    k Guest

    Does any body know of a program or some way I could find out the video
    bit rate of my video clips?

    k, Jan 10, 2004

  2. k

    Codswallop Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 04:19:06 GMT, k wrote in alt.video.dvd:

    > Does any body know of a program or some way I could find out the video
    > bit rate of my video clips?

    Depends on the type of video clip. Windows Media Player can show the
    bitrate of some. I believe PowerDVD will show DVD bitrates.

    I'm assuming it's a Windows PC, obviously (that appears to be what you
    used to post).

    --
    - Cods

    (un ROT-13 to e-mail)

    Codswallop, Jan 10, 2004

  3. k

    k Guest

    On 10 Jan 2004 04:40:59 GMT, Codswallop <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 04:19:06 GMT, k wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >
    >> Does any body know of a program or some way I could find out the video
    >> bit rate of my video clips?

    >Depends on the type of video clip. Windows Media Player can show the
    >bitrate of some. I believe PowerDVD will show DVD bitrates.
    >
    >I'm assuming it's a Windows PC, obviously (that appears to be what you
    >used to post).

    media player will not do it. Any other programs you know of? Or you
    you know the bit rate of an uncompressed avi at 320 by 240 and 548 by
    480?

    k, Jan 10, 2004
  4. k wrote:

    > On 10 Jan 2004 04:40:59 GMT, Codswallop <> wrote:
    >

    >>On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 04:19:06 GMT, k wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >>

    >>>Does any body know of a program or some way I could find out the video
    >>>bit rate of my video clips?

    >>Depends on the type of video clip. Windows Media Player can show the
    >>bitrate of some. I believe PowerDVD will show DVD bitrates.
    >>
    >>I'm assuming it's a Windows PC, obviously (that appears to be what you
    >>used to post).

    > media player will not do it. Any other programs you know of? Or you
    > you know the bit rate of an uncompressed avi at 320 by 240 and 548 by
    > 480?

    GSpot ought to work: http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

    But if you're still planning to try and upconvert that 320x240 video you
    mention in the other thread, I just also want to add that I think it's a
    bad idea and the result will be very poor.

    Adios,
    ~Nick

    Nicholas Andrade, Jan 10, 2004
  5. k

    Brian Guest

    If your using Windows XP (it might also be in Windows ME) there is an
    option to display the bit rate next to the file name.
    Open the folder that contains your video files.
    Click on View (top pull down menu)
    Select "Choose Details" from the menu
    Tick the box called "bit rate"
    If this does what it says then you should be able to see the bit rate
    for each video clip when you list the files in the folder.
    You'll also have to click "view" and select "details" from the menu

    Regards Brian

    Brian, Jan 10, 2004
  6. k

    k Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 07:06:16 GMT, Nicholas Andrade <>
    wrote:
    I already did, and to be honest it wasn't that bad. I created a cgi
    movie at 320 by 240 and another one at 640 by 480 both uncompressed.
    I rendered them both into an mpeg2 at 9800 bits per second(the highest
    my program will go) . I then compared the new 640 clip which had been
    my 320 clip to the other mpeg2 file that had always been 640 by 480.
    It was definatly fuzzy and not as well defined along the edges, but
    not a horrible mess.

    Basicly what I am going for is.... I have a tv capture card and a p3
    550 with 192 meg of ram. I am unable to capture mpeg1 or 2 at 640 by
    480 without getting alot of droped frames. I can't capture 640 by 480
    uncompressed without getting droped frames as well. I am able to
    capture without droped frames at 320 by 240 mpeg or uncompressed avi.
    I was hopping that a uncompressed avi at 320 by 240 would have the
    same quality as a mpeg2 at 720 by 480. That was the only way I could
    think of to get high quality video on my dvd writer.

    If you have any ideas how I could capture at 640 by 480 in mpeg2 or
    uncompressed avi I would be very interested in knowing about them.

    By the way isn't capturing uncompressed avi more a function of hard
    drive speed than cpu power?

    k, Jan 10, 2004
  7. "k" <> wrote in message
    > Does any body know of a program or some way I could find out the video
    > bit rate of my video clips?

    If its AVI: use a program called "GSpot" available from www.doom9.org

    If its MPEG: use TMPGEnc & go to file > mpeg tools > demultiplex > load in
    the MPEG & see what it says for the video

    ** If the MPEG if VBR, it will report back the bitrate that was specified
    for MAX bitrate

    To find it out doing some math, works for everything :) :

    Take the size of the file, in bytes, and divide it by the playing time of
    the file, in seconds, then divide by 125 (this converts the bytes to bits &
    converts the bits to kilobits...its from 1000/8), and subtract the bitrate
    for the audio & then you have the video bitrate (average for VBR).

    Example: 700MB file plays for 101min & has a 192kbps MP3 track with it.
    700mb = 734,000,000 bytes (use the exact number of bytes not MB). 101 min =
    6,060s. So, we get 121,122 bytes/sec, and then divide by 125 & we get
    968kilobits/sec, with audio. So, 968-192=776kbps = video bitrate.

    Anonymous Joe, Jan 10, 2004
  8. k

    ThePunisher Guest

    http://avicodec.duby.info/

    --
    ThePunisher

    Chap with the wings there, put 5 rounds in him.

    ThePunisher, Jan 10, 2004
  9. k

    John Howells Guest

    "k" <> wrote

    > Does any body know of a program or some way I could find out the video
    > bit rate of my video clips?

    Take the size of the file and divide it by the length in seconds. Not exact,
    but good enough.

    John Howells

    John Howells, Jan 10, 2004
  10. k

    Biz Guest

    "k" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 07:06:16 GMT, Nicholas Andrade <>
    > wrote:
    > Basicly what I am going for is.... I have a tv capture card and a p3
    > 550 with 192 meg of ram. I am unable to capture mpeg1 or 2 at 640 by
    > 480 without getting alot of droped frames. I can't capture 640 by 480
    > uncompressed without getting droped frames as well. I am able to
    > capture without droped frames at 320 by 240 mpeg or uncompressed avi.
    > I was hopping that a uncompressed avi at 320 by 240 would have the
    > same quality as a mpeg2 at 720 by 480. That was the only way I could
    > think of to get high quality video on my dvd writer.
    >
    > If you have any ideas how I could capture at 640 by 480 in mpeg2 or
    > uncompressed avi I would be very interested in knowing about them.

    Buy a faster pc if you want to be serious about video capturing and editing.
    Buying a dvd writer for that old and slow a pc is like buying a set of
    Goodyear Eagle F1 tires for your Yugo....

    > By the way isn't capturing uncompressed avi more a function of hard
    > drive speed than cpu power?

    Yup, but the older machines also have slower IDE interfaces as well compared
    to current offerings. Plus it also depends on the quality of your capture
    card.

    You could upgrade to a new pc using the parts from your current pc for a few
    hundred dollars

    Biz, Jan 10, 2004