    Ta muchly.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Sep 8, 2004

  2. ~misfit~

    theseus Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > I downloaded and installed BitTorrent 3.3 on an XP Pro sp1 machine
    > with the MS firewall activated last night. I'm after a copy of the
    > ISO of a game that is in the public domain, 'Betrayal at Krondor',
    > and the only place I can find to download it requires BitTorrent. I
    > fired it up and left it running last night, even though it was giving
    > me an error message (it was late).
    >
    > Anyway, it's telling me: "Problem connecting to tracker - <urlopen
    > error (100065, no route to host)>".
    >
    > Can anyone help? I couldn't find that error listed in the BitTorrent
    > FAQs.
    >
    > Ta muchly.

    I don't know how to get round the error, I think its a bittorrent 404
    But I have found a great client called Azureus
    http://azureus.sourceforge.net/

    theseus, Sep 8, 2004

  3. ~misfit~

    Brendan Guest

    On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 09:56:13 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > I'm after a copy of the ISO of a game that is in the public domain,
    > 'Betrayal at Krondor', and the only place I can find to download it
    > requires BitTorrent.

    It's available on eMule (no Spyware).

    --

    .... Brendan

    "First things first, but not necessarily in that order." -- The Doctor

    Note: All my comments are copyright 9/09/2004 12:08:29 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Sep 9, 2004
  4. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Brendan wrote:
    > On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 09:56:13 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> I'm after a copy of the ISO of a game that is in the public domain,
    >> 'Betrayal at Krondor', and the only place I can find to download it
    >> requires BitTorrent.

    > It's available on eMule (no Spyware).

    Everybody's been talking about eMule, I might try installing it. Thanks.

    BTW, is that the CD ISO or the 10-odd MB version?
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Sep 9, 2004
  5. ~misfit~

    bAZZ Guest

    In article <slL%c.2764$>, says...
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > > I downloaded and installed BitTorrent 3.3 on an XP Pro sp1 machine
    > > with the MS firewall activated last night. I'm after a copy of the
    > > ISO of a game that is in the public domain, 'Betrayal at Krondor',
    > > and the only place I can find to download it requires BitTorrent. I
    > > fired it up and left it running last night, even though it was giving
    > > me an error message (it was late).
    > >
    > > Anyway, it's telling me: "Problem connecting to tracker - <urlopen
    > > error (100065, no route to host)>".
    > >
    > > Can anyone help? I couldn't find that error listed in the BitTorrent
    > > FAQs.
    > >
    > > Ta muchly.

    > I don't know how to get round the error, I think its a bittorrent 404
    > But I have found a great client called Azureus
    > http://azureus.sourceforge.net/

    I would recommend that client too. DAmn good. Sorry can't help with the
    error message tho. WOuld add tho that since using bit torrent I have
    never once had a problem with it since using azureus. First week was up
    and down and tried a few clients. Since then tho it has been great.

    bAZZ

    bAZZ, Sep 9, 2004
  6. ~misfit~

    Brendan Guest

    On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 12:59:04 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Everybody's been talking about eMule, I might try installing it. Thanks.
    >
    > BTW, is that the CD ISO or the 10-odd MB version?

    They had files from 650meg odd down to a few k's. E.g. both :)

    www.emule-project.net

    --

    .... Brendan

    "Washington [D.C.] is a city of Southern efficiency and Northern charm." -- John F. Kennedy

    Note: All my comments are copyright 9/09/2004 3:58:34 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Sep 9, 2004
  7. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Brendan wrote:
    > On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 12:59:04 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> Everybody's been talking about eMule, I might try installing it.
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> BTW, is that the CD ISO or the 10-odd MB version?

    > They had files from 650meg odd down to a few k's. E.g. both :)
    >
    > www.emule-project.net

    Thanks, I've downloaded it and I'll install it and try it tonight.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Sep 9, 2004
  8. ~misfit~

    Brendan Guest

    On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 16:14:46 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    >> www.emule-project.net

    > Thanks, I've downloaded it and I'll install it and try it tonight.

    I think you will like it.

    --

    .... Brendan

    The map is not the territory, but you can't fold up the territory and put it in your glove compartment.

    Note: All my comments are copyright 9/09/2004 4:17:52 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Sep 9, 2004
  9. ~misfit~

    Ann Other Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > I'm after a copy of the ISO of a game that
    > is in the public domain, 'Betrayal at Krondor', and the only place I can
    > find to download it requires BitTorrent.

    Non-torrent download at

    http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=116

    Ann Other, Sep 9, 2004
  10. ~misfit~

    cowboyz Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > I downloaded and installed BitTorrent 3.3 on an XP Pro sp1 machine
    > with the MS firewall activated last night. I'm after a copy of the
    > ISO of a game that is in the public domain, 'Betrayal at Krondor',
    > and the only place I can find to download it requires BitTorrent. I
    > fired it up and left it running last night, even though it was giving
    > me an error message (it was late).
    >
    > Anyway, it's telling me: "Problem connecting to tracker - <urlopen
    > error (100065, no route to host)>".
    >
    > Can anyone help? I couldn't find that error listed in the BitTorrent
    > FAQs.
    >
    > Ta muchly.

    I downloaded this Azureus. Found a 800MB file I wouldn't mind and started
    downloading it but it is up to 65.8MB downloaded (11.9MB discarded) and
    13.2MB Uploaded.

    What is the 11.9MB discarded and what am I uploading?

    Do you know?

    cowboyz, Sep 9, 2004
  11. ~misfit~

    Guest

    On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 18:29:03 +1200, cowboyz wrote:

    > What is the 11.9MB discarded and what am I uploading?

