    Many thanks in advance

    angie
    (no longer lost if you reply)

    angie, Jun 29, 2003

  2. angie

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Errrrr...erm... angie said:

    > After very prompt responses to my earlier query...Here's a daft question...
    >
    > If I am running AVG, Spybot, Norton (NAV and Crashguard), and just getting
    > hold of Sam Spade, am I covered for most things?
    >
    > I have had the same e-mail for 3 years and am swamped with spam and virus
    > attempts. I have been off-line for 8 months, and everything has changed!
    > (again!)
    >
    > I did try a firewall but it was interfering with my usual navigation. (Maybe
    > recommend a good one?)
    >
    > Many thanks in advance
    >
    > angie
    > (no longer lost if you reply)

    *Do not* have more than one AV running at a time.

    Brian H¹©, Jun 29, 2003

  3. angie

    Shep© Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 19:48:18 +0100, In this world we created "angie"
    <> wrote :

    >After very prompt responses to my earlier query...Here's a daft question...
    >
    >If I am running AVG, Spybot, Norton (NAV and Crashguard), and just getting
    >hold of Sam Spade, am I covered for most things?
    >
    >I have had the same e-mail for 3 years and am swamped with spam and virus
    >attempts. I have been off-line for 8 months, and everything has changed!
    >(again!)
    >
    >I did try a firewall but it was interfering with my usual navigation. (Maybe
    >recommend a good one?)
    >
    >Many thanks in advance
    >
    >angie
    >(no longer lost if you reply)

    Use ,"Mailwasher" and set up filters,
    http://www.mailwasher.net/
    HTH :O)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    Free songs download,

    Shep©, Jun 29, 2003
  4. angie

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Errrrr...erm... angie said:

    > Sorry,
    > I only run NAV on startup, (just to double-check)
    > Thx for your concern
    >
    > (That was bloody quick!)

    Not all the time ;-)

    Brian H¹©, Jun 29, 2003
  5. angie

    Jimchip Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 19:48:18 +0100, angie wrote:
    > After very prompt responses to my earlier query...Here's a daft question...
    >
    > If I am running AVG, Spybot, Norton (NAV and Crashguard), and just getting
    > hold of Sam Spade, am I covered for most things?
    >
    > I have had the same e-mail for 3 years and am swamped with spam and virus
    > attempts. I have been off-line for 8 months, and everything has changed!
    > (again!)
    >
    > I did try a firewall but it was interfering with my usual navigation. (Maybe
    > recommend a good one?)

    Firewall
    http://www.zonelabs.com/

    > Many thanks in advance

    Other utilities you might want to look at:

    Anti-trojan
    Trojan Defence Suite: http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/
    Trojan Hunter: http://www.misec.net/trojanhunter.jsp
    http://www.moosoft.com/thecleaner/

    Anti-virus
    http://www.grisoft.com/html/us_index.htm
    http://www.f-prot.com/download/
    http://www.tudogs.com/virus.php
    eZ Antivirus: http://www.my-etrust.com/

    Anti-spyware
    Ad-Aware: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    Spybot S&D (because trout said so):
    http://security.kolla.de
    Mara says, "A-spy is handy, too."
    http://miika.no-ip.org/ftp/?C=M&O=A

    Startup Monitor
    http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml

    (lifted from /. Posted by jamie.)

    Jimchip, Jun 29, 2003
  6. angie

    Emrys Davies Guest

    'angie',

    Stick with your AVG re-viruses, but get Mail Washer
    http://www.mailwasher.net/ to deal with your spam. It is free, easy to
    use and very effective.

    Regards,
    Emrys Davies.

    Emrys Davies, Jun 29, 2003
  7. angie

    °Mike° Guest

    Get rid of Norton's Crashguard - it is a disaster waiting to
    happen, not to mention that it CANNOT prevent crashes.

