    it.

    anyone?

    tia.

    PackRat2112, Sep 19, 2005

  2. PackRat2112

    GHalleck Guest

    PackRat2112 wrote:

    > i have a ChainTech 9CJS ZENITH mobo and am getting ready to install 2
    > wester-digital wd2500 hard drives in it. but before i do any thing i want
    > to upgrade my bios.
    > i've d/l'ed the upgrade and it came in the form of a self-extracting zip
    > file. i unzipped it to a folder on my desktop.
    > it's a .bin file and now i'm not sure as to what i'm suppose to do with
    > it.
    >
    > anyone?

    The download site should have instructions for doing the bios
    upgrade. Re-visit the site. Alternately, read the motherboard
    manual and the bios manual that usually is released with it.

    GHalleck, Sep 19, 2005

  3. PackRat2112

    PackRat2112 Guest

    GHalleck <> wrote in

    > PackRat2112 wrote:
    >
    >> i have a ChainTech 9CJS ZENITH mobo and am getting ready to
    >> install 2
    >> wester-digital wd2500 hard drives in it. but before i do any thing i
    >> want to upgrade my bios.
    >> i've d/l'ed the upgrade and it came in the form of a
    >> self-extracting zip
    >> file. i unzipped it to a folder on my desktop.
    >> it's a .bin file and now i'm not sure as to what i'm suppose to do
    >> with
    >> it.
    >>
    >> anyone?

    > The download site should have instructions for doing the bios
    > upgrade. Re-visit the site. Alternately, read the motherboard
    > manual and the bios manual that usually is released with it.
    >>
    >> tia.

    actually i just found their .pdf manual and i'm checking it out right
    now.
    i just thought that there was an all around general way of doing this.

    this is what's called "flashing the bios", correct?

    PackRat2112, Sep 19, 2005
  4. PackRat2112

    PackRat2112 Guest

    GHalleck <> wrote in

    > PackRat2112 wrote:
    >
    >> i have a ChainTech 9CJS ZENITH mobo and am getting ready to
    >> install 2
    >> wester-digital wd2500 hard drives in it. but before i do any thing i
    >> want to upgrade my bios.
    >> i've d/l'ed the upgrade and it came in the form of a
    >> self-extracting zip
    >> file. i unzipped it to a folder on my desktop.
    >> it's a .bin file and now i'm not sure as to what i'm suppose to do
    >> with
    >> it.
    >>
    >> anyone?

    > The download site should have instructions for doing the bios
    > upgrade. Re-visit the site. Alternately, read the motherboard
    > manual and the bios manual that usually is released with it.
    >>
    >> tia.

    hmmm.. everything that the manual refers to, is the initial set-up and
    features. (chaintech is known for not being nice to nubees). maybe that
    i'll have to contact their tech support, but that'll take days.

    thanks for your responce.
    i'll keep looking

    PackRat2112, Sep 19, 2005
  5. PackRat2112

    Sunny Guest

    "PackRat2112" <> wrote in message
    > i have a ChainTech 9CJS ZENITH mobo and am getting ready to install 2
    > wester-digital wd2500 hard drives in it. but before i do any thing i want
    > to upgrade my bios.
    > i've d/l'ed the upgrade and it came in the form of a self-extracting zip
    > file. i unzipped it to a folder on my desktop.
    > it's a .bin file and now i'm not sure as to what i'm suppose to do with
    > it.
    >
    > anyone?

    Download the Word file "How do I update the BIOS" from :
    http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/Download/

    Sunny, Sep 19, 2005
  6. PackRat2112

    PackRat2112 Guest

    "Sunny" <> wrote in

    > "PackRat2112" <> wrote in message
    >> i have a ChainTech 9CJS ZENITH mobo and am getting ready to install
    >> 2
    >> wester-digital wd2500 hard drives in it. but before i do any thing i
    >> want to upgrade my bios.
    >> i've d/l'ed the upgrade and it came in the form of a
    >> self-extracting zip
    >> file. i unzipped it to a folder on my desktop.
    >> it's a .bin file and now i'm not sure as to what i'm suppose to do
    >> with
    >> it.
    >>
    >> anyone?

