Bizarre MS Word problem

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Bruce Sinclair, Apr 27, 2005.

  1. In article <Xns9645B4352AA28daveytaynospamplshot@203.97.37.6>, Dave Taylor <> wrote:
    > wrote in news:1114577250.668847.50300
    >@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:
    >
    >> I have a client running Word 2000 on Windows 98 SE. Default paper size
    >> is set to A4. When they open an existing document from their file
    >> server that was saved in A4 size, it opens in Letter format. If they
    >> close the document and open it a second time it opens in A4 format as
    >> it's supposed to. I've tried replacing normal.dot and reinstalling the
    >> default printer driver, but haven't got to the bottom of it. Any ideas?
    >>

    >Cleaned out ALL the temp folder contents?
    >Deleted ALL the workstation Normal.dots and recreated from scratch. Some
    >machines have multiple normals.

    Oh yes ... particularly if the machine is networked. I traced a problem
    similar to this back to one of 3 template directories :)
    Search for *.dot ... should show you where it can get them from.

    Bruce

    -------------------------------------
    - George Bernard Shaw
    - Ambrose Bierce

    (if there were any)

  3. Bruce Sinclair

    Dave Taylor Guest

    wrote in news:1114577250.668847.50300
    @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

    > I have a client running Word 2000 on Windows 98 SE. Default paper size
    > is set to A4. When they open an existing document from their file
    > server that was saved in A4 size, it opens in Letter format. If they
    > close the document and open it a second time it opens in A4 format as
    > it's supposed to. I've tried replacing normal.dot and reinstalling the
    > default printer driver, but haven't got to the bottom of it. Any ideas?

    Cleaned out ALL the temp folder contents?
    Deleted ALL the workstation Normal.dots and recreated from scratch. Some
    machines have multiple normals. WOrd 2K has service packs, are they
    applied?

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Apr 27, 2005
  4. Bruce Sinclair

    Enkidu Guest

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <Xns9645B4352AA28daveytaynospamplshot@203.97.37.6>, Dave Taylor <> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote in news:1114577250.668847.50300
    >>@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:
    >>

    >>>I have a client running Word 2000 on Windows 98 SE. Default paper size
    >>>is set to A4. When they open an existing document from their file
    >>>server that was saved in A4 size, it opens in Letter format. If they
    >>>close the document and open it a second time it opens in A4 format as
    >>>it's supposed to. I've tried replacing normal.dot and reinstalling the
    >>>default printer driver, but haven't got to the bottom of it. Any ideas?
    >>>

    >>Cleaned out ALL the temp folder contents?
    >>Deleted ALL the workstation Normal.dots and recreated from scratch. Some
    >>machines have multiple normals.

    > Oh yes ... particularly if the machine is networked. I traced a problem
    > similar to this back to one of 3 template directories :)
    > Search for *.dot ... should show you where it can get them from.

    I found nine on my machine before I stopped the search....

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Apr 27, 2005
  5. In article <426f75f1$>, wrote:
    >Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >> In article <Xns9645B4352AA28daveytaynospamplshot@203.97.37.6>, Dave Taylor

    > <> wrote:
    >>> wrote in news:1114577250.668847.50300
    >>>@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

    >>>Cleaned out ALL the temp folder contents?
    >>>Deleted ALL the workstation Normal.dots and recreated from scratch. Some
    >>>machines have multiple normals.

    >> Oh yes ... particularly if the machine is networked. I traced a problem
    >> similar to this back to one of 3 template directories :)
    >> Search for *.dot ... should show you where it can get them from.
    >>

    >I found nine on my machine before I stopped the search....

