BIOS update

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by zim, Sep 16, 2003.

  1. zim

    zim Guest

    Hello. I have some Compaq Prosignia's here (PIII 450 256MB) I've recently
    upgraded to Windows XP (from 98). Prior to this I installed a BIOS update to
    the latest version available (a version recommended for Windows 2000 dated
    8/99). These machines have Compaq boards with an Intel chipset (says Intel
    FW82443BX).

    A couple of these machines have been crashing...a lot.

    System event viewer shows Event ID 4 Errors with a source ACPI:

    AMLI ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal I/O port address (then
    gives a memory address) this could lead to system instability.

    All info on this error I've found through google etc. says to update the
    BIOS but I have the most recent version (from 1999). I'm wondering what to
    try next...

    Thanks,

    PK
    zim, Sep 16, 2003

  2. zim

    Paul - xxx Guest

    zim tried to scribble ...

    > Hello. I have some Compaq Prosignia's here (PIII 450 256MB) I've
    > recently upgraded to Windows XP (from 98). Prior to this I installed
    > a BIOS update to the latest version available (a version recommended
    > for Windows 2000 dated 8/99). These machines have Compaq boards with
    > an Intel chipset (says Intel FW82443BX).
    >
    > A couple of these machines have been crashing...a lot.
    >
    > System event viewer shows Event ID 4 Errors with a source ACPI:
    >
    > AMLI ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal I/O port address
    > (then gives a memory address) this could lead to system instability.
    >
    > All info on this error I've found through google etc. says to update
    > the BIOS but I have the most recent version (from 1999). I'm
    > wondering what to try next...
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > PK

    If the update hasn't worked, then go back to the pevious version. You may
    need to wipe the BIOS completely to do so .. usually a jumper on the
    motherboard can accomplish this. Otherwise, remove the motherboard battery,
    wait 15 minutes or more, replace battery.

    Be sure you know and can follow _exactly_ the manufacturers instructions ..
    ;)

    --
    .............................Paul - xxx
    Paul - xxx, Sep 16, 2003

  3. zim

    Stevo Guest

    Paul - xxx wrote:
    > zim tried to scribble ...
    >
    >> Hello. I have some Compaq Prosignia's here (PIII 450 256MB) I've
    >> recently upgraded to Windows XP (from 98). Prior to this I installed
    >> a BIOS update to the latest version available (a version recommended
    >> for Windows 2000 dated 8/99). These machines have Compaq boards with
    >> an Intel chipset (says Intel FW82443BX).
    >>
    >> A couple of these machines have been crashing...a lot.
    >>
    >> System event viewer shows Event ID 4 Errors with a source ACPI:
    >>
    >> AMLI ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal I/O port address
    >> (then gives a memory address) this could lead to system instability.
    >>
    >> All info on this error I've found through google etc. says to update
    >> the BIOS but I have the most recent version (from 1999). I'm
    >> wondering what to try next...
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> PK

    > If the update hasn't worked, then go back to the pevious version.
    > You may need to wipe the BIOS completely to do so .. usually a jumper
    > on the motherboard can accomplish this. Otherwise, remove the
    > motherboard battery, wait 15 minutes or more, replace battery.
    >
    > Be sure you know and can follow _exactly_ the manufacturers
    > instructions .. ;)

    The jumper will only clear configurable CMOS settings, NOT the BIOS itself.

    --
    Stevo
    (pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)
    Stevo, Sep 17, 2003