    running xp pro
    thanks
    Debbie

    debbie sneap, Jul 18, 2003

  2. debbie sneap

    S.Heenan Guest

    debbie sneap wrote:
    > please help bios keeps losing my hard disk tried auto detect still no
    > good all I keep getting on start up is boot up not found replace disk
    > also I don't think the fan on the power supply is working is there
    > any program that will tell me what's wrong, that's if I can get into
    > windows?
    > running xp pro
    > thanks
    > Debbie

    There's a hardware problem if the BIOS does not properly detect your hard
    drive. Unplug the PC from the AC source. Check the power and IDE cables
    first of all. Plug it back in and see if it doesn't detect your hard drive.
    Try another hard drive if you have one and see if it's detected. Could even
    be a contoller or the hard drive itself. If the fan in the power supply has
    stopped, take it into a shop. Don't even think of opening the PSU case.

    --
    Winerr 00B - Push Error; Removing Files to Make Room for Advertisement

    S.Heenan, Jul 18, 2003

  3. debbie sneap

    °Mike° Guest

    Open the box and remove, then replace, everything, making sure
    that all connections are nice and snug. Replace the power
    supply.

    On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 15:44:01 +0100, in
    <PITRa.31781$>
    debbie sneap scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jul 18, 2003
  4. debbie sneap

    J J DILLON Guest

    Debbie, your fan is not software controlled, it is mechanical. Normally you
    have two fans. One fan cools your power pack and the other fan, which is
    internal, cools your CPU (central processing unit, this chip establishes
    your computers speed and overall processing). If you are referring to the
    fan that blows air out of the back of your computer it is the power pack
    fan. You need to get it replaced. It can cause your power pack to overheat
    and it will cost a lot more to get it replaced. If you do not know how I
    recommend finding a PC service tech to change it for you. As to your drive
    not being recognized it can be one of three issues. 1) If you are able to
    access your bios at start up, it should show your hard drive information and
    floppy drive. If your bios is not finding your hard drive you may have a
    bad hard drive. A technician is needed to verify this for you. 2) If you
    have not been inside your computer this is probably this case. If someone
    has been inside your computer you will need to open it up and see if your
    power cable or data cable to your hard drive is adequately attached. If
    loose, reattach and try starting again. 3) Did you create a start up disk,
    or have one for your XP operating system. If you do insert your start up
    disk and then start computer. It should take you to the a: prompt. Once
    there type in c: and enter. If it does not take you to your hard drive on
    c:\ you definitely have a bad hard drive problem. Sorry, a tech is again
    needed. Or if you know how to install you will need to purchase a new hard
    drive.
    Sorry I did not have better information for you. Good Luck.
    P.S. If this is a fairly new system check to see if your warranty still
    applies.

    J J DILLON, Jul 20, 2003
  5. debbie sneap

    debbie sneap Guest

    Thanks to everyone that replied
    i managed to get it going again by taking out the batteries for a couple of
    minutes and unplugging cables to hard drive etc. seems to be working ok
    now.Fan on the power pack is Not working power pack gets quite hot I will
    try to replace it. Is very difficult?
    could someone let me know how to make a start up disk for windows xp pro
    cant find it anywhere?
    Thanks again
    Debbie

    debbie sneap, Jul 21, 2003
  6. debbie sneap

    boy wonder Guest

    make sure you don't run your ps w/o the fan running, can destroy.
    Can't you get the startup disks from Add/remove in the control panel?

    >>> Debbie

    --
    boy wonder

    boy wonder, Jul 21, 2003