    62-0429-001131-00101111-040201-SiS735-K7S5A

    Can anyone please offer me any advice.

    Thanks
    Representative Trantis, Feb 1, 2004

  2. "Representative Trantis" <> wrote in message
    > I have never updated a BIOS before.
    > I have a K7S5A BIOS and am currently using Windows 98.
    > I am trying to upgrade to Windoes XP, using the stand alone version,

    booting
    > from CDROM. The files have copied, but when I try to run the copied files
    > for the first time to set up XP it fails, and gives a boot error.
    >
    > I am asuming that if I update the BIOS that will solve my problems., Do

    you
    > think I am correct?
    >
    > The details on startup are:
    > American Megatrends AMIBIOS
    > K7s5A release 04/29/2002 S
    > 62-0429-001131-00101111-040201-SiS735-K7S5A
    >
    > Can anyone please offer me any advice.
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > I've just updated the BIOS to a version that's only a few months old, and

    am stilll gettkng the unmountable boot volume error....

    can anyone please suggest anything.
    Thanks.
    Representative Trantis, Feb 1, 2004

  3. Representative Trantis

    Fred Guest

    Try the Knowledgebase.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297185
    and follow the instructions.

    Fred, Feb 1, 2004
  4. Representative Trantis

    Thor Guest

    If your BIOS is dated 2002, it shouldn't have any WInXP compatibility issues
    preventing installation.

    Thor, Feb 1, 2004
  5. Representative Trantis

    Ardent Guest

    On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 08:50:42 -0500, "Thor" <> wrote:

    >If your BIOS is dated 2002, it shouldn't have any WInXP compatibility issues
    >preventing installation.

    But I loaded XP in my 166MHz machine with just 64mb and BIOS dated
    1998 with absolutely no problem. (But it worked very slow!)

    Perhaps the OP has some other unique problem with his machine.
    --
    Sandy Archer
    Reply to newsgroups only
    Ardent, Feb 11, 2004
  6. Representative Trantis

    Thor Guest

    You missed the point. His BIOS was dated 2002, and he wanted to know if his
    BIOS could be the problem in getting WinXP installed. I said he shouldn't
    have XP/BIOS compatibility issues if his is dated 2002, because that was
    well after XP's introduction, and XP issues should have been well ironed out
    by then. That's not to say that you MUST have a BIOS dated at least 2002 in
    order to install XP, although there are quite a few boards with BIOS
    releases prior to XP's introduction in 2001 that have issues when trying to
    install XP. If he would have said "my BIOS is dated 1998" then I would say,
    compatibility issues *could* be a problem, because XP is touchy about APM,
    and ACPI support on the board, and that release was long before XP. Get the
    point?

    P.S. you are a masochist. Installing XP on a 166 with 64MB of RAM. UGH!

    Thor, Feb 11, 2004
  7. Representative Trantis

    Ardent Guest

    On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 21:21:28 -0500, "Thor" <> wrote:

    >P.S. you are a masochist. Installing XP on a 166 with 64MB of RAM. UGH!

    No, not at all. I was just trying to see whether XP was particular
    about the minimum requirements specified.

    In fact I still continue to happily use my fine tuned W98 with an
    install size of about 90mb on my PIV 2gHz :-(

    --
    Sandy Archer
    Reply to newsgroups only
    Ardent, Feb 13, 2004