    I installed a new internal 500GB slave HD but am unable to access it
    since My Computer does not see it.. Any hints? I'd be grateful for any
    help.
    Gil, Jan 3, 2011

  2. Gil

    Jordon Guest

    Gil wrote:
    > I have an older Sony Vaio that was originally equipped with Win 98 (it
    > now has XP)
    > I installed a new internal 500GB slave HD but am unable to access it
    > since My Computer does not see it.. Any hints? I'd be grateful for any
    > help.

    Right-click My Computer and select Manage. Under Storage/Disk Management
    do you see it there? Windows may have assigned it a drive letter that's
    already in use, therefor it's hidden. If it's there, right-click it and
    change the drive letter.
    Jordon, Jan 3, 2011

  3. Gil

    Mike S. Guest

    In article <>,
    Gil <> wrote:
    >I have an older Sony Vaio that was originally equipped with Win 98 (it
    >now has XP)
    >I installed a new internal 500GB slave HD but am unable to access it
    >since My Computer does not see it.. Any hints? I'd be grateful for any
    >help.

    Partition and format the slave drive.

    START --> My Computer --> [right click] Manage ---> Storage-Disk
    Management
    Mike S., Jan 3, 2011
  4. Gil

    Patrick Guest

    Gil wrote:
    > I have an older Sony Vaio that was originally equipped with Win 98 (it
    > now has XP)
    > I installed a new internal 500GB slave HD but am unable to access it
    > since My Computer does not see it.. Any hints? I'd be grateful for any
    > help.

    Is the drive seen in 'Disk Management'

    Control Panel
    > Administrative Tools
    > Computer Management
    > Disk Management

    If it is, then it may just needs to be 'Activated' or/and 'Partitioned' and
    formatted
    Patrick, Jan 4, 2011
  5. Gil

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 3 Jan 2011 15:29:07 -0800 (PST), Gil wrote:

    > I have an older Sony Vaio that was originally equipped with Win 98 (it
    > now has XP)
    > I installed a new internal 500GB slave HD but am unable to access it
    > since My Computer does not see it.. Any hints? I'd be grateful for any
    > help.

    Did the box include a CD? Try running the setup disk.
    Once the drive is initialized and formatted, then windows will see it.
    I just did one and windows 7 sees it with no trouble.
    richard, Jan 4, 2011
  6. Gil

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 03 Jan 2011 16:57:28 -0700, §nühw¤£f wrote:

    > Gil wrote:
    >> I have an older Sony Vaio that was originally equipped with Win 98 (it
    >> now has XP)
    >> I installed a new internal 500GB slave HD but am unable to access it
    >> since My Computer does not see it.. Any hints? I'd be grateful for any
    >> help.

    > Suggest you find out how and if you need to enable it in the BIOS and
    > describe your cableing layout from drive to mobo in yer answer, mate.

    LOL!

    Subject: BIOS sees 500GB Slave HD but My Computer does not see it.

    Meat Plow, Jan 4, 2011
  7. Gil

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 04/01/2011 00:11, richard wrote:
    > On Mon, 3 Jan 2011 15:29:07 -0800 (PST), Gil wrote:
    >
    >> I have an older Sony Vaio that was originally equipped with Win 98 (it
    >> now has XP)
    >> I installed a new internal 500GB slave HD but am unable to access it
    >> since My Computer does not see it.. Any hints? I'd be grateful for any
    >> help.

    > Did the box include a CD? Try running the setup disk.

    WTF? ROFL!!!!!!!

    > Once the drive is initialized and formatted, then windows will see it.

    The only correct part of your answer.

    > I just did one and windows 7 sees it with no trouble.

    Don't worry, you can't be arrested for that (Probably)
    Desk Rabbit, Jan 4, 2011
  8. Gil

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 04/01/2011 17:01, Evan Platt wrote:
    > On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 16:05:11 +0000, Desk Rabbit<>
    > wrote:

    >>> Did the box include a CD? Try running the setup disk.

    >> WTF? ROFL!!!!!!!
    >>
    >>> Once the drive is initialized and formatted, then windows will see it.

    >> The only correct part of your answer.
    >>
    >>> I just did one and windows 7 sees it with no trouble.

    >> Don't worry, you can't be arrested for that (Probably)

    > Have you even seen a drive come with a CD in say the last 5 years?

    Longer. In fact so long ago I'm having trouble remembering. Maybe some
    retail boxes have CDs with them but they'll be full of shite that has
    SFA to do with getting the drive recognised by the OS.
    Desk Rabbit, Jan 4, 2011
  9. Gil

    Gil Guest

    On Jan 3, 6:43 pm, (Mike S.) wrote:
    > In article <>,
    >
    > Gil  <> wrote:
    > >I have an older Sony Vaio that was originally equipped with Win 98 (it
    > >now has XP)
    > >I installed a new internal 500GB slave HD but am unable to access it
    > >since My Computer does not see it.. Any hints? I'd be grateful for any
    > >help.

    > Partition and format the slave drive.
    >
    > START --> My Computer --> [right click] Manage ---> Storage-Disk
    > Management

    Thanks Mike. Problem is now solved due to your and the others input.
    Gil, Jan 4, 2011
  10. Gil

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 13:59:05 -0700, §nühw¤£f wrote:

    > Meat Plow wrote:

    >> (it

    >> it

    >> any
    >>>
    >>> Suggest you find out how and if you need to enable it in the BIOS

    >> and
    >>> describe your cableing layout from drive to mobo in yer answer,

    >> mate.
    >>
    >> LOL!
    >>
    >> Subject: BIOS sees 500GB Slave HD but My Computer does not see it.
    >>

    > Dont act so...whats the word? Oh yeah, "offended".

    Hello Pot. My name is Kettle. Please stop calling me black.

    ....heh

    Meat Plow, Jan 4, 2011
  11. Meat Plow <> pinched this steaming loaf
    <>:

    >On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 13:59:05 -0700, §nühw¤£f wrote:
    >
    >> Meat Plow wrote:

    98
    >>> (it
    >>> it

    for
    >>> any

    >>> and
    >>> mate.
    >>>
    >>> LOL!
    >>>
    >>> Subject: BIOS sees 500GB Slave HD but My Computer does not see it.
    >>>

    >> Dont act so...whats the word? Oh yeah, "offended".

    >Hello Pot. My name is Kettle. Please stop calling me black.
    >
    >...heh

    yer stuck in a loop...try ctl+z...

    §ñühw¤£f, Jan 5, 2011