Ahhhh that's better. For those of you looking to upgrade to larger monitors,
    19'' provides good value for money at the moment. You can get a 17'' for
    $250, a 19'' for $350, then for a 21'' the price suddenly skyrockets to
    about $1450. Weird. And if you want LCD, well they are far too overpriced
    for the value they provide. Especially with regards to gaming and digital
    entertainment. [GUSHING AND COOING=ON]Which reminds me, GTA Vice City looks
    very nice at high res too....far superior to its PlayStation2 counterpart.
    Ahhh the joys of a new monitor, enjoying games in their splendour :)
    [GUSHING AND COOING=OFF]
    k y l e, Aug 22, 2003
  6. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Thanks for the replys, I didn't realise that the IBM monitor existed and I
    will quite possibly be getting that one, as soon as I can afford it of
    course.
    Dave, Aug 25, 2003