BIOS

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mgsr. Scooter, Mar 6, 2011.

  1. A friends computer arrived with WIN 7 on it. He is severely physically disables
    and has become accustomed to WIN XP. The WIN 7 was only a "30 day" trial version
    with the requirement that a license be bought before the trial expired.
    He decided to install WIN XP on the computer.
    The computer has a 500Gb hard drive in it which was apparent with WIN 7.
    To "downgrade" he booted off the WIN XP Pro disk, after loading all the required
    files he followed the instructions a friend of mine in Washington, Leo Notenboom
    advised http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_reformat_and_reinstall_windows.html
    (Halfway down the article it gives instructions on WIN XP.)
    He followed the Setup instructions, pressed Enter, then when it gave him a
    choice of either repairing or installing a fresh copy of WIN XP, chose the fresh
    copy, he then deleted the existing partition with WIN 7 on it, then when it
    asked if he wanted to create a partition on the un partitioned space chose
    "yes", the only choice available was a partition that was only one third of the
    500 Gb hard drive.
    That was the maximum available for that partition recommended by the setup
    program.
    131 Gb from memory.
    That leaves a missing space of 370 Gb.
    The only option after that was for the system to format the partition.
    Formatting it resulted in a partition of 131 Gb (quite obviously) with WIN XP
    working perfectly.
    What gives?
    How can this be rectified?
    to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."
    Anatole France.

    Mgsr. Scooter, Mar 6, 2011

  2. Mgsr. Scooter

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    , Mgsr. Scooter says...

    > A friends computer arrived with WIN 7 on it. He is severely physically disables
    > and has become accustomed to WIN XP. The WIN 7 was only a "30 day" trial version
    > with the requirement that a license be bought before the trial expired.
    > He decided to install WIN XP on the computer.
    > The computer has a 500Gb hard drive in it which was apparent with WIN 7.
    > To "downgrade" he booted off the WIN XP Pro disk, after loading all the required
    > files he followed the instructions a friend of mine in Washington, Leo Notenboom
    > advised http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_reformat_and_reinstall_windows.html
    > (Halfway down the article it gives instructions on WIN XP.)
    > He followed the Setup instructions, pressed Enter, then when it gave him a
    > choice of either repairing or installing a fresh copy of WIN XP, chose the fresh
    > copy, he then deleted the existing partition with WIN 7 on it, then when it
    > asked if he wanted to create a partition on the un partitioned space chose
    > "yes", the only choice available was a partition that was only one third of the
    > 500 Gb hard drive.
    > That was the maximum available for that partition recommended by the setup
    > program.
    > 131 Gb from memory.
    > That leaves a missing space of 370 Gb.
    > The only option after that was for the system to format the partition.
    > Formatting it resulted in a partition of 131 Gb (quite obviously) with WIN XP
    > working perfectly.
    > What gives?
    > How can this be rectified?

    Before installing to a partition, simple use the other options, and
    delete (preferably ALL) all partitions. Then let it proceed and it will
    make and format one to use all the space available (the whole disk).
    Done.

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Mar 6, 2011

  3. Mgsr. Scooter

    Enkidu Guest

    On 06/03/11 22:55, Mgsr. Scooter wrote:

    > A friends computer arrived with WIN 7 on it. He is severely physically disables
    > and has become accustomed to WIN XP. The WIN 7 was only a "30 day" trial version
    > with the requirement that a license be bought before the trial expired.
    > He decided to install WIN XP on the computer.
    > The computer has a 500Gb hard drive in it which was apparent with WIN 7.
    > To "downgrade" he booted off the WIN XP Pro disk, after loading all the required
    > files he followed the instructions a friend of mine in Washington, Leo Notenboom
    > advised http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_reformat_and_reinstall_windows.html
    > (Halfway down the article it gives instructions on WIN XP.)
    > He followed the Setup instructions, pressed Enter, then when it gave him a
    > choice of either repairing or installing a fresh copy of WIN XP, chose the fresh
    > copy, he then deleted the existing partition with WIN 7 on it, then when it
    > asked if he wanted to create a partition on the un partitioned space chose
    > "yes", the only choice available was a partition that was only one third of the
    > 500 Gb hard drive.
    > That was the maximum available for that partition recommended by the setup
    > program.
    > 131 Gb from memory.
    > That leaves a missing space of 370 Gb.
    > The only option after that was for the system to format the partition.
    > Formatting it resulted in a partition of 131 Gb (quite obviously) with WIN XP
    > working perfectly.
    > What gives?
    > How can this be rectified?

    Scoots, he may be running into this problem:

    http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/130gb-hard-drive-limit/155757.html

    Solution is a disk with SP1 slipstreamed into it.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

    Enkidu, Mar 6, 2011
  4. In article <4d73eca5$>, says...
    > Scoots, he may be running into this problem:
    >
    > http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/130gb-hard-drive-limit/155757.html
    >
    > Solution is a disk with SP1 slipstreamed into it.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    if that's it, then the solution is even easier than trying to get a
    slipstreamed disk and re-installing: simply install sp2 or sp3. 2's available
    on disk, I know, since I downloaded the iso and burned it. Not sure how and
    where I obtained sp3.

    then, open:
    Control Panel -> administrative tools -> computer management ->
    storage -> disk management

    And you get to a screen that's a lot like partition magic and allows you to
    simply manage your drives and partitions in a graphic interface.

    Hasn't barfed on me yet. I have even used it to delete a partition on my main
    drive and expand the running C:\ drive into the vacated space without a
    problem. (reboot necessary)

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Mar 6, 2011
  5. On , , Sun, 06 Mar 2011 22:55:36 +1300, BIOS, Mgsr. Scooter
    <> wrote:

    >That was the maximum available for that partition recommended by the setup
    >program.
    >131 Gb from memory.
    >That leaves a missing space of 370 Gb.
    >The only option after that was for the system to format the partition.
    >Formatting it resulted in a partition of 131 Gb (quite obviously) with WIN XP
    >working perfectly.
    >What gives?
    >How can this be rectified?

    Thanks to all you guys and Peter, the Systems Administrator at Tapper Transport,
    I got this sorted out fast. Everything went well and I was able to reclaim the
    partition that was hidden and after reassigning the drive letters, all was well.
    Cheers Scoots

    Mgsr. Scooter, Mar 10, 2011