bit torrent client

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Heisse Kapiti Trinken, Feb 5, 2006.

  1. On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 08:47:48 +0000, S Roby wrote:

    > Hi
    > I'm after recommendations for a good bitorrent client
    >
    > I was using utorrent but it had the problem if preallocting files
    > even with this option turned off
    > This meant that even if I downloaded 1% it would preallocate 100% of the
    > final file size thus filling up my HD

    It is a good thing to have your bit torrent clent preallocate the entire
    file - you really DO want this.

    And if you're really attempting to download so many torrents at the same
    time that you're actually "filling up" your disc storage, then you're not
    using your Bit torrent client in a sensible way. Much better to download
    only one or two at a time, and to leave them seeding.

    BTW, the best BT client is Azureus - and it too preallocates the whole
    torrent before starting to download it.

    Heisse Kapiti Trinken

    --
    A year after Bill Gates' company wide email on security, Windows was hit
    with several nasty worms including Slammer, Sobig, and Blaster. The viruses

    S Roby, Feb 5, 2006

  3. Heisse Kapiti Trinken

    Rudy Seoa Guest

    In article <D4iFf.131179$>,
    le says...
    > Hi
    > I'm after recommendations for a good bitorrent client
    >
    > I was using utorrent but it had the problem if preallocting files
    > even with this option turned off
    > This meant that even if I downloaded 1% it would preallocate 100% of the
    > final file size thus filling up my HD

    Could could enable the sparse files or compact allocation in uTorrent
    (see the FAQ on it's web site)

    Why would you want to be downloading a file when you don't have enough
    diskspace to store it when it is completed.
    Rudy Seoa, Feb 5, 2006
  4. Heisse Kapiti Trinken

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Rudy Seoa wrote:
    > In article <D4iFf.131179$>,
    > le says...
    >> Hi
    >> I'm after recommendations for a good bitorrent client
    >>
    >> I was using utorrent but it had the problem if preallocting files
    >> even with this option turned off
    >> This meant that even if I downloaded 1% it would preallocate 100% of
    >> the final file size thus filling up my HD
    >>

    > Could could enable the sparse files or compact allocation in uTorrent
    > (see the FAQ on it's web site)
    >
    > Why would you want to be downloading a file when you don't have enough
    > diskspace to store it when it is completed.

    Downloading multiple files simultaneously and burning them off to DVD when
    they complete?
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Feb 5, 2006
  5. Heisse Kapiti Trinken

    ~misfit~ Guest

    S Roby wrote:
    > Hi
    > I'm after recommendations for a good bitorrent client
    >
    > I was using utorrent but it had the problem if preallocting files
    > even with this option turned off
    > This meant that even if I downloaded 1% it would preallocate 100% of
    > the final file size thus filling up my HD

    I like Azureus but it can be a bit of a resource hog. Mainly RAM, it doen't
    seem to suck too much CPU (at least on my XP2600+, it uses around 4% CPU).
    However, it can certainly use some RAM, currently using around 140MB on my
    OC but that's no big deal, I have 1.5GB with 725MB free still.

    I can set it to use less RAM but then it writes to disk more often. I'd
    rather have it use RAM as a cache.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Feb 5, 2006
  6. Heisse Kapiti Trinken

    Mackin_NZ Guest

    S Roby wrote:

    > When the files are only downloading at (say) 2k/s the I start off multple
    > downloads. It may take a month for them to complete.
    > Ive had the PC on for most of the last 3 days & am still trying to
    > complete a 300M download.

    Are you sure you've got the correct ports open on your firewall/router? 2k
    is VERY slow.

    Mackin
    Mackin_NZ, Feb 5, 2006
  7. On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 22:38:09 +0000, S Roby wrote:

    > When the files are only downloading at (say) 2k/s the I start off multple
    > downloads. It may take a month for them to complete.
    > Ive had the PC on for most of the last 3 days & am still trying to complete
    > a 300M download.

    Sounds like something's configured wrongly, or there are only a very few
    seeds for that torrent.

    I'm on dialup and I can get torrents downloading faster than 2k/s

    Heisse Kapiti Trinken

    Heisse Kapiti Trinken, Feb 5, 2006
  8. Heisse Kapiti Trinken

    S Roby Guest

    S Roby, Feb 5, 2006
  9. Heisse Kapiti Trinken

    ~misfit~ Guest

    S Roby wrote:
    >> Downloading multiple files simultaneously and burning them off to
    >> DVD when they complete?

    > When the files are only downloading at (say) 2k/s the I start off
    > multple downloads. It may take a month for them to complete.
    > Ive had the PC on for most of the last 3 days & am still trying to
    > complete a 300M download.

    What type of connection do you have S and who is it with?

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Feb 6, 2006
  10. Heisse Kapiti Trinken

    Brendan Guest

    On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 08:47:48 GMT, S Roby wrote:

    > I'm after recommendations for a good bitorrent client
    >
    > I was using utorrent but it had the problem if preallocting files
    > even with this option turned off

    I use utorrent, and I do not have that problem. Reinstall, check your
    settings.

    utorrent is highly rated. Persevere with it, as i say there is something
    wrong with your particular install.

    --

    .... Brendan

    #342633 +(3716)- [X]

    <Quake-Hat> brad, your mom is fine as shit
    <Quake-Hat> i think i will masturbate to her while i play with my balls
    <bad_brad> brad had to go blow his nose, but thanks for the compliment, i
    will be calling your mother
    <Quake-Hat> Jesus-fucking christ!!!

