    questions that I have regarding its use?

    Thanks
    Brian Tozer

    Brian Tozer, Oct 28, 2003

  2. Brian Tozer

    Allistar Guest

    Brian Tozer wrote:

    > Is there anyone here using BitTorrent and who can answer a couple of basic
    > questions that I have regarding its use?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Brian Tozer

    Hi Brian,
    I use it quite a bit, but only on Linux. I'd imagine the Windows version
    behaves similarly, so fire away with those questions.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Oct 28, 2003

  3. Brian Tozer

    Brian Tozer Guest

    "Allistar" wrote ...
    > Brian Tozer wrote:

    > > Is there anyone here using BitTorrent and who can answer a couple of

    basic
    > > questions that I have regarding its use?

    > Hi Brian,
    > I use it quite a bit, but only on Linux. I'd imagine the Windows version
    > behaves similarly, so fire away with those questions.

    Thanks Allistar.
    I will summarise my situation so we can check basics.
    I have it installed under XP.
    There is no entry in Start | Programs.
    I went to the installed folder and created a shortcut to the desktop for the
    only .exe file there.
    If I try to download a file that has the .exe.torrent extension a small and
    very basic dialogue box is launched that displays the download status.
    As I was wanting to use it to download a 182 meg file over dialup I was
    concerned about resume behaviour with the inevitable disconnection and
    reconnection from the ISP.
    So I let it download about 4 megs of the file, as displayed in Windows
    Explorer looking at the destination folder.
    I dissed and reconnected from my ISP.
    It did not automatically resume.
    Starting again from the source site seemed to initiate a new download from
    the beginning but the file size did not change.
    At this point I aborted and decided to do some homework.
    Hence my query here.
    I can see no way to configure anything in the program.
    Comments so far.............????

    Thanks
    Brian.

    Brian Tozer, Oct 29, 2003
  4. Brian Tozer

    Tim Guest

    just keep track of those torrent files for when you want to resume an
    unfinished download. the default download directory is in your browsers temp
    folder. Just copy all of the torrent files into a directory on the desktop
    for example and then u can easily double click on a file to restart it if
    for example u got disconnected, had to reboot, or found the speed was very
    slow. This method will prevent you having to find and download the torrent
    again ;)

    Tim, Oct 29, 2003
  5. Brian Tozer

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Tim" <> wrote in message
    > just keep track of those torrent files for when you want to resume an
    > unfinished download. the default download directory is in your browsers

    temp
    > folder. Just copy all of the torrent files into a directory on the desktop
    > for example and then u can easily double click on a file to restart it if
    > for example u got disconnected, had to reboot, or found the speed was very
    > slow. This method will prevent you having to find and download the torrent
    > again ;)

    Use the experimental client its got a few more features..including setting
    the folder to download to.
    Resumes fine.

    Craig Sutton, Oct 29, 2003
  6. Brian Tozer

    Brian Tozer Guest

    "Tim" wrote ..
    > just keep track of those torrent files for when you want to resume an
    > unfinished download. the default download directory is in your browsers

    temp
    > folder. Just copy all of the torrent files into a directory on the desktop
    > for example and then u can easily double click on a file to restart it if
    > for example u got disconnected, had to reboot, or found the speed was very
    > slow. This method will prevent you having to find and download the torrent
    > again ;)

    Hi Tim.
    I am very interested in your contribution but wonder if you could enlarge on
    what you have written as I am unclear on exactly what you are saying.
    Or if you could point me to a web page that covers it in more detail.
    The main tutorial site seems to be no longer on-line.

    Thanks
    Brian.

    Brian Tozer, Oct 29, 2003
  7. Brian Tozer

    Tim Guest

    > Use the experimental client its got a few more features..including setting
    > the folder to download to.
    > Resumes fine.

    hey craig, does that experimental client also have bandwidth limiting?

    Tim, Oct 29, 2003
  8. Brian Tozer

    Tim Guest

    hi Brian,

    Sorry if wasn't completely clear, i'm a geek what can i say? what part are
    you confused about?

    heres some faq's...

    http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/FAQ.html
    http://www.filesoup.com/faq1.html
    http://smiler.no-ip.org/BT/BTtutorial.htm

    maybe they'll help. maybe not...

    You have to manually restart downloads. Either that happens because you
    logged off/shutdown your computer or you got disconnected from the Internet.
    Actually it should keep trying to connect when you reconnect to the Internet
    but not sure if that is the case or not. Either way, sometimes you just have
    to restart your torrents, hence my suggestions in the previous post.

    if your still confused gimmie your specific questions and i'll do my best.
    or someone else will :)

    Tim, Oct 29, 2003
  9. Brian Tozer

    Allistar Guest

    Brian Tozer wrote:

    > "Tim" wrote ..
    >> just keep track of those torrent files for when you want to resume an
    >> unfinished download. the default download directory is in your browsers

    > temp
    >> folder. Just copy all of the torrent files into a directory on the
    >> desktop for example and then u can easily double click on a file to
    >> restart it if for example u got disconnected, had to reboot, or found the
    >> speed was very slow. This method will prevent you having to find and
    >> download the torrent again ;)

    > Hi Tim.
    > I am very interested in your contribution but wonder if you could enlarge
    > on what you have written as I am unclear on exactly what you are saying.
    > Or if you could point me to a web page that covers it in more detail.
    > The main tutorial site seems to be no longer on-line.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Brian.

