    parts or test equipment, but in the event I'm missing something dumb,
    although, Yes, I did remember to plug in the computer. :) Thanks in
    Advance
    LDR, Feb 2, 2006

  2. LDR

    doS Guest

    will it boot from a floppy?

    doS, Feb 2, 2006

  3. LDR

    JANA Guest

    Try another display card, and have only the floppy connected. See if it will
    boot from a bootable floppy. If it does, then you can work from that point.
    Also, try a new set of RAM.

    If it is an absolute no-go, then it will be time for a new mother board.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Feb 2, 2006
  4. LDR

    Martik Guest

    "LDR" <> wrote in message
    >I no longer have bios on my pc. The blue light goes on briefly on the
    > screen, which means its getting a signal, then goes out. Nothing. Oh,
    > the fan on the mb remains on. I have eliminated everything but the
    > Intel motherboard, the cpu, and the BIOS chip. I also tried recovering
    > the bios with a software update. Nothing there, either.
    >
    > I realize this is almost impossible to diagnose without substitution of
    > parts or test equipment, but in the event I'm missing something dumb,
    > although, Yes, I did remember to plug in the computer. :) Thanks in
    > Advance

    Get any beeps?

    How did u attempt to recover bios when nothing comes up on the screen?

    Check monitor cable? Try another monitor?
    Martik, Feb 2, 2006
  5. LDR

    doS Guest

    the 3 main things to eliminate you didnt...lol

    doS, Feb 2, 2006
  6. LDR

    fred-bloggs Guest

    LDR <> wrote in news:MPG.1e4b034c8a1dd92d989680
    @news.west.earthlink.net:

    > I no longer have bios on my pc. The blue light goes on briefly on the
    > screen, which means its getting a signal, then goes out. Nothing. Oh,
    > the fan on the mb remains on. I have eliminated everything but the
    > Intel motherboard, the cpu, and the BIOS chip. I also tried recovering
    > the bios with a software update. Nothing there, either.
    >
    > I realize this is almost impossible to diagnose without substitution of
    > parts or test equipment, but in the event I'm missing something dumb,
    > although, Yes, I did remember to plug in the computer. :) Thanks in
    > Advance

    You get no beeps from the POST (Power on self test)?
    Reseat the RAM.
    Remove all cards including video.
    Disconnect all drives.
    Try replacing the Power Supply with one known-to-be-good.
    After that suspect the CPU.
    Did you do anything to cause your PC to stop working?

    --
    fred
    fred-bloggs, Feb 2, 2006
  7. LDR

    LDR Guest

    In article <cydEf.71$>, says...
    > will it boot from a floppy?
    >
    > "LDR" <> wrote in message
    > >I no longer have bios on my pc. The blue light goes on briefly on the
    > > screen, which means its getting a signal, then goes out. Nothing. Oh,
    > > the fan on the mb remains on. I have eliminated everything but the
    > > Intel motherboard, the cpu, and the BIOS chip. I also tried recovering
    > > the bios with a software update. Nothing there, either.
    > >
    > > I realize this is almost impossible to diagnose without substitution of
    > > parts or test equipment, but in the event I'm missing something dumb,
    > > although, Yes, I did remember to plug in the computer. :) Thanks in
    > > Advance

    No; that's how I tried to recover the bios. thanks for answewing.Larry

    LDR, Feb 2, 2006
  8. LDR

    LDR Guest

    In article <43e1ecce$0$64367$>,
    says...
    > LDR <> wrote in news:MPG.1e4b034c8a1dd92d989680
    > @news.west.earthlink.net:
    >
    > > I no longer have bios on my pc. The blue light goes on briefly on the
    > > screen, which means its getting a signal, then goes out. Nothing. Oh,
    > > the fan on the mb remains on. I have eliminated everything but the
    > > Intel motherboard, the cpu, and the BIOS chip. I also tried recovering
    > > the bios with a software update. Nothing there, either.
    > >
    > > I realize this is almost impossible to diagnose without substitution of
    > > parts or test equipment, but in the event I'm missing something dumb,
    > > although, Yes, I did remember to plug in the computer. :) Thanks in
    > > Advance

    > You get no beeps from the POST (Power on self test)?
    > Reseat the RAM.
    > Remove all cards including video.
    > Disconnect all drives.
    > Try replacing the Power Supply with one known-to-be-good.
    > After that suspect the CPU.
    > Did you do anything to cause your PC to stop working?

    I have three Dimms and manipulated them, etc., nothing; drives
    disconnected of course; my speaker's not hooked up, but I will do that
    today. I have suspected the power supply, although it seems to work
    fine. I would put a voltmeter on it, except I don't quite know where to
    insert the probes, although I do have the specs. 5 minus? how do you
    read that?

    Anyway, I was having trouble with my XP Pro; I could not get into it,
    even with the safe option. The message, too quick to read completely,
    says problem with a handler in security. That's when I suspected
    hardware, and it's been downhill ever since. I will probably break down
    and update everything, but I would like to know what's going on. I like
    mysteries in the middle of the night, but not with my faithful computer.
    Thanks everyone.
    LDR, Feb 2, 2006
  9. LDR

    LDR Guest

    In article <WXdEf.160188$AP5.5760@edtnps84>,
    says...

