  1. JFL

    JFL Guest

    What is Bit Torrent or a Torrent?

    JFL, Aug 3, 2006

  2. JFL

    Jared Guest

    >From Wikipedia:

    "BitTorrent is the name of a peer-to-peer (P2P) file distribution
    client application and also of its related file sharing protocol, both
    of which were created by programmer Bram Cohen. BitTorrent is designed
    to distribute large amounts of data widely without incurring the
    corresponding consumption in costly server and bandwidth resources.
    CacheLogic suggests that BitTorrent traffic accounts for ~35% of all
    traffic on the Internet,[1] while other sources are skeptical.[2]

    The original BitTorrent application was written in Python. Its source
    code, as of version 4.0, has been released under the BitTorrent Open
    Source License, which is a modified version of the Jabber Open Source
    License. There are numerous compatible clients, written in a variety of
    programming languages, and running on a variety of computing platforms.

    BitTorrent clients are programs which implement the BitTorrent
    protocol. Each BitTorrent client is capable of preparing, requesting,
    and transmitting any type of computer file over a network using the
    BitTorrent protocol. This includes text, audio, video, encrypted
    content, and other types of digital information."

    Does that answer it enough?

    Jared, Aug 3, 2006

  3. JFL

    JFL Guest

    yes thanks. I see it on ZD Net and was wondering how it works and how to use
    it

    JFL, Aug 3, 2006
  4. JFL

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-08-03, JFL <> wrote:
    > What is Bit Torrent or a Torrent?

    <http://www.bittorrent.com/index.html>. Click on 'Help' on the top right
    corner of that page.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Aug 3, 2006
  5. JFL wrote:

    > yes thanks. I see it on ZD Net and was wondering how it works and how to
    > use it
    >

    > "Jared" <> wrote in message
    >> >From Wikipedia:

    >> BitTorrent clients are programs which implement the BitTorrent
    >> protocol. Each BitTorrent client is capable of preparing, requesting,
    >> and transmitting any type of computer file over a network using the
    >> BitTorrent protocol. This includes text, audio, video, encrypted
    >> content, and other types of digital information."

    In addition, azureus appears to be the most sophisticated bittorrent client
    so far. Works fine with NAT routers and UPNP (for on-demand portforwarding)
    and gives a comprehensive view about what's happening.
    It also allows adjusting priority for certain parts of a download.

    Walter Mautner, Aug 3, 2006
  6. JFL

    Martik Guest

    "JFL" <> wrote in message
    > What is Bit Torrent or a Torrent?

    http://www.dessent.net/btfaq/

    "One analogy to describe this process might be to visualize a group of
    people sitting at a table. Each person at the table can both talk and listen
    to any other person at the table. These people are each trying to get a
    complete copy of a book. Person A announces that he has pages 1-10, 23,
    42-50, and 75. Persons C, D, and E are each missing some of those pages that
    A has, and so they coordinate such that A gives them each copies of the
    pages he has that they are missing. Person B then announces that she has
    pages 11-22, 31-37, and 63-70. Persons A, D, and E tell B they would like
    some of her pages, so she gives them copies of the pages that she has. The
    process continues around the table until everyone has announced what they
    have (and hence what they are missing.) The people at the table coordinate
    to swap parts of this book until everyone has everything. There is also
    another person at the table, who we'll call 'S'. This person has a complete
    copy of the book, and so doesn't need anything sent to him. He responds with
    pages that no one else in the group has. At first, when everyone has just
    arrived, they all must talk to him to get their first set of pages. However,
    the people are smart enough to not all get the same pages from him. After a
    short while they all have most of the book amongst themselves, even if no
    one person has the whole thing. In this manner, this one person can share a
    book that he has with many other people, without having to give a full copy
    to everyone that's interested. He can instead give out different parts to
    different people, and they will be able to share it amongst themselves. This
    person who we've referred to as 'S' is called a seed in the terminology of
    BitTorrent. "

    Martik, Aug 3, 2006
  7. JFL

    richard Guest

    "JFL" <> wrote in message
    > What is Bit Torrent or a Torrent?

    To use it, you need the basic bit torrent program, install it, figure it out
    and away you go.
    Do note that the original program written by Cohen came under fire by the
    same people who attacked napster, and subsequently got his butt whipped for
    aiding those in violating copyright laws. Use it at your own risk.

    richard, Aug 3, 2006
  8. JFL

    richard Guest

    "Martik" <> wrote in message

    > "JFL" <> wrote in message
    >> What is Bit Torrent or a Torrent?
    >>

    > http://www.dessent.net/btfaq/
    >
    > "One analogy to describe this process might be to visualize a group of
    > people sitting at a table. Each person at the table can both talk and
    > listen to any other person at the table. These people are each trying to
    > get a complete copy of a book. Person A announces that he has pages 1-10,
    > 23, 42-50, and 75. Persons C, D, and E are each missing some of those
    > pages that A has, and so they coordinate such that A gives them each
    > copies of the pages he has that they are missing. Person B then announces
    > that she has pages 11-22, 31-37, and 63-70. Persons A, D, and E tell B
    > they would like some of her pages, so she gives them copies of the pages
    > that she has. The process continues around the table until everyone has
    > announced what they have (and hence what they are missing.) The people at
    > the table coordinate to swap parts of this book until everyone has
    > everything. There is also another person at the table, who we'll call 'S'.
    > This person has a complete copy of the book, and so doesn't need anything
    > sent to him. He responds with pages that no one else in the group has. At
    > first, when everyone has just arrived, they all must talk to him to get
    > their first set of pages. However, the people are smart enough to not all
    > get the same pages from him. After a short while they all have most of the
    > book amongst themselves, even if no one person has the whole thing. In
    > this manner, this one person can share a book that he has with many other
    > people, without having to give a full copy to everyone that's interested.
    > He can instead give out different parts to different people, and they will
    > be able to share it amongst themselves. This person who we've referred to
    > as 'S' is called a seed in the terminology of BitTorrent. "

    Which is what I did not like about it. The one person who has the complete
    file, is not online, you get all the same parts of what everyone else online
    has. While your transferring data, "A" goes offline and nobody else has the
    parts he has. Which makes IRC more attractive because YOU send the entire
    file to someone else and they get it complete. Now if somebody would come up
    with a "conference call" style IRC, so that multiple transfers could take
    place, then maybe you'd have a better system.

    richard, Aug 3, 2006
  9. JFL

    Joe the Jag Guest

    test