    > Download the Word file "How do I update the BIOS" from :
    > http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/Download/

    ko.. thanks for the link. i got it now.

    have a good day.

    PackRat2112, Sep 19, 2005
  7. "PackRat2112" <> wrote in message
    > i have a ChainTech 9CJS ZENITH mobo and am getting ready to install 2
    > wester-digital wd2500 hard drives in it. but before i do any thing i want
    > to upgrade my bios.
    > i've d/l'ed the upgrade and it came in the form of a self-extracting zip
    > file. i unzipped it to a folder on my desktop.
    > it's a .bin file and now i'm not sure as to what i'm suppose to do with
    > it.

    You should already know that a .doc, .txt, .xls, or other document file is
    worthless without some program that can actually read the file and display
    it to you. The .bin file is worthless without a program to actually use
    that data file. Go back to their web site and download their flash program.
    However, if you don't have a UPS attached to the computer and power is lost
    during the flash (i.e., writing the .bin file's contents to the EEPROM) then
    you'll end up with a dead computer until you replace the BIOS' EEPROM
    chip(s).

    And why do you think the BIOS must be updated? Did you actually read the
    description of the version for the BIOS update that you downloaded to see
    that it fixed a problem that you experienced or resolves a known problem
    with your system? Don't be flashing the BIOS unless you actually know that
    it provides SOMETHING for you, like a fix, it is speedier, it provides a new
    option that you feel compelled to have, it supports large drives (and your
    old BIOS doesn't), and so on. If you don't know what the new version gives
    you then you don't need it.

    E-mail: Remove "NIX" and add "#LAH" to Subject.

    Vanguard \(NPI\), Sep 19, 2005
  8. PackRat2112

    PackRat2112 Guest

    "Vanguard \(NPI\)" <> wrote in

    > "PackRat2112" <> wrote in message
    >> i have a ChainTech 9CJS ZENITH mobo and am getting ready to install
    >> 2
    >> wester-digital wd2500 hard drives in it. but before i do any thing i
    >> want to upgrade my bios.
    >> i've d/l'ed the upgrade and it came in the form of a
    >> self-extracting zip
    >> file. i unzipped it to a folder on my desktop.
    >> it's a .bin file and now i'm not sure as to what i'm suppose to do
    >> with
    >> it.

    > You should already know that a .doc, .txt, .xls, or other document
    > file is worthless without some program that can actually read the file
    > and display it to you.

    i downloaded Microsoft Office Word Viewer 2003 for that.

    The .bin file is worthless without a program
    > to actually use that data file. Go back to their web site and
    > download their flash program.

    on boot i can hit alt/f2 to enter the flash program in my current bios,
    so i think i just have to put the .bin file on a floppy and it will do the
    rest.

    However, if you don't have a UPS
    > attached to the computer and power is lost during the flash (i.e.,
    > writing the .bin file's contents to the EEPROM) then you'll end up
    > with a dead computer until you replace the BIOS' EEPROM chip(s).

    i understand this.

    > And why do you think the BIOS must be updated?

    well, the h/d's that i got have several way of hooking them up.
    i'm going to attemp to do a raid 0 set-up with them(which i should be able
    to do with the current bios). but also these h/d's are capable of 3.0
    Gb/sec with a sata II ready mobo (from what i understand). and i'm hoping
    the new bios will make the mobo sata II compliant.

