    works?

    Thanks

    -tom

    tom, Mar 14, 2006

  2. In article <>,
    tom <> wrote:
    >I received a phishing scam email recently. No news there, but one
    >thing that caught me off guard was the URL given in the email:
    >http://3289355434:82/webscr/index.php

    >I am not sure I understand how the domain 3289355434 can resolve to an
    >IP, but it does.

    >There is no TLD in that domain - could someone explain to me how that
    >works?

    This isn't anything to do with Cisco...

    To answer your question:

    3289355434 is an IP *address*. The valid IPv4 address formats
    include more than just the dotted-quad that you are accustomed to
    seeing. 3289355434 should be interpreted as a 32-bit integer whose
    bytes (most significant first) are the usual bytes you would see
    in the dotted quad.

    For example, 3289355434 is hex 0xC40F94AA which is
    0xC4 0x0F 0x94 0xAA which is 196 15 148 170 in decimal, which
    you would normally see as the dotted quad 196.15.148.170 .

    Walter Roberson, Mar 14, 2006