    virus? Any help suggestions appreciated. TIA

    Simon/

    , Jul 16, 2004

  2. Mike Guest

    wrote:

    > I left my PC (win98se OS) online last night, with Kerio personal
    > firewall active. I turned PC off about 5 am and re-booted at 9 am.
    >
    > However, when I rebooted, the BIOS was completely wiped and I've spent
    > the last hour configuring it. PC /SEEMS/ to be ok. I ran F-PROT on it to
    > check for viruses. Got the all clear. Also there's no apps runnig that
    > shouldn't be AFAICT.
    >
    > This has never happened before. Bit puzzled to be honest. Bad luck or a
    > virus? Any help suggestions appreciated. TIA
    >
    > Simon/

    If you are saying you lost your CMOS settings then its probably a faulty
    battery or motherboard. Shit happens.

    If you are saying you had to reflash your PROM then there are some
    nasties around that will do that if you don't set the write protect jumper.

    --

    ------------------------------------

    Real email to mike. The header email is a spam trap and you will be
    blacklisted.

    Mike, Jul 16, 2004

  3. On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 11:04:27 +0100, wrote:

    >I left my PC (win98se OS) online last night, with Kerio personal
    >firewall active. I turned PC off about 5 am and re-booted at 9 am.
    >
    >However, when I rebooted, the BIOS was completely wiped and I've spent
    >the last hour configuring it. PC /SEEMS/ to be ok. I ran F-PROT on it to
    >check for viruses. Got the all clear. Also there's no apps runnig that
    >shouldn't be AFAICT.
    >
    >This has never happened before. Bit puzzled to be honest. Bad luck or a
    >virus? Any help suggestions appreciated. TIA

    Sounds like bad luck, given that you were able to reboot and get into
    the bios on default settings.
    I've had it happen a couple of times, and in both cases the mains
    power had winked out during boot up.

    Have a scout round the web and find a bios backup utility, saves a lot
    of time...and check you have virus protection enabled in the bios ( if
    it has that function ).

    Regards,

    www.shwoodwind.co.uk

    Stephen Howard, Jul 16, 2004
  4. Guest

    Stephen Howard wrote:

    > On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 11:04:27 +0100, wrote:
    >
    > >I left my PC (win98se OS) online last night, with Kerio personal
    > >firewall active. I turned PC off about 5 am and re-booted at 9 am.
    > >
    > >However, when I rebooted, the BIOS was completely wiped and I've spent
    > >the last hour configuring it. PC /SEEMS/ to be ok. I ran F-PROT on it to
    > >check for viruses. Got the all clear. Also there's no apps runnig that
    > >shouldn't be AFAICT.
    > >
    > >This has never happened before. Bit puzzled to be honest. Bad luck or a
    > >virus? Any help suggestions appreciated. TIA
    > >

    > Sounds like bad luck, given that you were able to reboot and get into
    > the bios on default settings.
    > I've had it happen a couple of times, and in both cases the mains
    > power had winked out during boot up.
    >
    > Have a scout round the web and find a bios backup utility, saves a lot
    > of time...and check you have virus protection enabled in the bios ( if
    > it has that function ).
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > --
    > Stephen Howard - Woodwind repairs & period restorations
    > www.shwoodwind.co.uk
    > Emails to: showard{whoisat}shwoodwind{dot}co{dot}uk

    Thanks to both. Yes, I was able to get it back. Have rebooted a couple
    of times, no problem. I don't have bios virus protection. However, I do
    have back up power supply so there wasn't any problem with power...
    Anyway thanks for tip. I'll have a hunt around for a bios bakup utility.

    , Jul 16, 2004
  5. <> wrote in message news:...
    > Stephen Howard wrote:

    > > >However, when I rebooted, the BIOS was completely wiped and I've spent
    > > >the last hour configuring it. PC /SEEMS/ to be ok. I ran F-PROT on it

    > > >check for viruses. Got the all clear. Also there's no apps runnig that
    > > >shouldn't be AFAICT.

    > > Have a scout round the web and find a bios backup utility, saves a lot
    > > of time...and check you have virus protection enabled in the bios ( if
    > > it has that function ).

    > Thanks to both. Yes, I was able to get it back. Have rebooted a couple
    > of times, no problem. I don't have bios virus protection. However, I do
    > have back up power supply so there wasn't any problem with power...
    > Anyway thanks for tip. I'll have a hunt around for a bios bakup utility.

    In my experience, "BIOS Anti-Virus" simply protects the boot sector.