    That must be some kind of record ... any advance on 9 ? :)

    Bruce

    -------------------------------------
    - George Bernard Shaw
    - Ambrose Bierce

    (if there were any)
    Bruce Sinclair, Apr 27, 2005
  6. Bruce Sinclair

    gingernutz Guest

    "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > wrote in news:1114577250.668847.50300
    > @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:
    >
    >> I have a client running Word 2000 on Windows 98 SE. Default paper size
    >> is set to A4. When they open an existing document from their file
    >> server that was saved in A4 size, it opens in Letter format. If they
    >> close the document and open it a second time it opens in A4 format as
    >> it's supposed to. I've tried replacing normal.dot and reinstalling the
    >> default printer driver, but haven't got to the bottom of it. Any ideas?
    >>

    > Cleaned out ALL the temp folder contents?
    > Deleted ALL the workstation Normal.dots and recreated from scratch. Some
    > machines have multiple normals. WOrd 2K has service packs, are they
    > applied?
    >

    > --
    > Ciao, Dave

    Search for hidden files too.
    Deleting all normal.dot files will create a new one with default settings of
    A4 etc
    gingernutz, Apr 28, 2005
  7. In article <>, wrote:
    >An update: There was only one normal.dot file. I don't think normal.dot
    >was the cause of the problem though. As I said, the issue was opening
    >an existing document that had been saved in A4 format - the first time
    >the file was opened it would open in Letter format, which screwed up
    >the page formatting. If you closed the file and immediately re-opened
    >it it would open in A4. Weird! Anyway, a complete uninstall and
    >reinstall of Office fixed it.

    <sigh> ... pity really ... you'd think there would be a better way :)

    Bruce

    -------------------------------------
    - George Bernard Shaw
    - Ambrose Bierce

    (if there were any)

  9. wrote:
    > An update: There was only one normal.dot file. I don't think normal.dot
    > was the cause of the problem though. As I said, the issue was opening
    > an existing document that had been saved in A4 format - the first time
    > the file was opened it would open in Letter format, which screwed up
    > the page formatting. If you closed the file and immediately re-opened
    > it it would open in A4. Weird! Anyway, a complete uninstall and
    > reinstall of Office fixed it.

    heh, seem to have missed this thread...
    sometimes we get this at work when we change printer drivers on the
    server, and the client seems to pick some of the driver up, but not all,
    and somehow screws up document formatting.

    a removal of all the printer drivers locally(stop/re-start the spooler
    service, go into printers, right click, server properties, driver tab,
    highlight, remove all, close) and re-add
    \\print_server_name\printer_share_name and all is hunky dory again...

    hmm, dory...
    fish for lunch might be nice.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 28, 2005
  10. Bruce Sinclair

    Enkidu Guest

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <426f75f1$>, wrote:
    >
    >>Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    >>>Oh yes ... particularly if the machine is networked. I traced a problem
    >>>similar to this back to one of 3 template directories :)
    >>>Search for *.dot ... should show you where it can get them from.
    >>>

    >>I found nine on my machine before I stopped the search....

    > That must be some kind of record ... any advance on 9 ? :)

    I suspect that it is no where near a record!

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Apr 28, 2005
  11. Bruce Sinclair

    Jay Guest

    "Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    in message news:pUTbe.1857$...
    > In article <426f75f1$>,
    > wrote:
    >>Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >>> In article <Xns9645B4352AA28daveytaynospamplshot@203.97.37.6>, Dave
    >>> Taylor

    >>> Oh yes ... particularly if the machine is networked. I traced a problem
    >>> similar to this back to one of 3 template directories :)
    >>> Search for *.dot ... should show you where it can get them from.
    >>>

    >>I found nine on my machine before I stopped the search....

    > That must be some kind of record ... any advance on 9 ? :)
    >
    > Bruce

    I got 34 *.dot and not one of them normal!
    Does Word 2003 do it different?

    Jay
    Jay, May 2, 2005
  12. Bruce Sinclair

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Jay" <> wrote in

    >>>I found nine on my machine before I stopped the search....

    >> That must be some kind of record ... any advance on 9 ? :)
    >>
    >> Bruce

    > I got 34 *.dot and not one of them normal!
    > Does Word 2003 do it different?
    >
    > Jay

    It is a hidden and possibly system file. Enable the advanced search
    features to include hidden if you haven't.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, May 4, 2005