    When you see a .torrent link on a websire instead of left clicking on it and
    having the BitTorrent software load automatically, you can right click and
    choose "save link target" or "save file as" or whatever your browser calls
    that option. Put the .torrent file somewhere handy, like iun a folder on
    your desktop or in you "My Documents" directory. Then using Windows
    Explorer you should be able to double click on that downloaded torrent file
    and it should fire up the BitTorrent software.

    It should automatically resume a download (that is inherent in the system).
    I am forever stopping and starting my downloads.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Oct 29, 2003
  10. Brian Tozer

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Tim" <> wrote in message
    > > Use the experimental client its got a few more features..including

    setting
    > > the folder to download to.
    > > Resumes fine.

    > hey craig, does that experimental client also have bandwidth limiting?

    yes settings for dialup, cable and other connections user settable I am on
    dialup upload is set to upload 1 @3k which gives a download usually of 2-5k
    depending on how many seeds there are

    Craig Sutton, Oct 29, 2003
  11. Brian Tozer

    Tim Guest

    > When you see a .torrent link on a websire instead of left clicking on it
    and
    > having the BitTorrent software load automatically, you can right click and
    > choose "save link target" or "save file as" or whatever your browser calls
    > that option. Put the .torrent file somewhere handy, like iun a folder on
    > your desktop or in you "My Documents" directory. Then using Windows
    > Explorer you should be able to double click on that downloaded torrent

    file
    > and it should fire up the BitTorrent software.
    >
    > It should automatically resume a download (that is inherent in the

    system).
    > I am forever stopping and starting my downloads.
    >
    > Allistar.

    yup that is even easier Allistar :)

    Tim, Oct 29, 2003
  12. Brian Tozer

    Tim Guest

    actually i think the reason why I was doing it this way was because I was
    frequently downloading alot of torrents and not all of them were working so
    it was a bit of a hassle to remember to 'right click save as'...

    Tim, Oct 29, 2003
  13. Brian Tozer

    Brendan Guest

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 07:46:53 +1300, "Brian Tozer"
    <> wrote:

    >Is there anyone here using BitTorrent and who can answer a couple of basic
    >questions that I have regarding its use?

    I've fiddled with it a few days worth.

    ....Brendan

    Brendan, Oct 29, 2003
  14. Brian Tozer

    Brian Tozer Guest

    "Brendan" wrote
    > On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 07:46:53 +1300, "Brian Tozer"
    > <> wrote:

    > >Is there anyone here using BitTorrent and who can answer a couple of

    basic
    > >questions that I have regarding its use?

    > I've fiddled with it a few days worth.

    Am I right in thinking that BitTorrent is just one of several applications
    that can be used for handling .torrent types of files?
    Can anyone recommend any one over the others?
    Where would the latest version 1.9 of Shareaza fit into the mix?

    I guess that I am trying to get a feel for what the torrent concept has to
    offer in practical terms.

    Brian Tozer

    Brian Tozer, Oct 29, 2003
  15. Brian Tozer

    Allistar Guest

    Brian Tozer wrote:

    > "Brendan" wrote
    >> On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 07:46:53 +1300, "Brian Tozer"
    >> <> wrote:

    >> >Is there anyone here using BitTorrent and who can answer a couple of

    > basic
    >> >questions that I have regarding its use?

    >> I've fiddled with it a few days worth.

    > Am I right in thinking that BitTorrent is just one of several applications
    > that can be used for handling .torrent types of files?
    > Can anyone recommend any one over the others?
    > Where would the latest version 1.9 of Shareaza fit into the mix?

    From what I iknow only BitTorrent can handle .torrent files (but there are
    different versions of the BitTorrent software).

    > I guess that I am trying to get a feel for what the torrent concept has to
    > offer in practical terms.

    In pratical terms it offers a way for a large number of people to download a
    large file (or files) without greatly impacting the server the original
    file(s) are on. Each downloader also becomes an uploader.

    The drae back I notice is that downloading a 1Gb file can use up 2Gb of my
    10Gb cap (because not only am I downloading it, I am also uploading it to
    others).

    > Brian Tozer

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Oct 29, 2003
  16. Brian Tozer

    Brendan Guest

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 04:30:37 +1300, "Brian Tozer"
    <> wrote:

    >Am I right in thinking that BitTorrent is just one of several applications
    >that can be used for handling .torrent types of files?

    Yes. And some are better than others.

    >Can anyone recommend any one over the others?

    There is an experimental one to try that is ok.

    check out http://www.slyck.com/

    >Where would the latest version 1.9 of Shareaza fit into the mix?

    It does multiple networks.

    >I guess that I am trying to get a feel for what the torrent concept has to
    >offer in practical terms.

    Kazaa Lite is worth a look.

    Just watch out for Witchfinder Generals from the RIAA Inquisition and
    their sychophants in the news groups.

    ....Brendan

    Brendan, Oct 30, 2003