    Install Ad-Aware and SpywareBlaster, too.
    Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    Spyware Blaster

    Firewalls (Outpost is about the easiest to set up):

    Outpost

    Sygate
    http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf/spf_ov.htm

    Zone Alarm
    http://www.zonelabs.com/

    Kerio
    http://www.kerio.com/kpf_home.html

    Tiny
    http://www.tinysoftware.com/home/tiny2?pg=tpf4_overview

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 19:48:18 +0100, in
    <bdnccf$sjl$>
    angie scrawled:

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD

    °Mike°, Jun 29, 2003
  8. angie

    Slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as angie continued:

    > After very prompt responses to my earlier query...Here's a daft
    > question...

    Typical woman !!

    Starts of as "a bit of a daft question" and instead you get a complete "daft
    question" !!

    Tchoh!! ;-)
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    Slumpy, Jun 29, 2003
  9. angie

    trout Guest

    angie wrote:

    > After very prompt responses to my earlier query...Here's a daft
    > question...
    >
    > If I am running AVG, Spybot, Norton (NAV and Crashguard), and just
    > getting hold of Sam Spade, am I covered for most things?
    >
    > I have had the same e-mail for 3 years and am swamped with spam and
    > virus attempts. I have been off-line for 8 months, and everything
    > has changed! (again!)
    >
    > I did try a firewall but it was interfering with my usual navigation.
    > (Maybe recommend a good one?)
    >
    > Many thanks in advance
    >
    > angie
    > (no longer lost if you reply)

    Just to amplify other responses; I'd dump Norton. Especially, the
    Crashguard POS.
    --
    "Big, clunky and dumb."

    trout, Jun 29, 2003
  10. angie

    angie Guest

    Thanks to all (except Slumpy)!
    I will try out your suggestions...

    angie, Jun 29, 2003
  11. angie

    derek / nul Guest

    wrote:

    >After very prompt responses to my earlier query...Here's a daft question...
    >
    >If I am running AVG, Spybot, Norton (NAV and Crashguard), and just getting
    >hold of Sam Spade, am I covered for most things?

    Be aware that running 2 AV products can cause problems, dump NAV.

    Crashguard causes more problems that it solves.

    >I have had the same e-mail for 3 years and am swamped with spam and virus
    >attempts. I have been off-line for 8 months, and everything has changed!
    >(again!)
    >
    >I did try a firewall but it was interfering with my usual navigation. (Maybe
    >recommend a good one?)

    get a nat router

    derek / nul, Jun 30, 2003
  12. angie

    john Guest

    i keep the following installed:
    AVG (freeware! i do not let it load on startup)
    Norton AntiVirus (i do not let it load on startup)
    The Cleaner (i do not let it load on startup)
    Spyware Blaster (freeware woohoo!)
    Spybot (freeware!)
    Sygate (firewall; loads on startup)
    POW (freeware! popup killer, loads on startup)
    PopupStopper Companion Pro (integrated into IEv6)
    Zero PopUp (v7.73)

    i go overboard but everything helps :)

    do not run more than one antivirus program at a time (if you let anything
    load on startup)
    i'd like to have NAV running but it sucks up ram something fierce on my
    system.

    i never open email attachments until i've scanned.

    you can set Outlook Express to help protect your email against attachments.

    on your system, i would disable crashguard; i've heard bad things about it.
    but let NAV run in the system tray.
    if you keep NAV running, i'm not sure about the advisability of
    rightclicking on a file using AVG to see if the file is infected; it may
    affect the running NAV or somesuch thing.

    The Cleaner seems to catch things that NAV doesn't, so i like to keep it
    installed.

    i have never had Sygate interfere with webbrowsing or cause me any problems;
    tho, oddly, it does crash praps 5x a month; it runs very discreetly in the
    system tray, doesn't use up much ram. long ago i used tiny personal firewall
    with no problems, but prefer sygate.

    john, Jun 30, 2003
  13. angie

    LooseLips Guest

    Have you posted your real email address to newsgroups or web pages? Don't.
    Change your email address.

    LooseLips, Jun 30, 2003
  14. angie

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, john mused:

    | AVG (freeware! i do not let it load on startup)
    | Norton AntiVirus (i do not let it load on startup)

    | i go overboard but everything helps :)

    Seems a bit contradictory. I guess you aren't too concerned about
    installing a virus from disk/CD...

    mhicaoidh, Jun 30, 2003