BIOS Set up Question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by buffy, Oct 5, 2003.

  1. buffy

    buffy Guest

    I have an ASUS A7A266-E M/Board and am thinking about installing a DVD
    rewriter in addition to a CD Rewriter

    In the BIOS I have the following which all operates on Auto Detection of
    drives

    Primary Master Hard Drive
    Primary Slave AUTO (Empty)
    Secondary Master DVD Rom Drive
    Secondary Slave CD Rewriter

    I have two questions

    1.Would this be a standard setup in the BIOS to order these drives in this
    way?

    2. If I configured the jumper on the rear of a DVD Rewriter to slave, would
    it automatically be picked up as the Primary Slave?

    Any help appreciated

    Thanks
    buffy, Oct 5, 2003

  2. buffy

    Brian H¹© Guest

    buffy said:

    > I have an ASUS A7A266-E M/Board and am thinking about installing a DVD
    > rewriter in addition to a CD Rewriter
    >
    > In the BIOS I have the following which all operates on Auto Detection of
    > drives
    >
    > Primary Master Hard Drive
    > Primary Slave AUTO (Empty)
    > Secondary Master DVD Rom Drive
    > Secondary Slave CD Rewriter
    >
    > I have two questions
    >
    > 1.Would this be a standard setup in the BIOS to order these drives in this
    > way?
    >
    > 2. If I configured the jumper on the rear of a DVD Rewriter to slave, would
    > it automatically be picked up as the Primary Slave?
    >
    > Any help appreciated
    >
    > Thanks

    You have 2 slots on your board, the first is Primary, the second is Secondary.
    If you have one unit on the Primary ribbon, then you will only have one primary
    unit.
    So, if you want the DVD to be a Primary Slave, connect it to the Primary ribbon,
    pinned as Slave.
    Brian H¹©, Oct 5, 2003

  3. buffy

    Billy Guest

    Don't forget to check the jumper on the primary drive, it may need to be
    changed to Master, rather than only drive on chain.

    Billy, Oct 5, 2003
  4. buffy

    buffy Guest

    I had a quick look at the rear of the HD and unlike the dvd rom and cdrw
    drives it didnt seem to have the Master, slave or cable select options or if
    it did they are not very clear

    buffy, Oct 5, 2003
  5. buffy

    Billy Guest

    You should see a set of about 4-5 jumpers (8-10 pins), the settings are
    usually on the top of the drive. Rather than pull it to see, check your
    system properties for the manufacturer and view their description.
    Common drives.
    Western Digital.
    http://support.wdc.com/techinfo/general/jumpers.asp
    Maxtor.
    http://www.maxtor.com/en/documentation/jumper_settings/style_a2.htm
    or punch your manufacturer into a Google search for Seagate support or
    whatever.

    Billy, Oct 5, 2003
  6. buffy

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as buffy continued:

    > I have an ASUS A7A266-E M/Board and am thinking about installing a DVD
    > rewriter in addition to a CD Rewriter
    >
    > In the BIOS I have the following which all operates on Auto Detection
    > of drives
    >
    > Primary Master Hard Drive
    > Primary Slave AUTO (Empty)
    > Secondary Master DVD Rom Drive
    > Secondary Slave CD Rewriter
    >
    > I have two questions
    >
    > 1.Would this be a standard setup in the BIOS to order these drives in
    > this way?
    >
    > 2. If I configured the jumper on the rear of a DVD Rewriter to slave,
    > would it automatically be picked up as the Primary Slave?
    >
    > Any help appreciated
    >
    > Thanks

    A rewriter works best as Secondary Master - and if you are using the DVD
    drive to read the originals (assuming your are looking to copy discs) it
    should be on a separate channel. Where it installs itself is dictated by
    the channel cable you connect to and the jumper settings on the unit
    itself.
    --
    slumpy
    no more
    slumpy, Oct 5, 2003
  7. buffy

    Richard Guest

    buffy wrote:

    > I have an ASUS A7A266-E M/Board and am thinking about installing a DVD
    > rewriter in addition to a CD Rewriter

    > In the BIOS I have the following which all operates on Auto Detection
    > of
    > drives

    > Primary Master Hard Drive
    > Primary Slave AUTO (Empty)
    > Secondary Master DVD Rom Drive
    > Secondary Slave CD Rewriter

    > I have two questions

    > 1.Would this be a standard setup in the BIOS to order these drives in
    > this
    > way?

    > 2. If I configured the jumper on the rear of a DVD Rewriter to slave,
    > would
    > it automatically be picked up as the Primary Slave?

    > Any help appreciated

    > Thanks

    If it has the option of "cable select", use that and forget it.
    Cable select will allow the drive to be used in which ever way is best.
    Richard, Oct 6, 2003