Bios Upgrade

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Radfaldo, May 11, 2004.

  1. Radfaldo

    Radfaldo Guest

    I have a Packard Bell that I am trying to get the MB/Bios to recognise a
    80GB HDD. I cannot tell what type of PB system it is as it a refurbished
    model and has no serial numbers or anything. On the motherboard the only
    indication of what it might be is "N1996". It has an Award Bios chip on the
    motherboard, and the rest of the info I have is from Bios Agent:
    BIOS Date: 07/13/99
    BIOS Type: American Megatrends
    BIOS ID: 61-0630-001169-00101111-071595-440BX/ZX-1440B000
    OEM Sign-On: A6168P2 V1.4 071399
    Chipset: Intel 440BX/ZX rev 3
    Superio: Unknown
    OS: WinXP
    CPU: Pentium III 500 Mhz MAX: 600 Mhz
    BIOS ROM In Socket: No
    BIOS ROM Size: 256K
    Memory Installed: 256 MB
    Memory Maximum: 256 MB
    Memory Slot 01: 128 MB
    Memory Slot 02: 128 MB

    I'm sure that if I get the latest Bios upgrade it will see the HDD. Can
    someone point me to where I can get it? I would also like to find the manual
    for the motherboard as I have put some memory in and it only shows 128MB but
    I believe it could be 256MB and I thought (as a last resort) that there may
    be a jumper setting to change to get it to use 256MB. You never know with
    these crazy PB systems.

    Does anyone know what I need to do about transferring the drivers (and
    tattoo files to the new HDD). I don't know much about these files, why do PB
    insist on using them?

    Your help would be greatly appreciated.

    Many Thanks

    Adrian

    Radfaldo, May 11, 2004

  2. Radfaldo

    ICee Guest

    Radfaldo wrote:
    > I have a Packard Bell that I am trying to get the MB/Bios to
    > recognise a 80GB HDD. I cannot tell what type of PB system it is as
    > it a refurbished model and has no serial numbers or anything. On the
    > motherboard the only indication of what it might be is "N1996". It
    > has an Award Bios chip on the motherboard, and the rest of the info I
    > have is from Bios Agent:
    > BIOS Date: 07/13/99
    > BIOS Type: American Megatrends
    > BIOS ID: 61-0630-001169-00101111-071595-440BX/ZX-1440B000
    > OEM Sign-On: A6168P2 V1.4 071399
    > Chipset: Intel 440BX/ZX rev 3
    > Superio: Unknown
    > OS: WinXP
    > CPU: Pentium III 500 Mhz MAX: 600 Mhz
    > BIOS ROM In Socket: No
    > BIOS ROM Size: 256K
    > Memory Installed: 256 MB
    > Memory Maximum: 256 MB
    > Memory Slot 01: 128 MB
    > Memory Slot 02: 128 MB
    >
    > I'm sure that if I get the latest Bios upgrade it will see the HDD.
    > Can someone point me to where I can get it? I would also like to find
    > the manual for the motherboard as I have put some memory in and it
    > only shows 128MB but I believe it could be 256MB and I thought (as a
    > last resort) that there may be a jumper setting to change to get it
    > to use 256MB. You never know with these crazy PB systems.
    >
    > Does anyone know what I need to do about transferring the drivers (and
    > tattoo files to the new HDD). I don't know much about these files,
    > why do PB insist on using them?
    >
    > Your help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Many Thanks
    >
    > Adrian

    Inputting the BIOS string at Google, found that it's a MSI MS-6168 MB.
    The BIOS and manual are available here:
    http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/download/dld/spt_dld_detail.php?UID=268&kind=1
    Your shorter link is: http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y20D52348

    ICee, May 11, 2004

  3. Radfaldo

    Radfaldo Guest

    Many Thanks,

    I thought the same thing, but I was confused because the bios seems to say
    it is American Megatrends and the other points it out as being MSI. I'm also
    wary as the version of bios I have at the moment says 1.4 on the bios info
    and the link you have sent me says 1.3 but is a year newer. As it isn't my
    pc I don't want to blow it up for my friend

    What are your thoughts?

    Radfaldo, May 11, 2004
  4. Radfaldo

    ICee Guest

    Radfaldo wrote:
    > Many Thanks,
    >
    > I thought the same thing, but I was confused because the bios seems
    > to say it is American Megatrends and the other points it out as being
    > MSI. I'm also wary as the version of bios I have at the moment says
    > 1.4 on the bios info and the link you have sent me says 1.3 but is a
    > year newer. As it isn't my pc I don't want to blow it up for my friend
    >

    > What are your thoughts?

    When in doubt, especially where a BIOS upgrade is concerned, it's best
    to not update it. I wouldn't, especially since it's someone else's
    computer.
    In your situation, I would just install the drive overlay software that
    comes with most hard drives which allows larger drives to be used with
    older systems.

    ICee, May 11, 2004