    Did you actually read
    > the description of the version for the BIOS update that you downloaded
    > to see that it fixed a problem that you experienced or resolves a
    > known problem with your system? Don't be flashing the BIOS unless you
    > actually know that it provides SOMETHING for you, like a fix, it is
    > speedier, it provides a new option that you feel compelled to have, it
    > supports large drives (and your old BIOS doesn't), and so on. If you
    > don't know what the new version gives you then you don't need it.

    i really didn't see any description of it all i know is that my current
    version is v6.00 and the one that i d/l'ed is v8.00, so i figured that it
    couldn't hurt anything if i updated it since i'm basically doing a
    startover on my computer with my new h/d's.

    i could be wrong.

    PackRat2112, Sep 19, 2005
  9. PackRat2112

    Plato Guest

    PackRat2112 wrote:

    > Gb/sec with a sata II ready mobo (from what i understand). and i'm hoping
    > the new bios will make the mobo sata II compliant.

    Dont hope. Make sure before you risk it.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Sep 20, 2005
  10. PackRat2112

    Plato Guest

    Vanguard (NPI) wrote:

    > with your system? Don't be flashing the BIOS unless you actually know that
    > it provides SOMETHING for you, like a fix, it is speedier, it provides a new
    > option that you feel compelled to have, it supports large drives (and your

    Heck yeah. I've seen bios upgrades that only address getting along with
    a specific video card or a specific model cdrom drive.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Sep 20, 2005
  11. "PackRat2112" <> wrote in message

    >> You should already know that a .doc, .txt, .xls, or other document
    >> file is worthless without some program that can actually read the file
    >> and display it to you.

    > i downloaded Microsoft Office Word Viewer 2003 for that.
    >
    > The .bin file is worthless without a program
    >> to actually use that data file. Go back to their web site and
    >> download their flash program.

    > on boot i can hit alt/f2 to enter the flash program in my current bios,
    > so i think i just have to put the .bin file on a floppy and it will do the
    > rest.

    True, some mobos have an built-in flash program so you can upgrade your
    BIOS. Whether you use an external program (loaded into memory by an OS) or
    a BIOS-supplied flash program, SOMETHING has to *read* the .bin file and
    then know how to write the bytes contained therein into the EEPROM chips.

    >> And why do you think the BIOS must be updated?

    > well, the h/d's that i got have several way of hooking them up.
    > i'm going to attemp to do a raid 0 set-up with them(which i should be able
    > to do with the current bios). but also these h/d's are capable of 3.0
    > Gb/sec with a sata II ready mobo (from what i understand). and i'm hoping
    > the new bios will make the mobo sata II compliant.

    Upgrading to a newer BIOS version won't change your hardware. If your
    hardware could have supported SATA 2 then it would've supported it already
    in the version of BIOS that you have. While the firmware may fix problems
    in managing the hardware or add options in the settings, it can't
    miraculously add hardware or functions to it that aren't there. You have
    not read the manual or visited the manufacturer's web site to read the
    specifications regarding your motherboard. You haven't checked what the new
    version of BIOS fixes or adds. You don't know anything about your mobo and
    you expect a BIOS upgrade with unknown changes (unknown to you) to do
    miracles. Changing the bytes stored in the EEPROM for BIOS code won't do
    anything to swap out the SATA controller chip on your motherboard.

    Go read
    http://www.chaintech.com.tw/tw/eng/product_spec.asp?MPSNo=13&PISNo=144 and
    notice the board's SATA controller is only rated for 1.5 GB/s (and that is a
    BURST speed, not the sustained transfer rate).

    Chaintech's description of their BIOS updates is extremely poor. If you
    look at the BIOS download page, version 8 says only, "Feature :Fixed that
    some Celeron D cause system hold on BIOS Setup screen". Do you have a
    Celeron in the processor socket? Are you planning to degrade your system
    from a Pentium down to a Celeron? The only statement regarding the version
    7 BIOS upgrade is, "Feature :Update CPU micro code , Support WINDOWS XP
    Service Park 2". That one sounds useful *IF* you actually have a problem.
    Did you have Windows XP SP-2 on this box before, or is this a clean box and
    you have yet to install an OS?

