    Ferg Guest

    Has anyone else had a big drop in D/L speed?

    Ferg
    Ferg, Aug 14, 2004

  2. Ferg wrote:
    > Has anyone else had a big drop in D/L speed?

    errr, nope.
    downloading what?

    which ISP?
    what type of connection?
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 15, 2004

  3. Ferg

    Ferg Guest

    Hmmm. I suppose I was a bit vague... :)

    IHUG
    256 Kb ADSL
    Downloading Stargate episodes.

    Ferg

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <Dave@_no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> wrote in
    message news:...

    Ferg, Aug 15, 2004
  4. Ferg wrote:
    >>>Has anyone else had a big drop in D/L speed?

    >>errr, nope.
    >>downloading what?
    >>which ISP?
    >>what type of connection?

    > Hmmm. I suppose I was a bit vague... :)
    > IHUG
    > 256 Kb ADSL
    > Downloading Stargate episodes.

    ummm, well, with bittorrent your d/l speed is usually governed by how
    many users have portions of that file available, so maybe there are just
    not as many users with that file as there used to be.

    Does BT use a static port?
    Maybe Ihug have rate limited you.
    Are you using a heap of traffic(compared to "normal" users)?
    Maybe Ihug have put you into a group of rate limited IP's.(I know of two
    ISPs that do this, well, used to do this with 128k and dialup customers
    who abused the connection)
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 15, 2004
  5. "Ferg" <> wrote in message
    > Hmmm. I suppose I was a bit vague... :)
    >
    > IHUG
    > 256 Kb ADSL
    > Downloading Stargate episodes.

    You are looking for people to publically admit that they have been
    downloading pirated episodes of a television show? Or is it the case that
    they are available for download legally now?

    Andrew
    Andrew Bryson, Aug 15, 2004
  6. Ferg

    Ferg Guest

    I think people could legitimately respond to my post by talking about their
    experience of downloading Linux distributions...

    Ferg

    Ferg, Aug 15, 2004
  7. Ferg

    Tim Guest

    "Andrew Bryson" <> wrote in news:3lCTc.3273$zS6.390258
    @news02.tsnz.net:

    > "Ferg" <> wrote in message
    >> Hmmm. I suppose I was a bit vague... :)
    >>
    >> IHUG
    >> 256 Kb ADSL
    >> Downloading Stargate episodes.

    > You are looking for people to publically admit that they have been
    > downloading pirated episodes of a television show? Or is it the case that
    > they are available for download legally now?
    >
    > Andrew

    Nope, that isn't the case - in fact, I just heard yesterday about how MGM
    have started writing nastygrams to NZ ISPs about people downloading their
    programs from BT (this was a different show - Dead Like Me, but I expect
    they are probably doing it for Stargate too).

    --
    Tim
    - <insert witty signature here>
    Tim, Aug 15, 2004
  8. Ferg

    samg Guest

    > Maybe Ihug have put you into a group of rate limited IP's.(I know of two
    > ISPs that do this, well, used to do this with 128k and dialup customers
    > who abused the connection)

    heh how the fek can you abuse a dialup connection? Unless unlimited doesnt
    mean unlimited, once again.
    samg, Aug 15, 2004
  9. samg wrote:
    >>Maybe Ihug have put you into a group of rate limited IP's.(I know of two
    >>ISPs that do this, well, used to do this with 128k and dialup customers
    >>who abused the connection)

    > heh how the fek can you abuse a dialup connection? Unless unlimited doesnt
    > mean unlimited, once again.

    yep, unlimited doesnt mean unlimited, no real point in going into it
    again, but you know what I mean with it, staying connected 24/7,
    treating it as a leased line, that sort of thing.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 16, 2004
  10. In article <Xns954768B1BEDBDsamg@203.97.37.6> in nz.comp on 16 Aug 2004
    10:18:33 +1200, samg <> says...
    > > Maybe Ihug have put you into a group of rate limited IP's.(I know of two
    > > ISPs that do this, well, used to do this with 128k and dialup customers
    > > who abused the connection)

    > heh how the fek can you abuse a dialup connection? Unless unlimited doesnt
    > mean unlimited, once again.

    It never did. NEarly all dialup ISPs limit people from staying connected
    24 hours a day.
    Patrick Dunford, Aug 16, 2004