    Is there any way to increase this speed? Is it a side-effect of my new
    status, and will it incease when I've downloaded more torrents to share with
    others? All suggestions appreciated.
    \\o/ *Arms Up* \\o/, Nov 23, 2003

  2. \\o/ *Arms Up* \\o/

    Forexample Guest

    You need to look for the highest amount of "seeds" (other users), that'll be
    next to the name of the file.
    "\o/ *Arms Up* \o/" <> wrote in message
    > I've only recently downloaded this p2p program, and am having difficulties
    > getting any decent speeds out of it. At present, I'm trying to download a
    > pretty large, popular video file but I'm only getting speeds of between

    0-2
    > KiB/s on broadband. It's constantly uploading at 10-12 KiB/s and

    accordingly
    > I've uploaded 4 times as much as I've downloaded. I understand that speed
    > can be capped if certain ports aren't forwarded, but given I'm uploading

    at
    > considerably higher speeds, surely this isn't slowing my downloads. Or

    could

    Forexample, Nov 23, 2003

  3. \o/ *Arms Up* \o/ wrote:

    > I've only recently downloaded this p2p program, and am having difficulties
    > getting any decent speeds out of it. At present, I'm trying to download a
    > pretty large, popular video file but I'm only getting speeds of between
    > 0-2 KiB/s on broadband. It's constantly uploading at 10-12 KiB/s and
    > accordingly I've uploaded 4 times as much as I've downloaded. I understand
    > that speed can be capped if certain ports aren't forwarded, but given I'm
    > uploading at considerably higher speeds, surely this isn't slowing my
    > downloads. Or could it?
    >
    > Is there any way to increase this speed? Is it a side-effect of my new
    > status, and will it incease when I've downloaded more torrents to share
    > with others? All suggestions appreciated.

    That is, unfortunately, about the norm for P2P connections--5K or 10K is
    really screaming. You're probably offering something relatively unique and
    keeping your connection level down so that you don't have many simultaneous
    uploads going at the same time. Unfortunately, most of the people who use
    P2P networks don't realize that; they think they can simultaneously upload
    to 5,406 people at the same time just because they have cable. Nuh-uh.

    You don't say which program you're using. WinMX and Lopster both support
    multisource downloads--that is, they'll simultaneously grab pieces of the
    same file from different servers if you get lucky enough to be able to
    connect to them; perhaps you need to change to them. Last I tried them,
    Lopster is I think the best of the two; last I heard WinMX has bad memory
    leaks (won't stay up without crashing both itself and your computer; if you
    want to download movies you MUST stay online at least a couple of days just
    to get to the bottom of queues) and I don't think it supports multisource
    on the OpenNap networks. But there may be a new version of WinMX out which
    is better....

    Oh, note to the RIAA: I don't share files anymore.

    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
    Gary G. Taylor, Nov 23, 2003
  4. \\o/ *Arms Up* \\o/

    prvt101 Guest

    "\\o/ *Arms Up* \\o/" <> wrote in message news:<3fc0152b$0$1749$>...
    > I've only recently downloaded this p2p program, and am having difficulties
    > getting any decent speeds out of it. At present, I'm trying to download a
    > pretty large, popular video file but I'm only getting speeds of between 0-2
    > KiB/s on broadband. It's constantly uploading at 10-12 KiB/s and accordingly
    > I've uploaded 4 times as much as I've downloaded. I understand that speed
    > can be capped if certain ports aren't forwarded, but given I'm uploading at
    > considerably higher speeds, surely this isn't slowing my downloads. Or could
    > it?
    >
    > Is there any way to increase this speed? Is it a side-effect of my new
    > status, and will it incease when I've downloaded more torrents to share with
    > others? All suggestions appreciated.

    If you're using the official client I suggest you dump it and use a
    client that will allow you to control the upload speed like Shadow's
    experimental client.

    http://www.torrentlinks.com/

    By limiting your upload speed to, let's say, 80% of your max, your
    download speed won't get strangled. Alternative clients also tell you
    how many seeds and leechers there are, thus telling you the number of
    sources you're downloading from.
    prvt101, Nov 23, 2003
  5. \\o/ *Arms Up* \\o/

    Alien Zord Guest

    "\o/ *Arms Up* \o/" <> wrote in message
    > I've only recently downloaded this p2p program, and am having difficulties
    > getting any decent speeds out of it. At present, I'm trying to download a
    > pretty large, popular video file but I'm only getting speeds of between

    0-2
    > KiB/s on broadband. It's constantly uploading at 10-12 KiB/s and

    accordingly
    > I've uploaded 4 times as much as I've downloaded. I understand that speed
    > can be capped if certain ports aren't forwarded, but given I'm uploading

    at
    > considerably higher speeds, surely this isn't slowing my downloads. Or

    could
    > it?
    >
    > Is there any way to increase this speed? Is it a side-effect of my new
    > status, and will it incease when I've downloaded more torrents to share

    with
    > others? All suggestions appreciated.

    Some answers here:
    http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/FAQ.html