BIOS Settings, help please?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Trent C, Nov 10, 2003.

  1. Trent C

    Trent C Guest

    > I have a problem burning onto a particular CDR and Nero suggests changing
    my
    > SCSI Bios Settings. I understand the correct Key to use at bootup is

    shown
    > next to bios info at startup. Mine says F3, but I have tried it and it

    does
    > not work! I have also tried F1 & F10 with same result, PC starts

    normally.
    > Any ideas? Thanks.

    Try the Del key

    Trent C, Nov 10, 2003

  2. Trent C

    Harrison Guest

    Try Del, Esc, and F2 as well.
    Post your motherboard make and model.

    Caroline, Nov 10, 2003
  4. Trent C

    Kris OKelly Guest

    To: "Caroline" <>
    Re: Re: BIOS Settings, help please?
    By: "Caroline" <> to 24hoursupport.helpdesk on Mon Nov 10 2003 03:44 pm

    > From Newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >
    > And if I can't find manual? :(

    tech support <G>
    -------------------------------------
    Kris O'Kelly - Administrator
    Simsbury Online BBS
    Internet:
    Fidonet: Kris O'Kelly@1:261/1396
    Simsbury.cjb.net (BBS Telnet Access)
    http://simsbury.cjb.net (Webpage)
    --- Synchronet 3.10L-Win32 NewsLink 1.65
    * Simsbury Online - Charleston, WV - telnet://simsbury.synchro.net

    Kris OKelly, Nov 10, 2003
  5. Trent C

    Emrys Davies Guest

    'Caroline',

    It will be on your motherboard manual.

    For instance, mine is an ASUS PEB-F Jumper Free ATX Motherboard.

    Regards,
    Emrys Davies.

    "Caroline" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks Trent, the DEL key worked!
    > Unfortunately, the info I wanted was not there!
    >
    > Nero suggests "press Ctrl A during bootup to enter the SCSI Select

    Utility"
    > (CTRL A did not work) and there was no SCSI Select Utility anywhere in

    the
    > setup page I got when pressing DEL key at bootup.
    >
    > Does anyone know how to access the SCSI SU? and, sorry to be a pain,

    but
    > where can I find out make and model of the motherboard on my PC?
    > PC model is Pionex P3 and I am running Win98se. Intel 810e? Is this

    it?

    Emrys Davies, Nov 10, 2003
  6. Trent C

    Caroline Guest

    Caroline, Nov 10, 2003
  7. Trent C

    Trent C Guest

    If you know the make and model number of the motherboard, the manual can
    almost always be downloaded from the manufacturer's website in pdf format.

    Trent C, Nov 10, 2003
  8. Trent C

    Emrys Davies Guest

    'Caroline',

    Download http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html ,which is free, to
    your desktop and it will give you the details which you require. Look
    under 'Main Circuit Board'.

    Regards,
    Emrys Davies.

    Emrys Davies, Nov 10, 2003
  9. Trent C

    Caroline Guest

    Caroline, Nov 10, 2003
  10. Trent C

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 15:01:49 -0000, Caroline wrote:

    >Thanks Trent, the DEL key worked!
    >Unfortunately, the info I wanted was not there!
    >
    >Nero suggests "press Ctrl A during bootup to enter the SCSI Select Utility"
    >(CTRL A did not work) and there was no SCSI Select Utility anywhere in the

    That message is quite common for Adaptec SCSI adapters. Even if the line
    displaying the message is disabled in the SCSI setup, CTRL-A still
    works.

    One question is it really a SCSI CDR you are using? The Nero manual may
    simply be guiding you to this as an answer but SCSI for home use is
    still fairly rare. What make model of CDR device?

    Anyway, during boot up you normally see the BIOS screen listing the
    drives, floppy, memory etc. After that adapters like SCSI cards / other
    disk devices like Serial ATA/RAID devices built in the motherboard are
    detected.

    For a common brand like Adaptec there are some lines listing detected
    devices, (couldn't find an electronic copy to paste from) like -

    Adaptec <banner >...
    SCSI BIOS version , dates etc.

    device 1 address name make/model
    device 2 address name make/model
    device 3 address name make/model

    Even if you don't see the press CTRL-A message it still works after the
    banner is displayed. Best to maybe try CTRL-A 3 or 4 times quickly . Of
    course if you don't even see any device lines then, see the questions
    others asked about determining the motherboard info.

    Another option, if you do see an Adaptec or other brand like Iwill and a
    list of SCSI devices check the manufacturers site for a utility
    diskette.

    >setup page I got when pressing DEL key at bootup.
    >
    >Does anyone know how to access the SCSI SU? and, sorry to be a pain, but
    >where can I find out make and model of the motherboard on my PC?
    >PC model is Pionex P3 and I am running Win98se. Intel 810e? Is this it?
    >Thanks :)
    >
    >"Harrison" <> wrote in message
    >> Try Del, Esc, and F2 as well.
    >> Post your motherboard make and model.
    >>
    >> On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 14:20:24 -0000, "Caroline"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hi all
    >> >I have a problem burning onto a particular CDR and Nero suggests changing

    >my
    >> >SCSI Bios Settings. I understand the correct Key to use at bootup is

    >shown
    >> >next to bios info at startup. Mine says F3, but I have tried it and it