    > "LDR" <> wrote in message
    > >I no longer have bios on my pc. The blue light goes on briefly on the
    > > screen, which means its getting a signal, then goes out. Nothing. Oh,
    > > the fan on the mb remains on. I have eliminated everything but the
    > > Intel motherboard, the cpu, and the BIOS chip. I also tried recovering
    > > the bios with a software update. Nothing there, either.
    > >
    > > I realize this is almost impossible to diagnose without substitution of
    > > parts or test equipment, but in the event I'm missing something dumb,
    > > although, Yes, I did remember to plug in the computer. :) Thanks in
    > > Advance

    > Get any beeps?
    >
    > How did u attempt to recover bios when nothing comes up on the screen?
    >
    > Check monitor cable? Try another monitor?

    I did

    LDR, Feb 2, 2006
  10. LDR

    fred-bloggs Guest

    LDR <> wrote in

    > In article <43e1ecce$0$64367$>,
    > says...
    >> LDR <> wrote in
    >> news:MPG.1e4b034c8a1dd92d989680 @news.west.earthlink.net:
    >>
    >> > I no longer have bios on my pc. The blue light goes on briefly on
    >> > the screen, which means its getting a signal, then goes out.
    >> > Nothing. Oh, the fan on the mb remains on. I have eliminated
    >> > everything but the Intel motherboard, the cpu, and the BIOS chip. I
    >> > also tried recovering the bios with a software update. Nothing
    >> > there, either.
    >> >
    >> > I realize this is almost impossible to diagnose without
    >> > substitution of parts or test equipment, but in the event I'm
    >> > missing something dumb, although, Yes, I did remember to plug in
    >> > the computer. :) Thanks in Advance

    >> You get no beeps from the POST (Power on self test)?
    >> Reseat the RAM.
    >> Remove all cards including video.
    >> Disconnect all drives.
    >> Try replacing the Power Supply with one known-to-be-good.
    >> After that suspect the CPU.
    >> Did you do anything to cause your PC to stop working?
    >>

    > I have three Dimms and manipulated them, etc., nothing; drives
    > disconnected of course; my speaker's not hooked up, but I will do that
    > today. I have suspected the power supply, although it seems to work
    > fine. I would put a voltmeter on it, except I don't quite know where
    > to insert the probes, although I do have the specs. 5 minus? how do
    > you read that?

    You need to have the power supply connected to the motherboard to test
    it.
    http://www.fonerbooks.com/power.htm#power supply 6

    > Anyway, I was having trouble with my XP Pro; I could not get into it,
    > even with the safe option. The message, too quick to read completely,
    > says problem with a handler in security. That's when I suspected
    > hardware, and it's been downhill ever since. I will probably break
    > down and update everything, but I would like to know what's going on.
    > I like mysteries in the middle of the night, but not with my faithful
    > computer. Thanks everyone.

    You may need to repair your XP.
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/repairing_windows_xp.htm

    --
    fred
    fred-bloggs, Feb 2, 2006
  11. LDR

    Ben Myers Guest

    Check the motherboard manual. Some boards require a jumper to
    be repositioned when a corrupt BIOS needs to be flashed.

    Ben

    Ben Myers, Feb 3, 2006
  12. LDR

    LDR Guest

    In article <d2DEf.5082$>,
    says...
    > Check the motherboard manual. Some boards require a jumper to
    > be repositioned when a corrupt BIOS needs to be flashed.
    >
    > Ben
    >
    > "LDR" <> wrote in message news:...
    > > I no longer have bios on my pc. The blue light goes on briefly on the
    > > screen, which means its getting a signal, then goes out. Nothing. Oh,
    > > the fan on the mb remains on. I have eliminated everything but the
    > > Intel motherboard, the cpu, and the BIOS chip. I also tried recovering
    > > the bios with a software update. Nothing there, either.
    > >
    > > I realize this is almost impossible to diagnose without substitution of
    > > parts or test equipment, but in the event I'm missing something dumb,
    > > although, Yes, I did remember to plug in the computer. :) Thanks in
    > > Advance

    thanks. did it umpteen times. L
    LDR, Feb 3, 2006
  13. LDR

    Ben Myers Guest

    > > "LDR" <> wrote in message news:...
    > > > I no longer have bios on my pc. The blue light goes on briefly on the
    > > > screen, which means its getting a signal, then goes out. Nothing. Oh,
    > > > the fan on the mb remains on. I have eliminated everything but the
    > > > Intel motherboard, the cpu, and the BIOS chip. I also tried recovering
    > > > the bios with a software update. Nothing there, either.

    <snip>

    > In article <d2DEf.5082$>,
    > says...
    > > Check the motherboard manual. Some boards require a jumper to
    > > be repositioned when a corrupt BIOS needs to be flashed.
    > >
    > > Ben
    > >

    > thanks. did it umpteen times. L

    The jumper need only be moved once. Watch and listen for the floppy drive
    being accessed. Please note that there may be no video.

    Ben
    Ben Myers, Feb 3, 2006