    Dunno what the discarded bit is. My guess is that it contains bits which
    didn't checksum correctly.

    As for the upload figure, that is you helping other people who are wanting
    the same stuff you're downloading. That's what the bit torrent is all
    about - sharing files.

    Divine

    --
    "Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
    become Shorthorn."

    , Sep 9, 2004
  12. ~misfit~

    cowboyz Guest

    wrote:
    > On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 18:29:03 +1200, cowboyz wrote:
    >
    >> What is the 11.9MB discarded and what am I uploading?

    > Dunno what the discarded bit is. My guess is that it contains bits
    > which didn't checksum correctly.
    >
    > As for the upload figure, that is you helping other people who are
    > wanting the same stuff you're downloading. That's what the bit
    > torrent is all about - sharing files.
    >

    > Divine

    Yeah, I got it now. I was a little perplexed because I haven't actually
    downloaded anything (in full) yet. But of course, thats not how bit torrent
    works. Quite a good system really.

    cowboyz, Sep 9, 2004
  13. ~misfit~

    Guest

    On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 19:31:48 +1200, cowboyz wrote:

    > Quite a good system really.

    Agreed. :eek:)

    Divine

    --
    "Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
    become Shorthorn."

    , Sep 9, 2004
  14. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Ann Other wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> I'm after a copy of the ISO of a game that
    >> is in the public domain, 'Betrayal at Krondor', and the only place I
    >> can find to download it requires BitTorrent.

    > Non-torrent download at
    >
    > http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=116

    Arrrghhhh! Thanks for the link but I've just spent over a half-hour trying
    to get it through that link and I keep getting 'error'.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Sep 9, 2004
  15. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    bAZZ wrote:
    > In article <slL%c.2764$>, says...
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>> I downloaded and installed BitTorrent 3.3 on an XP Pro sp1 machine
    >>> with the MS firewall activated last night. I'm after a copy of the
    >>> ISO of a game that is in the public domain, 'Betrayal at Krondor',
    >>> and the only place I can find to download it requires BitTorrent. I
    >>> fired it up and left it running last night, even though it was
    >>> giving me an error message (it was late).
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, it's telling me: "Problem connecting to tracker - <urlopen
    >>> error (100065, no route to host)>".
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone help? I couldn't find that error listed in the BitTorrent
    >>> FAQs.
    >>>
    >>> Ta muchly.

    >> I don't know how to get round the error, I think its a bittorrent 404
    >> But I have found a great client called Azureus
    >> http://azureus.sourceforge.net/
    >>

    > I would recommend that client too. DAmn good. Sorry can't help with
    > the error message tho. WOuld add tho that since using bit torrent I
    > have never once had a problem with it since using azureus. First week
    > was up and down and tried a few clients. Since then tho it has been
    > great.

    OK, getting that at the moment. Thanks guys.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Sep 9, 2004
  16. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    cowboyz wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 18:29:03 +1200, cowboyz wrote:
    >>
    >>> What is the 11.9MB discarded and what am I uploading?

    >> Dunno what the discarded bit is. My guess is that it contains bits
    >> which didn't checksum correctly.
    >>
    >> As for the upload figure, that is you helping other people who are
    >> wanting the same stuff you're downloading. That's what the bit
    >> torrent is all about - sharing files.
    >>

    >> Divine

    > Yeah, I got it now. I was a little perplexed because I haven't
    > actually downloaded anything (in full) yet. But of course, thats not
    > how bit torrent works. Quite a good system really.

    It did seem a bit of a strange concept to me at first too. Seems popular
    enough so it must work alright.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Sep 9, 2004
  17. ~misfit~

    El Penguino Guest

    On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 19:11:17 +1200, ""
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 18:29:03 +1200, cowboyz wrote:
    >
    >> What is the 11.9MB discarded and what am I uploading?

    >Dunno what the discarded bit is. My guess is that it contains bits which
    >didn't checksum correctly.

    I think the discarded data occurs when you have downloaded a partial
    block of data from someone. If they go off line, the client abandons
    that partial download of the block and starts it afresh from another
    user. Seems to happen more at lower speeds.

    El P.

    El Penguino, Sep 9, 2004
  18. ~misfit~

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 14:42:39 +1200, bAZZ <> wrote:

    >In article <slL%c.2764$>, says...
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> > I downloaded and installed BitTorrent 3.3 on an XP Pro sp1 machine
    >> > with the MS firewall activated last night. I'm after a copy of the
    >> > ISO of a game that is in the public domain, 'Betrayal at Krondor',
    >> > and the only place I can find to download it requires BitTorrent. I
    >> > fired it up and left it running last night, even though it was giving
    >> > me an error message (it was late).
    >> >
    >> > Anyway, it's telling me: "Problem connecting to tracker - <urlopen
    >> > error (100065, no route to host)>".
    >> >
    >> > Can anyone help? I couldn't find that error listed in the BitTorrent
    >> > FAQs.
    >> >
    >> > Ta muchly.

    >> I don't know how to get round the error, I think its a bittorrent 404
    >> But I have found a great client called Azureus
    >> http://azureus.sourceforge.net/
    >>

    >I would recommend that client too. DAmn good. Sorry can't help with the
    >error message tho. WOuld add tho that since using bit torrent I have
    >never once had a problem with it since using azureus. First week was up
    >and down and tried a few clients. Since then tho it has been great.

    I tried Azureus, then moved on to ABC. I found that better.

    I haven't used either in quite a while so perhaps Azureus has improved.

    http://pingpong-abc.sourceforge.net/

    Downloads here

    Craig Shore, Sep 13, 2004