    than 16.

    Thanks,
    Lynn
    LLutton, Dec 18, 2003

  2. LLutton

    Robertwgross Guest

    Lynn wrote:
    >Do any of the cameras put out images of 16 bits per channel in RAW Mode? I'm
    >going to upgrade to Photoshop CS after the first of the year and would
    >consider
    >buying a new camera if any put out 16 bits. I scan slides at 16 bits, but
    >with
    >CS, it would be nice if my camera images could be 16 bit also.
    >
    >The manufacturers don't advertise this so I assume the depth is something
    >less
    >than 16.

    The typical good digital cameras today (prosumer and pro) capture RAW images in
    a 12-bit (per channel) depth, and you can convert and save those as 8-bit (per
    channel) TIF or 16-bit (per channel) TIF, or else JPEG and other lossy formats.

    ---Bob Gross---
    Robertwgross, Dec 18, 2003

  3. LLutton

    DJ Guest

    The most I've seen is 14 bits, in the new Sony whatchamacallit. My 300D is 12
    bits. I'm not sure 16 bits would make sense with the noise levels of current
    generation sensors, the extra bits would be down in the noise. Maybe with a full
    frame 645 or 6x9?

    dj

    DJ, Dec 18, 2003
  4. LLutton

    Rick Guest

    "LLutton" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Do any of the cameras put out images of 16 bits per channel in RAW Mode? I'm
    > going to upgrade to Photoshop CS after the first of the year and would consider
    > buying a new camera if any put out 16 bits. I scan slides at 16 bits, but with
    > CS, it would be nice if my camera images could be 16 bit also.
    >
    > The manufacturers don't advertise this so I assume the depth is something less
    > than 16.

    The highest bit depth I know of in a consumer grade digital
    still camera is 14-bits (Sony F7x7, F828), but color and image
    quality has little to do with raw bit depth, e.g. a Canon G-series
    with its 12-bit color gives _much_ more pleasing images straight
    out of the camera.

    Rick
    Rick, Dec 18, 2003
  5. LLutton

    LLutton Guest

    Thanks for your answers.
    Lynn

    LLutton, Dec 19, 2003
  6. LLutton

    Guest

    In message <>,
    DJ <> wrote:

    >The most I've seen is 14 bits, in the new Sony whatchamacallit. My 300D is 12
    >bits. I'm not sure 16 bits would make sense with the noise levels of current
    >generation sensors, the extra bits would be down in the noise. Maybe with a full
    >frame 645 or 6x9?

    More bits could be useful in the 10D/300D at ISO 100. If you severely
    under-expose at ISO 100, and boost in software, it is obvious that
    posterization plays a bigger role in poor image quality than other
    sources of noise, as compared to using a higher ISO.
    --

    John P Sheehy <>
    , Dec 19, 2003