    As a rule of thumb, batteries generally last around the five year mark
    (depending upon the proportion of time that the PC is left on); there's
    often a capacitor that assists (and hence extends the life of the chemical
    battery). FWIW, I've had one fail (in quite a long time - highly unlikely,
    but it /can/ happen)

    For the cost vs. hassle factor, I'd replace the battery..

    --

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!

    Hairy One Kenobi, Jul 18, 2004
  6. Jim Watt Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 17:30:33 +0100, wrote:

    >Stephen Howard wrote:
    >>
    >> On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 11:04:27 +0100, wrote:
    >>
    >> >I left my PC (win98se OS) online last night, with Kerio personal
    >> >firewall active. I turned PC off about 5 am and re-booted at 9 am.
    >> >
    >> >However, when I rebooted, the BIOS was completely wiped and I've spent
    >> >the last hour configuring it. PC /SEEMS/ to be ok. I ran F-PROT on it to
    >> >check for viruses. Got the all clear. Also there's no apps runnig that
    >> >shouldn't be AFAICT.
    >> >
    >> >This has never happened before. Bit puzzled to be honest. Bad luck or a
    >> >virus? Any help suggestions appreciated. TIA
    >> >

    >> Sounds like bad luck, given that you were able to reboot and get into
    >> the bios on default settings.
    >> I've had it happen a couple of times, and in both cases the mains
    >> power had winked out during boot up.
    >>
    >> Have a scout round the web and find a bios backup utility, saves a lot
    >> of time...and check you have virus protection enabled in the bios ( if
    >> it has that function ).
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> --
    >> Stephen Howard - Woodwind repairs & period restorations
    >> www.shwoodwind.co.uk
    >> Emails to: showard{whoisat}shwoodwind{dot}co{dot}uk

    >Thanks to both. Yes, I was able to get it back. Have rebooted a couple
    >of times, no problem. I don't have bios virus protection. However, I do
    >have back up power supply so there wasn't any problem with power...
    >Anyway thanks for tip. I'll have a hunt around for a bios bakup utility.

    I think you are confusing the BIOS with the configuration data stored
    in the CMOS memory.

    Generally when the CMOS gets dropped its down to a duff backup
    battery. If the BIOS goes its a disaster.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Jul 18, 2004
  7. On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 16:38:08 +0200, Jim Watt <_way>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 17:30:33 +0100, wrote:
    >

    >>Thanks to both. Yes, I was able to get it back. Have rebooted a couple
    >>of times, no problem. I don't have bios virus protection. However, I do
    >>have back up power supply so there wasn't any problem with power...
    >>Anyway thanks for tip. I'll have a hunt around for a bios bakup utility.

    >I think you are confusing the BIOS with the configuration data stored
    >in the CMOS memory.
    >
    >Generally when the CMOS gets dropped its down to a duff backup
    >battery. If the BIOS goes its a disaster.

    Good point - in fact, the utility I use is called CmosBak...!

    Regards,

    www.shwoodwind.co.uk

    Stephen Howard, Jul 19, 2004
  8. Robsten Guest

    typed: wrote
    > I left my PC (win98se OS) online last night, with Kerio personal
    > firewall active. I turned PC off about 5 am and re-booted at 9 am.
    >
    > However, when I rebooted, the BIOS was completely wiped and I've spent
    > the last hour configuring it. PC /SEEMS/ to be ok. I ran F-PROT on it
    > to check for viruses. Got the all clear. Also there's no apps runnig
    > that shouldn't be AFAICT.
    >
    > This has never happened before. Bit puzzled to be honest. Bad luck or
    > a virus? Any help suggestions appreciated. TIA
    >
    > Simon/

    There is only two virus who destroy BIOS Chernobyl and Magistr, I don't
    think its virus or you are in real deep shit!!

    --
    Robban Stenkvist
    http://w1.853.comhem.se/~u85329080

    Robsten, Jul 19, 2004
  9. John Vogel Guest

    > On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 11:04:27 +0100, wrote:
    >
    >I left my PC (win98se OS) online last night, with Kerio personal
    >firewall active. I turned PC off about 5 am and re-booted at 9 am.
    >
    >However, when I rebooted, the BIOS was completely wiped and I've spent
    >the last hour configuring it. PC /SEEMS/ to be ok. I ran F-PROT on it to
    >check for viruses. Got the all clear. Also there's no apps runnig that
    >shouldn't be AFAICT.
    >
    >This has never happened before. Bit puzzled to be honest. Bad luck or a
    >virus? Any help suggestions appreciated. TIA

    This is usually caused by the battery in your computer either going dead or
    maybe being loose. I would check the battery, and replace it if neccesary.
    I've seen this a few times, usually on very old computers (8+ years).

    John Vogel, Jul 21, 2004