    Hoogan $$$ Guest

    What's the meaning of 16 bits & 32 bits ?!!
    Thanks
    Hoogan $$$, May 25, 2006

  2. Hoogan $$$

    nos1eep Guest

    "Hoogan $$$" <>wrote :

    |What's the meaning of 16 bits & 32 bits ?!!
    |Thanks

    Generally these terms are used as adjectives to describe data units
    that are at the most 16 bits (2 octets) or 32 bits (4 octets).

    The above was taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/16-bit feel free
    to explore the link.
    nos1eep, May 25, 2006

  3. Hoogan $$$

    Chet Guest

    I presume you know what a bit is and are asking why processors are
    advertised as 16, 32, 64 bits.

    If a processor can access and process more data at a time the effective
    speed is increased. For example, the first PCs only worked on 8 bits (one
    byte) at a time so that even a simple function required many accesses to
    memory. The drawback, of course, is that accessing 4, 8 or 16 bytes (32, 64
    or 128 bits) at a time sometimes means that you are wasting space but those
    early computers only had 640KB or less and modern computers have
    approximately 1000 times as much so you can afford a little sloppiness.

    Chet, May 25, 2006
  4. Hoogan $$$

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    "Hoogan $$$" <> wrote in message
    > What's the meaning of 16 bits & 32 bits ?!!
    > Thanks

    In computing, a computer retrieves it instructions from a program
    which is held in memory (RAM) whilst it is running the program.
    Early computers typically had a set of instructions (data) 8-bits wide,
    this allowed for 2 to the power of 8 basic instructions (256).
    This required a data bus 8 bits wide. Later computers were
    16 bit wide which allowed 256X256 instructions, later still 32 bit,
    and also 64 bit. The data which the computer worked on was
    also retreived in 8 bit wide chunks, then later 16, 32 and (now
    sometimes) 64 bit. obviously 16 bit is twice as fast (generaly)
    as 8 bit as it can get twice as much data at once. 32 bit is twice
    as fast again and so on for 64 bit.

    Bazzer Smith, May 25, 2006