    commands without getting that error message...
    ani ideas ...I've checked all mobo jumpers/connections
    and removed all other disks.. TIA ...
    Andrew, Jan 5, 2006

  2. Andrew

    old jon Guest

    "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm looking at a failed new build for a friend..
    > Winfast nf3ukm8a mobo / athlon 64
    > On first boot it gave ...
    > "Bios rom checksum error"
    > and read the A drive..
    > I read that i should attempt a flash,,,
    > I got the flash pgm and bios from the realtek site..
    > I reckon the only way i can get in to flash the bios is
    > by adding it to an ms dos boot diskette and continuing
    > from the error message....this appeared to be working
    > but now i continually get
    > "Type the name command interpreter"...I try telling
    > it to look on the floppy.. no use .. i can't enter any
    > commands without getting that error message...
    > ani ideas ...I've checked all mobo jumpers/connections
    > and removed all other disks.. TIA ...

    Hi Andy, go here and have a good read first:
    http://www.pcnineoneone.com/howto/biosflash1.html
    Read it all, so you understand what you`re doing.
    best wishes..OJ
    old jon, Jan 5, 2006

  3. Andrew

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Andrew spewed forth:
    > I'm looking at a failed new build for a friend..
    > Winfast nf3ukm8a mobo / athlon 64
    > On first boot it gave ...
    > "Bios rom checksum error"
    > and read the A drive..
    > I read that i should attempt a flash,,,
    > I got the flash pgm and bios from the realtek site..
    > I reckon the only way i can get in to flash the bios is
    > by adding it to an ms dos boot diskette and continuing
    > from the error message....this appeared to be working
    > but now i continually get
    > "Type the name command interpreter"...I try telling
    > it to look on the floppy.. no use .. i can't enter any
    > commands without getting that error message...
    > ani ideas ...I've checked all mobo jumpers/connections
    > and removed all other disks.. TIA ...

    You have to tell it the NAME of the command interpreter - usually
    A:command.com on a floppy disk. If you don't have command.com on the floppy
    disk, you need to get a bootable disk that works and has all the correct
    files on it.

    If this error message is coming up when booting from the hard drive, then
    the command interpreter could be different places, even different names. But
    if you haven't installed a working OS on the HD, you don't have one there in
    the first place. Have you installed an OS? If so, which one? (I don't think
    NT/W2K/XP use a command interpreter like the Win9X and DOS boot systems
    did...)

    Toolman Tim, Jan 5, 2006
  4. Andrew

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Andrew spewed forth:
    > I'm looking at a failed new build for a friend..
    > Winfast nf3ukm8a mobo / athlon 64
    > On first boot it gave ...
    > "Bios rom checksum error"

    That message usually only means that the time and date and stuff in CMOS
    wasn't set right.

    I think you should probably leave the building of systems to someone who
    knows what they are doing.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 5, 2006
  5. Andrew

    Plato Guest

    Andrew wrote:

    > I'm looking at a failed new build for a friend..

    The first time I went out on a service call to do the same, the "new
    builder" screwed the mobo directly onto the metal plate with no
    standoffs. Luckily, it didn't phark the mobo and I was able to salvage
    his mistake.

    He was also working on his living rooms shag carpet, and had all the
    parts laid out on the shag rug, in the wintertime, no less. ie static
    city.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jan 5, 2006
  6. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 12:02:24 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:

    >In news:,
    >Andrew spewed forth:
    >> I'm looking at a failed new build for a friend..
    >> Winfast nf3ukm8a mobo / athlon 64
    >> On first boot it gave ...
    >> "Bios rom checksum error"
    >> and read the A drive..
    >> I read that i should attempt a flash,,,
    >> I got the flash pgm and bios from the realtek site..
    >> I reckon the only way i can get in to flash the bios is
    >> by adding it to an ms dos boot diskette and continuing
    >> from the error message....this appeared to be working
    >> but now i continually get
    >> "Type the name command interpreter"...I try telling
    >> it to look on the floppy.. no use .. i can't enter any
    >> commands without getting that error message...
    >> ani ideas ...I've checked all mobo jumpers/connections
    >> and removed all other disks.. TIA ...

    >You have to tell it the NAME of the command interpreter - usually
    >A:command.com on a floppy disk.

    I've told it that many times ... and i've used several different
    boot floppys ... all which had command.com on them..along with
    the rest,,,

    If you don't have command.com on the floppy
    >disk, you need to get a bootable disk that works and has all the correct
    >files on it.

    >If this error message is coming up when booting from the hard drive, then
    >the command interpreter could be different places, even different names. But
    >if you haven't installed a working OS on the HD, you don't have one there in
    >the first place. Have you installed an OS? If so, which one? (I don't think
    >NT/W2K/XP use a command interpreter like the Win9X and DOS boot systems
    >did...)

    >The hd drive has an operating system on it .. from another system...

    it has windows xp pro ... a cracked copy i think..actually..you're
    right ... this is a dangerous task to take on eh ?..
    point taken .. ta all.
    Andrew, Jan 6, 2006
  7. Andrew

    Ben Myers Guest

    Try creating a new boot floppy. I suggest the "Driver-free disk".

    http://www.bootdisk.com

    Ben

    Ben Myers, Jan 6, 2006