    Note: All my comments are copyright 6/02/2006 12:22:28 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Feb 6, 2006
  11. Heisse Kapiti Trinken

    S Roby Guest

    In article <71vFf.133436$>, Mackin_NZ <> wrote:
    >S Roby wrote:
    >

    >> When the files are only downloading at (say) 2k/s the I start off multple
    >> downloads. It may take a month for them to complete.
    >> Ive had the PC on for most of the last 3 days & am still trying to
    >> complete a 300M download.

    >Are you sure you've got the correct ports open on your firewall/router? 2k
    >is VERY slow.

    It is very slow. Its probhably just the files I'm downloading. (Howard Stern
    On Demand, TV programs etc)
    I did get 30Kb download speed on another file once. (only once)
    S Roby, Feb 6, 2006
  12. Heisse Kapiti Trinken

    S Roby Guest

    In article <43e69f6e$>, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >S Roby wrote:
    >>> Downloading multiple files simultaneously and burning them off to
    >>> DVD when they complete?

    >> When the files are only downloading at (say) 2k/s the I start off
    >> multple downloads. It may take a month for them to complete.
    >> Ive had the PC on for most of the last 3 days & am still trying to
    >> complete a 300M download.

    >What type of connection do you have S and who is it with?
    >
    >Cheers,

    On on Xtra 2mb bitstream
    Whats a fast torrent that I can test my download speed with??
    S Roby, Feb 6, 2006
  13. Heisse Kapiti Trinken

    S Roby Guest

    In article <pan.2006.02.05.22.34.58.186368@r.>, Heisse Kapiti Trinken <> wrote:
    >On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 22:38:09 +0000, S Roby wrote:
    >
    >> When the files are only downloading at (say) 2k/s the I start off multple
    >> downloads. It may take a month for them to complete.
    >> Ive had the PC on for most of the last 3 days & am still trying to complete
    >> a 300M download.

    >Sounds like something's configured wrongly, or there are only a very few
    >seeds for that torrent.
    >
    >I'm on dialup and I can get torrents downloading faster than 2k/s
    >

    >Heisse Kapiti Trinken

    Yes just one or 2 seeds.
    S Roby, Feb 6, 2006
  14. Heisse Kapiti Trinken

    ~misfit~ Guest

    S Roby wrote:
    > In article <43e69f6e$>, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >>>

    >>> When the files are only downloading at (say) 2k/s the I start off
    >>> multple downloads. It may take a month for them to complete.
    >>> Ive had the PC on for most of the last 3 days & am still trying to
    >>> complete a 300M download.

    >> What type of connection do you have S and who is it with?
    >>
    >> Cheers,

    > On on Xtra 2mb bitstream
    > Whats a fast torrent that I can test my download speed with??

    Umm, anything with a few hundred / a thousand people seeding. Go to
    Isohunt.com and try the latest episode of "Lost" or something. It gives you
    numbers for seeders and leechers there.

    You have to register but that's no big deal, it's a good site anyway.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Feb 6, 2006
  15. Heisse Kapiti Trinken

    -=rjh=- Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > S Roby wrote:
    >> In article <43e69f6e$>, "~misfit~"
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> What type of connection do you have S and who is it with?
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,

    >> On on Xtra 2mb bitstream
    >> Whats a fast torrent that I can test my download speed with??

    > Umm, anything with a few hundred / a thousand people seeding. Go to
    > Isohunt.com and try the latest episode of "Lost" or something. It gives you
    > numbers for seeders and leechers there.

    I hear that Battlestar Galactica episodes are available immediately
    after they screen in the US, I just happened to notice S02E15 had 20,000
    seeds+peers yesterday :)

    Azureus' stats tool is excellent for looking at what your swarm is
    doing, and how your speed relates to that.

    > You have to register but that's no big deal, it's a good site anyway.

    It is an excellent site, but I don't think you have to register.
    -=rjh=-, Feb 6, 2006
  16. On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 03:13:37 +0000, S Roby wrote:

    >>> When the files are only downloading at (say) 2k/s the I start off multple
    >>> downloads. It may take a month for them to complete.
    >>> Ive had the PC on for most of the last 3 days & am still trying to complete
    >>> a 300M download.

    >>Sounds like something's configured wrongly, or there are only a very few
    >>seeds for that torrent.
    >>
    >>I'm on dialup and I can get torrents downloading faster than 2k/s
    >>
    >>Heisse Kapiti Trinken

    > Yes just one or 2 seeds.

    Sounds like those seeds have restricted the bandwidth that they've
    allocated to that torrent. Nothing you can do about it.

    Heisse Kapiti Trinken

    Heisse Kapiti Trinken, Feb 6, 2006
  17. Heisse Kapiti Trinken

    ~misfit~ Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> S Roby wrote:

    >>> On on Xtra 2mb bitstream
    >>> Whats a fast torrent that I can test my download speed with??

    >> Umm, anything with a few hundred / a thousand people seeding. Go to
    >> Isohunt.com and try the latest episode of "Lost" or something. It
    >> gives you numbers for seeders and leechers there.

    > I hear that Battlestar Galactica episodes are available immediately
    > after they screen in the US, I just happened to notice S02E15 had
    > 20,000 seeds+peers yesterday :)

    Virtually all the popular shows are available within 24 hours of screening
    in the US. House, Lost, 24, NCIS, Medium, Cold Case. Most have seeds / peers
    numbers in the thousands in the first week or so.

    > Azureus' stats tool is excellent for looking at what your swarm is
    > doing, and how your speed relates to that.

    I've tried a few and I prefer Azureus. I like proggies to be as configurable
    as possible and give heaps of info. Azureus fitted the bill best for me.
    Others may be as good but they're certaibly not as intuative.

    >> You have to register but that's no big deal, it's a good site anyway.

    > It is an excellent site, but I don't think you have to register.

    Ahh, Ok. I did, I must have read it wrong when I first went there. I
    registered.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Feb 6, 2006