    hard drive but it is only recognized at 2GB. I'm running an IBM 300PL
    M/T 6862-3OU.

    Any help would be appreciated.
    Northern Girl, Feb 2, 2005

  2. Northern Girl

    °Mike° Guest

    No, it won't. How about giving some more details
    of your system, and how you partitioned/formatted
    your drive?

    On 2 Feb 2005 11:58:00 -0800, in
    <>
    Northern Girl scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Feb 2, 2005

  3. Here is more information: Windows 98SE, Pentium II 350, 192MB RAM, BIOS
    Date is 12/07/98.

    Drive 0 (C:) shows in BIOS as 4224MB - IDE Read Prefetch - Disable
    Drive 1 (D:) shows in BIOS as 33822MB - IDE Read Prefetch - Disable

    When in Windows and right-clicking on C: it shows that it's a 3.91GB
    Hard Drive but it's actually a 7.9GB Hard Drive.

    When in Windows and right-clicking on D: it show that it's a 1.99 GB
    Hard Drive but it's actually a 40GB Hard Drive.

    Formatting C: was accomplished by using the windows 98 Boot Disk and
    using this command: format c:

    Formatting D: was accomplished by right-clicking on the drive in "My
    Computer" and using the Format command.
    Northern Girl, Feb 2, 2005
  4. Northern Girl

    °Mike° Guest

    Are you sure that the drives were partitioned correctly?
    Also, make sure that they are set to auto detect in the
    BIOS.

    On 2 Feb 2005 13:05:45 -0800, in
    <>
    Northern Girl scrawled:

    °Mike°, Feb 3, 2005
  5. Northern Girl

    Mellowed Guest

    If I may jump in here briefly.

    My original computer was the same vintage as yours. It was as Pentium II
    400MHz from Gateway. My HD crashed and I replaced it with a 40GB. I also
    updated the Bios by downloading the latest from Gateway. Now I have one
    partition of 40GB. Life is easy and sweet with the new BIOS download. Now,
    I am very 'Green' on these issues, however, I believe getting the latest
    BIOS is essential to use your new HD. I also think it is possible to screw
    up your BIOS during the reprogramming. As a precautionary measure I would
    suggest that you take it to a PC Shop and let them perform this operation.
    The rest of the process if easy. i.e. re-partitioning, re-formatting.

    The other responders are far more proficient in these matters. At this
    moment 'Mike' should be sleeping. However, he would surely have more
    professional advise than I can offer.

    Mellowed, Feb 3, 2005
  6. I must reply that my problem was a very stupid oversight. I forgot to
    fdisk first. :)
    Northern Girl, Feb 3, 2005
  7. Northern Girl

    °Mike° Guest