bittorrent proto (ping lawrence)

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Shane, Oct 19, 2005.

  1. Shane

    Shane Guest

    Ive posted this in another thread... but it attracted our friendly
    redbaiter flames.. so am reposting

    Ive spent the afternoon researching this protocol (as I had the view to
    put together my own client) and I remembered this thread,
    http://p2pnet.net/story/5172
    The strategy proposed by BitTorrent is named “tit-for-tatâ€, meaning
    that a client will preferably cooperate with the peers cooperating with
    him. Practically, this means that each client measures how fast it can
    download from each peer and, in turn, will serve those from whom it has
    the better download rates. This strategy is implemented for all but one
    slot which is attributed to an interested client, regardless of its upload
    rate. This so-called “optimistic unchoking†allows for the discovery
    of better peers than those currently selected (i.e. those with higher
    upload rates).

    Shane, Oct 19, 2005