    The question is: is there any digital editing software that will actually
    undo convexity (e.g., a fun-house mirror process that will actually
    normalize a fun-house mirror image?). The Gimp?

    Douglas W. Hoyt, Nov 26, 2004

  2. Douglas W. Hoyt

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <qzIpd.353$>,
    "Douglas W. Hoyt" <> wrote:

    > I'm scanning some old slides and endpieces of slides in my LS-5000, and some
    > of them are stiff and must have been affected by temperature, because they
    > are convex (curved upward) and there is no way I can flatten them for
    > scanning. The objects and peope in them come out looking unusually thin
    > (and warped--and no, the people weren't warped to being with!).
    >
    > The question is: is there any digital editing software that will actually
    > undo convexity (e.g., a fun-house mirror process that will actually
    > normalize a fun-house mirror image?). The Gimp?

    Can your scanner handle glass mounted slides? If so put them in Gepe
    glass mounts. Gepe makes mounts with various openings so any slides you
    have from 8x11mm Minox to 6x7cm will work (providing your scanner can
    handle medium format sizes. Otherwise the range would be 8x11 Minox to
    40x40mm super slide.

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

    Bob Salomon, Nov 26, 2004

  3. >>>>> Can your scanner handle glass mounted slides? If so put them in Gepe

    That's a terrific suggestion--thank you! I'll just have to go digging in
    the slush pile for the bent ones (once they're scanned and backed up I'm not
    tending them too much, because the colors are going too).

    Douglas W. Hoyt, Nov 27, 2004
  4. "Douglas W. Hoyt" <> wrote in message

    > That's a terrific suggestion--thank you! I'll just have to go digging in
    > the slush pile for the bent ones (once they're scanned and backed up I'm
    > not tending them too much, because the colors are going too).

    Paint Shop Pro (free trial from www.jasc.com) has a fade correction applet.
    It will also correct the geometric problems you have. But taking the slides
    out of their frames and flattening them is better.

    Marvin Margoshes, Nov 28, 2004
  5. Douglas W. Hoyt

    Paul H. Guest

    > I'm scanning some old slides and endpieces of slides in my LS-5000, and

    some
    > of them are stiff and must have been affected by temperature, because they
    > are convex (curved upward) and there is no way I can flatten them for
    > scanning. The objects and peope in them come out looking unusually thin
    > (and warped--and no, the people weren't warped to being with!).
    >
    > The question is: is there any digital editing software that will actually
    > undo convexity (e.g., a fun-house mirror process that will actually
    > normalize a fun-house mirror image?). The Gimp?

    If you use Photoshop Elements, CS, etc., you might want to install Panorama
    Tools, set of freeware PS/Gimp plug-ins available around the net (see
    http://www.path.unimelb.edu.au/~dersch/ , for example). One of the plug-ins
    included with these tools is prosaically named "Correct" and is used remove
    just the sort of distortion you're talking about.

    "Correct" is a little tricky to use at first, but it's very powerful.

    Paul H., Dec 4, 2004
  6. Douglas W. Hoyt

    Tony Guest

    Try remounting them in a glass mount with only one sheet of the glass in
    place (put it above the so it is not between the film and the light, and put
    the convex side toward it. You might get moires but then again, you might
    not. I did this with a couple dozen slides I couldn't flatten with new
    mounts and they scanned jes'fine. No guarantees but it isn't expensive -
    re-uses the same mount over and over.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto