    Does it matter whether the m/b battery's in or out?

    --
    Kenny Cargill
    Kenny, Feb 12, 2006

  2. Kenny

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 21:48:00 +0000, Kenny wrote:

    > Does it matter whether the m/b battery's in or out?

    yes
    Meat Plow, Feb 12, 2006

  3. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    Thought so but why? What happens if it's reset with battery out?

    --
    Kenny Cargill

    Kenny, Feb 12, 2006
  4. Kenny

    Swiss Tony Guest

    "Kenny" <> wrote in message
    > Thought so but why? What happens if it's reset with battery out?
    >
    > --
    > Kenny Cargill
    >
    > "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    > > On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 21:48:00 +0000, Kenny wrote:
    > >
    > >> Does it matter whether the m/b battery's in or out?

    > > yes

    usually the battery being taken out will reset the board anyway.
    Swiss Tony, Feb 12, 2006
  5. Kenny

    Mike Easter Guest

    Kenny wrote:
    > Does it matter whether the m/b battery's in or out?

    Are you talking about trying to reset a bios to solve a bios password
    'problem' or are you talking about something else?

    If you are going to talk about resetting bios/es, you should be much
    more specific about both what you are talking about doing and why, and
    what the specific mobo and bios it is you are talking about.

    Some bios/es reset by removing the battery. Some don't. Some mobo
    bios/es have backdoors for resetting, some don't. Some mobo bios/es
    have jumpers for resetting, some don't.

    What exactly are you trying to do and why and what mobo and bios are you
    trying to do it with?

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Feb 12, 2006
  6. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    I got a long winded call from a friend who couldn't get into the bios at
    all, he was using the right key for his PC. He took the battery out but
    shorted the points as well. Now PC won't start at all, no beeps, nothing
    but fans running.
    Says he was trying to fresh re-install XP, it appeared to go all right until
    "installing devices" then got error messages about drivers missing then
    bluescreening.
    Tried a few times with same results then discovered he couldn't even get to
    BIOS.

    --
    Kenny Cargill

    Kenny, Feb 12, 2006
  7. Kenny

    PC Guest

    "Kenny" <> wrote in message
    >I got a long winded call from a friend who couldn't get into the bios at
    >all, he was using the right key for his PC. He took the battery out but
    >shorted the points as well. Now PC won't start at all, no beeps, nothing
    >but fans running.
    > Says he was trying to fresh re-install XP, it appeared to go all right
    > until "installing devices" then got error messages about drivers missing
    > then bluescreening.
    > Tried a few times with same results then discovered he couldn't even get
    > to BIOS.
    >
    > --
    > Kenny Cargill

    Oh oh,
    Did he have the power on when he shorted the 'points'
    May have damaged the board.

    On the otherhand the hardware may have been dying any way (why was he
    reinstalling?) and it was just cooincidence.

    If the Power supply voltages are correct then the only option is to reduce
    the hardware to the bare minimum (mboard, ram, cpu, video) and see if it
    still works.
    If it starts add hardware till it breaks then you know the culprit.
    If it doesn't start, check removable components in another PC with suitable
    spec's.

    Cheers
    Paul.
    PC, Feb 12, 2006
  8. Kenny

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Swiss Tony spewed forth:
    > "Kenny" <> wrote in message
    >> Thought so but why? What happens if it's reset with battery out?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Kenny Cargill
    >>
    >> "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message

    >>> yes
    >>>

    > usually the battery being taken out will reset the board anyway.

    Eventually. But I've seen some boards retain settings even overnight with
    the battery out.

    Toolman Tim, Feb 12, 2006
  9. Kenny

    Plato Guest

    Kenny wrote:

    > Does it matter whether the m/b battery's in or out?

    Leave the battery in.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Feb 13, 2006
  10. Kenny

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 23:06:33 +0000, Kenny wrote:

    > I got a long winded call from a friend who couldn't get into the bios at
    > all, he was using the right key for his PC. He took the battery out but
    > shorted the points as well. Now PC won't start at all, no beeps, nothing
    > but fans running.
    > Says he was trying to fresh re-install XP, it appeared to go all right
    > until "installing devices" then got error messages about drivers missing
    > then bluescreening.
    > Tried a few times with same results then discovered he couldn't even get
    > to BIOS.

    Got to unplug the PSU if you do that. He's smoked it.
    Meat Plow, Feb 13, 2006