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Nov 10, 2003
  11. Trent C

    CarolineX Guest

    why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 15:01:49 -0000, Caroline wrote:
    >
    > >Thanks Trent, the DEL key worked!
    > >Unfortunately, the info I wanted was not there!
    > >
    > >Nero suggests "press Ctrl A during bootup to enter the SCSI Select Utility"
    > >(CTRL A did not work) and there was no SCSI Select Utility anywhere in the

    > That message is quite common for Adaptec SCSI adapters. Even if the line
    > displaying the message is disabled in the SCSI setup, CTRL-A still
    > works.
    >
    > One question is it really a SCSI CDR you are using? The Nero manual may
    > simply be guiding you to this as an answer but SCSI for home use is
    > still fairly rare. What make model of CDR device?
    >
    > Anyway, during boot up you normally see the BIOS screen listing the
    > drives, floppy, memory etc. After that adapters like SCSI cards / other
    > disk devices like Serial ATA/RAID devices built in the motherboard are
    > detected.
    >
    > For a common brand like Adaptec there are some lines listing detected
    > devices, (couldn't find an electronic copy to paste from) like -
    >
    > Adaptec <banner >...
    > SCSI BIOS version , dates etc.
    >
    > device 1 address name make/model
    > device 2 address name make/model
    > device 3 address name make/model
    >
    > Even if you don't see the press CTRL-A message it still works after the
    > banner is displayed. Best to maybe try CTRL-A 3 or 4 times quickly . Of
    > course if you don't even see any device lines then, see the questions
    > others asked about determining the motherboard info.
    >
    > Another option, if you do see an Adaptec or other brand like Iwill and a
    > list of SCSI devices check the manufacturers site for a utility
    > diskette.
    >
    > >setup page I got when pressing DEL key at bootup.
    > >
    > >Does anyone know how to access the SCSI SU? and, sorry to be a pain, but
    > >where can I find out make and model of the motherboard on my PC?
    > >PC model is Pionex P3 and I am running Win98se. Intel 810e? Is this it?
    > >Thanks :)
    > >
    > >"Harrison" <> wrote in message
    > >> Try Del, Esc, and F2 as well.
    > >> Post your motherboard make and model.

    > my

    > shown

    > <snip>
    >
    > Me

    Thanks for Belarc software - here is my motherboard info:

    Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. i810-47B27X
    Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
    BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG 02/03/00

    I have a SONY CD-RW CRX140E & a LITEON DVD-ROM LTD163.

    Honestly, I kept my finger on CTRL-A, but still loaded normally.

    Please let me know if any further info helps. :)

    CarolineX, Nov 11, 2003
  12. Trent C

    why? Guest

    On 11 Nov 2003 02:06:28 -0800, CarolineX wrote:

    >why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message news:<>...
    >> On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 15:01:49 -0000, Caroline wrote:
    >>
    >> >Thanks Trent, the DEL key worked!
    >> >Unfortunately, the info I wanted was not there!
    >> >
    >> >Nero suggests "press Ctrl A during bootup to enter the SCSI Select Utility"
    >> >(CTRL A did not work) and there was no SCSI Select Utility anywhere in the

    >> That message is quite common for Adaptec SCSI adapters. Even if the line
    >> displaying the message is disabled in the SCSI setup, CTRL-A still
    >> works.
    >>
    >> One question is it really a SCSI CDR you are using? The Nero manual may
    >> simply be guiding you to this as an answer but SCSI for home use is
    >> still fairly rare. What make model of CDR device?

    <snip>

    >> >setup page I got when pressing DEL key at bootup.
    >> >
    >> >Does anyone know how to access the SCSI SU? and, sorry to be a pain, but
    >> >where can I find out make and model of the motherboard on my PC?
    >> >PC model is Pionex P3 and I am running Win98se. Intel 810e? Is this it?
    >> >Thanks :)
    >> >
    >> >"Harrison" <> wrote in message

    >> my

    >> shown

    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> Me

    >Thanks for Belarc software - here is my motherboard info:

    Twasn't me, you can reply to the poster that told you about it. You
    don't need to post to the last post in the thread.

    >Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. i810-47B27X

    Can't find that motherboard code on the gigabyte site. The motherboard
    code is usually something like

    GA-8xxxx
    GA-7xxxx
    GA-6xxxx
    or similar.

    The chipset identifier i810 is Intel 810, searching Gigabyte manuals for
    Intel 810 chipsets , gave this list of motherboard codes.

    Intel 810 Chipset
    Model
    GA-6WMMC7
    GA-6WMM7
    GA-6WMM-e
    GA-6WXM-e
    GA-6WFZ7
    GA-6WMM
    GA-6WFZ7-1
    GA-6WMM7-1
    GA-6WMZ7
    GA-6WMMC7-1

    You may need to hunt around the site http://www.giga-byte.com/
    yourself or ask in one of the gigabyte newsgroups if they can identify
    it.

    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte
    alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte

    >Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
    >BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG 02/03/00
    >
    >I have a SONY CD-RW CRX140E & a LITEON DVD-ROM LTD163.

    Both of those are (E)IDE devices and not SCSI. It looks like it was a
    case of the Nero manual suggested the SCSI BIOS option change, but only
    if that's the type of setup you have. It appears you don't have SCSI
    CD/DVD so Ctrl-A won't do you any good.

    why?, Nov 11, 2003