    There is a Chaintech newsgroup (alt.comp.mainboards.chaintech). Have you
    asked over there if the new version BIOS is okay? I had to back off the
    latest version (at that time) for my BIOS because of *known* problems in
    that version with the Silicon Image 3112 controller chip used on my Abit
    mobo, so going to the latest version is not necessarily a good thing to do!
    Latest is NOT always best. You might want to check with the Chaintech mobo
    group to see what experiences they have had.

    By the way, the downloadable .exe files for BIOS updates use WinZip's
    self-extractor program, and it is a personal license not to be used for
    business use for distributing self-extracting archive files. But then I
    guess the Twainese don't give a gnat's fart about copyright or license
    issues (so, by reciprocation, we shouldn't comply with their copyright or
    licensing rules).

    E-mail: Remove "NIX" and add "#LAH" to Subject.

    Vanguard \(NPI\), Sep 20, 2005
  12. Forgot to mention, if the flash program lets you save the current BIOS
    contents (to a floppy), be sure to do so. You might find that you will have
    to revert to your old version if the newer version causes problems (newer
    isn't always better).

    Vanguard \(NPI\), Sep 20, 2005
  13. PackRat2112

    PackRat2112 Guest

    "Vanguard \(NPI\)" <> wrote in

    While the firmware may
    > fix problems in managing the hardware or add options in the settings,
    > it can't miraculously add hardware or functions to it that aren't
    > there. You have not read the manual or visited the manufacturer's web
    > site to read the specifications regarding your motherboard.

    You haven't checked what the new version of BIOS fixes or adds. You don't
    > know anything about your mobo and you expect a BIOS upgrade with
    > unknown changes (unknown to you) to do miracles.

    actually i have read the specifications, but i'm not pretending to know
    exactly what everything means, not beening an expert in this field.

    my problem is that i'm forever an optimist that likes to tweek on things
    (you know try to figure things out and make them go faster), and that's not
    always a good thing. <g>

    > Chaintech's description of their BIOS updates is extremely poor. If
    > you look at the BIOS download page, version 8 says only, "Feature
    > :Fixed that some Celeron D cause system hold on BIOS Setup screen".
    > Do you have a Celeron in the processor socket? Are you planning to
    > degrade your system from a Pentium down to a Celeron?

    no. i'm sticking with the p4.

    The only
    > statement regarding the version 7 BIOS upgrade is, "Feature :Update
    > CPU micro code , Support WINDOWS XP Service Park 2". That one sounds
    > useful *IF* you actually have a problem. Did you have Windows XP SP-2
    > on this box before, or is this a clean box and you have yet to install
    > an OS?

    been running xp pro with sp1. and i think i'm going to start out clean.
    (not sure if i'm going to install sp2 or not. not beening sure of the
    advantages/disadvantages. going to have to look into it.

    > There is a Chaintech newsgroup (alt.comp.mainboards.chaintech). Have
    > you asked over there if the new version BIOS is okay?

    did not find alt.comp.mainboards.chaintech on either of my servers, but i
    did find alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech in which i plan to though a
    few ?s.

    any-how, now all i have to do is figure out how to set up these 2 drives
    for raid 0. and put an image of my old drive in there.

    fun.

    thank you for all the info, it's a big help.

    cheers, PackRat2112.

    PackRat2112, Sep 20, 2005
  14. PackRat2112

    PackRat2112 Guest

    Plato <|@|.|> wrote in news:432f9bd6$0$244$:

    > Vanguard (NPI) wrote:
    >>
    >> with your system? Don't be flashing the BIOS unless you actually
    >> know that it provides SOMETHING for you, like a fix, it is speedier,
    >> it provides a new option that you feel compelled to have, it supports
    >> large drives (and your

    > Heck yeah. I've seen bios upgrades that only address getting along
    > with a specific video card or a specific model cdrom drive.

    i hear ya, thanks.

    PackRat2112, Sep 20, 2005